“Great B&B for families”

Ranked #4 of 148 Torquay B&B and Inns
Watlington, United Kingdom
“Great B&B for families”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 January 2014

We booked three rooms for a long weekend break and we had our three year old with us as well. We stayed in the family room which was excellent as our daughter had her own room and the welcome we received was second to none. We had come down for the Agatha Christie festival and Marion and Les could not have been more helpful with guiding us around Torquay and how to get from place to place. The breakfasts were superb with homemade bread and jam and a full English breakfast together with a lovely choice of cereals. They made us all feel so welcome and the added benefit of the family room made it a lovely long weekend away. The location was great as it is a two minute walk to the beach and about a 15 minute walk at three year old speed into town.

Room Tip: The family room is ideal if you are travelling with children
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (158)
  • Polish first
Bristol, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 November 2013

I have just returned home from a 10 day stay at Charterhouse and have never had the pleasure of staying in such a wonderful B&B. I was in Torquay on business and sometimes working unsociable hours, but Marion and Les really made my colleague and I feel at home. They were on hand to do anything to help; whether it was directing us to the best place to eat, letting us use the wonderfully comfortable lounge or dining room to work or having a pot of tea ready for when my rain-soaked boss arrived...nothing was a problem and was handled with a warm smile. The breakfasts were delicious, we were spoilt for choice and had plenty to try over the 10 days. As well as Les's bread my favourite was Marion's home made blueberry pancakes (I think I want the recipe)! The excellent location, meant getting around was easy and it would definately tempt me back as a great spot for actually having a holiday too!

Room Tip: I stayed in the double room No.2 and the Superior Room upstairs. I preferred being higher up than do...
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
Southampton, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 November 2013

The hotel is set in amongst the trees and is just two minutes walk from the sea. The owners of the hotel were so warm and friendly that I was made to feel at home from the moment I arrived. The breakfast was excellent. There were homemade bread and jams, cereals, fruit and a fantastic cooked breakfast each morning. I stayed in a beautiful garden room perfect for relaxing and writing. Of all the places I have stayed this is without doubt my favourite. I'd love to stay here again and would recommend it to friends and family.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled solo
2 Thank AmyOct2013
Yorkshire
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 November 2013 via mobile

We stayed at this lovely hotel over the weekend 1st - 4th November. We booked the Riviera Room. A delightful dual aspect room with a bathroom that as well as being large and modern has mood lighting. Sigh. A pleasure I could do with at home! Marion and Les are so friendly and welcoming. Breakfast is well cooked and varied. Accompanied by Les's home made breads, jams and marmalades (the pumpkin seed bread and whisky marmalade were my lovely husband's favourites) Yummy. There is a swimming pool but it was much too cold for us to use, brilliant for summer though. If you are going to Torquay a stay at the Charter house Hotel would be my recommendation.

Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
Cardiff, Wales
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 November 2013

Just returned from 3 nights at the Charterhouse. Situated near Cockington, the position is great and we were able to leave the car in the car park and walk into Torquay and Paignton easily. The train station is also in easy walking distance, we took the train to Newton Abbot for a look around. As for the hosts, nothing is too much trouble. They are both on hand to advise and you are made to feel very welcome. The breakfasts are brilliant, just as good as a 4 star hotel! The bread is delicious and there are home made jams, marmalades and chutneys. The food was amazing. However, best of all was the warmth and genuine caring nature of Marion. Ask her for anything and she will sort it. She deserves 5 stars! Thanks for a great stay. We will be back!

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
Roermond, The Netherlands
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 October 2013

My three sisters and I had a great stay in 'The Charterhouse". Marion knows the nicest places in and around Torquay and how to get there. She told us about the best tearoom in town and of course we have been there; the cream tea was great indeed! 'The Charterhouse' has good, comfortable beds and every day we enjoyed a very, very delicious breakfast. Marion can really entertain the guests and is only satisfied when the guests feel comfortable! Thank you Marion!

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 October 2013

Just back from 3 raining days in Torquay, celebrating my birthday, staying with Les and Marion at The Charterhouse. Arrived in the middle of a monsoon and within minutes a pot of tea had arrived in our room complete with biscuits. Just what we needed. It was the start of a perfect few days. From the lovely bath robes to the yummy breakfasts (complete with Les's homemade bread and jams). To totally mirror the other comments, Marion really knows Torquay and acts as travel guide as well as host. I was also lucky enough to be staying in the lovely Riviera room (thanks to my lovely boyfriend) - which is above the standard of any b and b I have ever stayed in. A real treat. Our only issue was having to leave...

• Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple