We chose this establishment for a last minute summer break after reading the very positive reviews on Tripadvisor. On arrival we were given a friendly and informative welcome by Marion the owner. The room we had (No 3) was a good size with adequate storage for our clothes, two tub chairs and a small table. Tea and Coffee making facilities were provided along with a hairdryer and complimentary bathroom products. The rooms was equipped with a flat screen televison and freeview, however the screen was a little small and reception on some channels was poor. Free Wi fi broadband was provided, the connection was reliable and a decent speed.
The room was very clean, with good quality and very comfortable zip & link bed, bed linen and towel very of high standard. There was an en suite shower room with shower curtain fitted to an expanding shower rail; this proved to be a nuisance as it did it hold well when the room was wet and needed refitting several times, both by us and cleaning staff. The room was well maintained and appeared to have been recently re-decorated, (temporary nails used to hold architrave above shower tiles had been forgotten).
Marion and Les, the owners were friendly and enthusiatic about their home and the area, always ready to offer advice to guests. Breakfast was served buffet style and there was a great choice of cereal, fruit, cakes, and bread, along with a range of well cooked hot food. Each day there was a choice of Les's excellent home made bread, jams and marmalade. Marion and Les went out of their way to accommodate individual dietery requirements of guests.
The Charterhouse, offers ample free car parking at the bottom of a steep gravel drive, the driveway and steps into the property may not suit guests with reduced mobility. The guesthouse is located in a quiet area close to the sea front around 1 mile from Torquay making it a 20-25 minute stroll along the sea wall, idea for a stroll in nice weather. Cockington Court Country Park is 10 minute walk from The Charterhouse, this comprises of a large country house, walled garden and selection of craft based units including a Glass blower and Blacksmiths, it is well worth a visit.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Family run B&B with a warm welcome and delicious breakfasts. Just a short stroll from Country Park, Thatched Village and Beach. Available for short breaks or longer stays. Please ring for further information or visit our website. Within walking distance of Torquay. Large car park, beautiful gardens and in quiet location. Free wifi throughout and small heated outdoor swimming pool open in the summer. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, TripOnline SA, Odigeo, Priceline and Evoline ltd so you can book your The Charterhouse reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Charterhouse Hotel Torquay
- The Charterhouse Torquay, Devon