“Brilliant .....”

Ranked #3 of 87 Hotels in Torquay
Berkshire
“Brilliant .....”
Reviewed 31 December 2009

We found the Marstan after searching on Trip Advisor and we are pleased we did. Our reception could have not been better; the first words Craig said was "can I get you some tea or coffee"? The rooms are spotlessly clean, tidy and well presented. The porridge is the best I have ever had and the traditional English breakfast was well cooked with a good choice. It was a pleasure to stay at the Marstan and we look forward to our next stay. Thank you guys it was a great Christmas.

• Stayed December 2009, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (80)
Dublin
Reviewed 27 October 2009

My girlfriend and I stayed here recently for a long weekend and had a great time. Craig, the owner, was an excellent host and advised us correctly on where to visist and where to eat and drink. If you are looking for a comfortable B&B/hotel in Torquay with the extra touch of personal service but without the mod cons of a larger hotel then I would suggest you stay here. You might be lucky enough to hear Craig on the grand piano, if not ask him for a tune. Like previous reviews, the nearby Orange Tree restaurant is a must, ask Craig to book in advance so you won't be disappointed. Overall highly recommended.

• Stayed October 2009, travelled as a couple
Bristol
Reviewed 30 September 2009

Yet another great stay at the hotel. The room we stayed this time was a King room (no 10) worth paying more - the room was quiet and decorated lovely. The breakfast was fantasic - nothing is ever too much trouble and their is always a great selection of breakfast - poached eggs are great and porridge is delicious! The owners and staff are so professional and friendly. The hotel is very clean and tidy. I would definately recommend this hotel to anybody and I am sure you will have a great stay just like I did - I have already recommended this guest house to colleagues.

• Stayed September 2009
London
Reviewed 7 September 2009

My partner and I had a wonderful few days at the Marstan. We had not visited Torquay before and wondered where we might stay. Recommendations on Tripadvisor swayed our decision. This is a beautiful hotel in an excellent location. Both Ian and Craig were excellent hosts throughout and made us so welcome. If you're thinking of staying in Torquay, you'll be delighted with the Marstan. We'll be back!

• Stayed July 2009, travelled as a couple
Nuneaton
Reviewed 27 August 2009

Simply Excellent.
From check-in to check-out, your made to feel very welcome by both Ian and Craig.
The hotel is immaculate, and offers a feeling of relaxed, peaceful elegance. My wife and I stayed in the family room with our 11 year old granddaughter. The room was very clean with nice bed linen and soft towels.
The breakfasts were great. Using high quality produce - just try the bacon which was the best I've ever had, my granddaughter loved the sausages.
The week we stayed the sun wasn't shining too much but was warm without any rain, this didn't stop my granddaughter from using the heated pool however, me and the wife stuck to the hot tub !!
Ian and Craig kindly hand out a list of recommended eateries, I would have liked to try The Orange Tree but thought that the little one would have struggled with the menu. we enjoyed the Italian - 'Bianco's' most of all. For a pub then 'The Hole in the Wall' is very good. Also try the 'Osbourne Club' which is very near to the Marstan, they offer quality food served on a fantastic terrace overlooking the sea - surprisingly inexpensive.
We returned to the Marstan every night for a 'relaxer' in the bar, a very nice bottle of wine resulted in us returning nightly!
Thanks Again Ian and Craig, the 3 of us had a lovely staycation..

• Stayed August 2009, travelled with family
1 Thank GemmasGranddad
uk
Reviewed 25 August 2009

This hotel is excellent. Tucked away for the hub bub of the lively town. Which is only a 10 minute walk down the hill. With the excellent restaurants around you need the walk up the hill!!!!
Craig and Ian are utterly charming and nothing is too much trouble. They both take great pride in their hotel.
Decor, cleanliness is absolutely superb.
Great gardens with a lovely swimming pool kept very clean.
Breakfasts to die for and are made while you wait which is brilliant. Nice and fresh local produce and organic food used.
Craig and Ian have a great list of local restaurants for you to dine.
Would highly recommend the Orange Tree, lovely food and attentive staff.
Also went to the mexican restaurant, called Jingles portions very large.
Lovely walk to Meadfoot Beach, cafe and costal route into town.
Would defintely go again. Thank you Craig and Ian.

• Stayed August 2009, travelled as a couple
London, UK
Reviewed 18 August 2009

Having read Tripadvisor before booking (as I always do these days!) I had no qualms about what we would find when we arrived in Torquay at the Marstan. And we weren't disappointed one bit!
Ian met us and booked us in with a coffee and after about ten minutes, we were sitting by the pool with a gin and tonic! The room we had was the four poster one (room 6) and it was absolutely immaculate, not to mention very special. Flat screen TV, lovely bathroom, view over the pool... I just couldn't have asked for any more.
After a little time spent in the hot tub, Craig came over to replenish our glasses. He then suggested the Orange Tree for dinner and booked it for us. That in itself was an experience, beautiful food, wine and service. When we came back, we had a drink in the bar with some fellow guests and ambled to bed with lovely fluffy pillows.
The next morning we had a superb breakfast (fussy veggie that I am) but nothing was any trouble. The scrambled egg was the best I have ever had, apart from my mum's and that is saying something!
All in all, this is one of the nicest places I have ever stayed. Ian and Craig are fantastic hosts and go out of their way to make you feel valued. I am definitely going back (hopefully with my extended family) and can't wait.
No one could be disappointed with the Marstan... I just hope that with all these rave reviews we won't have trouble booking in future!!!

• Stayed August 2009, travelled as a couple