“REALLY NICE”

Ranked #43 of 153 Torquay B&B and Inns
Birmingham
“REALLY NICE”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 August 2014 via mobile

To be honest I stayed here as my usual guest house in Paignton was full and I was apprehensive about going elsewhere. . why did i worry..Staying here was great. Off st parking.nice attentative host. . Great wifi. Lovely room.soundproof windows..comfy bed. Breakfast was well cooked and large. Really enjoyed it .close to Torquay. Definitely stay again.

Stayed August 2014, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (36)
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 August 2014 via mobile

How this hotel got the stars it has I don't know. The room is tiny and dated. The bathroom was awful. There was a cigarette butt on top of the wardrobe and sweet wrappers. Obviously not cleaned tidy! The breakfast room wasn't open at the times we were told. Only two choices for breakfast! I won't be recommending or revisiting this hotel.

Stayed August 2014, travelled with family
Leicester
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 August 2014

Over the last 36 years I am frequently using hotels and guest houses as I travel throughout the country in business and this is the best and most reasonable one that I have come across. The breakfast is excellent; the rooms comfortable and the care and attention given by the owner is first class. It truly is a bargain and I would certainly stay there again and recommend to anyone - well done, you deserve every success for the hard work you have put into making it the wonderful place that it is. - Yan

• Stayed August 2014, travelled on business
Feilding
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 July 2014

The hosts friendly and helpful, our double bedroom cosy and clean ( as was the rest of the complex), breakfast serves delicious and generous, our bedroom overlooked a spacious and picturesque park. Great central location to town centre. Would definitely stay there again!

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank AlayneB2013
Aldershot, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 July 2014

We stayed here for one night.. We found the room to be clean and tidy, The staff were very helpful and pleasant. Breakfast was good and with plenty of choice.. We stayed in a small double room which was en-suite which overlooked the park..The guest house has been recently taken over by different people and they are in the throws of doing it up. So It would unfair of me to make any comment about the decor .All in all I found it to be a pleasant and enjoyable stay..

Room Tip: Ask for a room at the front of the guest house
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank catwoman34
Copenhagen, Denmark
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 July 2014 via mobile

We booked a room here and tried our very best to get there in time. But how could we know that the ferry from Torpoint was on strike that very day? On top of that my phone was out of charge, so I could not call Tusker Lodge and tell them. I call that force majeure.
But there was nothing to do. After a tough driving over Dartmoor we arrived at 8 p.m. in stead of 7 p.m. and tried for over half an hour to get in touch with anyone at the lodge. No luck - we even borrowed a phone and tried to call the number, but no answer. We had to book the place next door because I was exhausted and could go no further. I was travelling with my big boy, and I am the only driver. Next morning I tried to talk to the owner, but she hardly listened to me. There was no understanding from her.
We will never go to Torquay again. Worst experience ever in England.

Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
3 Thank birengen
Carole C, Owner at Tusker Lodge Guest House, responded to this review, 13 July 2014
I am sorry that you feel that you had such a bad experience in Torquay, I hope that you can learn from your experience how very important it is to be prepared and organised when travelling abroad, for instance checking that ferries are running and ensuring that you have means of contacting people. Our check in times are clearly stated, I had already waited 45 minutes past last check in to see if you arrived late, on your booking form you said that you would be here between 5pm and 6pm. We are a family run business and cannot be on the premises 24/7. Your comment that I hardly listened to you is unfair, the fact is, what could I do? You were asking me for a refund, should my business also suffer because people do not plan their journeys? As I explained, I could have let the room to someone else had I known that you would not show up during the allotted check in times. I also recommended you to contact your travel insurance company for compensation.
I did look for a missed call from you and I noticed that there was a call from a Danish telephone number at around the time that you said you were here, a coincidence or actually your sons phone that I have him on camera using while you were sat out the front of the hotel? In which case could you not have borrowed your sons phone to call me to let me know you would be late I could then have made arrangements to let you in after check in closed. Alternatively, a pay phone would have done the job just as well. I am extremely lenient with guests checking in early or late.... provided they let me know in advance!!! I actually had a guest check in at 12:30am on Saturday morning as she had arranged this with me and called to update me of any changes to her travel plans.
In short, you have given our guest house a terrible review (extremely damaging to a small business such as ourselves) for a problem that was of your own making… I would give you a similar, if not worse, score for your organisational skills.
Pontypridd
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 June 2014

Just stayed at this hotel, found the room to be clean and tidy, staff were great as was the breakfast, the hotel is situated close to the town centre which was also a big plus, well worth a visit will book again when in the area

Room Tip: Stayed in room 11 which is small but Very functional .
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled on business