“A HIDDEN LITTLE GEM!”
Review of The Buccaneer Inn

The Buccaneer Inn
Ranked #133 of 149 Torquay B&B and Inns
Reviewed 17 September 2013

We where do I start, we only found out about this fantastic little place by accident, as I was looking at all the B&B`s on Babbacomb Downs, which is where we had chosen to stay, however, they were all booked up so I carried on looking on google map and just noticed the pub which I found very quaint and colourful with all the glorious plants. As I zoomed in to take a closer look, I noticed a sign in an upstairs window advertising luxurious rooms to rent and I was lucky enough to secure my booking!! So we have just spent 4 lovely days at the Buccaneer Inn.
I was a bit dubious about staying above a pub, because of the noise aspect and never having done it before, however I had nothing to worry about as these Two exquisite rooms have been very cleverly sound proofed so even on very busy Friday and saturday nights we could hear nothing!!!! The rooms have a huge fabulous indoor balcony with seating and panaramic views across the bay. They are lovely and clean, very modern and the bed was devine! It had a very spacious immaculately clean bathroom with beautiful crisp, clean and pure white linen! (They don`t call me the hotel Inspector for nothing!) There was tea, coffee and biscuits on arrival with fresh milk in a small fridge and there is also a microwave should you bring a late night snack back!
Marion will cook you a breakfast if you order the night before, however, there is no need as there are a number of good little cafes offering excellent breakfasts, one being right next door!

What I really loved about staying here is that the Owners are very warm and welcoming and upfront about their room service which is: there is none! This meant that we were left alone for the whole of our stay as they do not provide cleaners or someone to make your bed, which was great as I like my privacy, and I did not have to tidy my room every day!! But if you needed anything replacing you only had to ask! I would recommend these rooms to anyone, I have stayed In Five star Hotels which did not have comfortable beds nor did they have that personal service.

Food is excellent!! but I must warn you not to have lunch before you come for an evening meal as the meals are HUGE! Meals are delivered to your table but, having seen some of the reviews moaning about having to help themelves, DO NOT EXPECT TO BE WAITED ON, THIS IS A PUB SERVING INEXPENSIVE RESTAURANT QUALITY FOOD NOT AN EXPENSIVE RESTAURANT, THIS IS REFLECTED IN THE PRICE! There are plentiful , good quality condiments and utensils to set your table yourself whilst you are waiting for your food and be sure to get yourself a drink before you sit down to your meal as it is not waitress service.

If you are Traditional ales drinkers then you will be in PARADISE! as the beer is fantastic and obviously Steve and Marion really care, as this reflected in the taste, after all their dedication and hard work, it has paid off, as they have achieved the coverted CAMRA membership award this year and they really deserve it! My husband was in his element, being a CAMRA member this was the pub of his dreams!
All in all we had a fantastic stay at the Buccaneer which was all down to Steve, Marion and their fantastic team! and for this, Keith and I would like to say a massive thank-you to you all!

WE WILL BE BACK!!!

Kind regards
Mandy

Room Tip: Two rooms only, both of a very high quality with panaramic views across the bay, book them up quick...
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank mandy w

Reviewed 5 September 2013

We stayed two nights in The Sloop room. Big comfortable bed spotlessly clean with beautiful views across the bay. The food in the pub was 1st class and hosts Steve and Marion were very welcoming.There's a lovely atmosphere in The Buccaneer and will be visiting again.

• Stayed: August 2013
Reviewed 22 August 2013

My husband and I stayed at The Buccaneer Inn for six nights as a last minute booking and we loved everything about it! We booked the spacious, beautifully decorated Sloop room which boasts stunning panoramic views over Lyme Bay from the seating area. The double bed was comfortable, there is a good sized en-suite shower room, also in the room is a small fridge and microwave with the usual beverage tray.
The Buccaneer is a family and dog friendly pub with a lively atmosphere serving great food - you might have to wait if they're busy but it's worth it! Good service from all the staff working there.
Marion and Steve are friendly, welcoming and helpful hosts and if we return to Babbacombe (which is likely as it's a fantastic place) we'll definitely stay at the Buccaneer again.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 20 August 2013

We stayed the buccaneer for a 3 night stay, we initially thought we had paid for b&b but this was not the case we found when we checked in on arrival. The sloop room we stayed in was lovely with an ocean front view of babbacombe beach. We had tea/coffee making facilities with a small fridge and microwave, however these were never topped up and our bed was never made up by room service. We also had a tv in the room which only received 1 channel which was a little limiting. The staff were helpful and friendly and the outside area was lovely in the evening for a nice glass of wine. We didnt eat in the pub however it was always busy and the choice and variety seemed good at reasonable prices. I would stay in this location again as its picturesque with all the amenities you require. The Cary arms pub is a must with lovely sea views over the bay,it's about a 5-10 walk down by the side of the theatre. Torquay town is 5-10 minutes by car or a 35 minute walk. The model village and the Kent caves are definitely worth a visit. I enjoyed my stay at the buccaneer however i would look about at other accommodation in the area where breakfast was included.

Buccaneermanagement, Owner at The Buccaneer Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 24 August 2013

Dear Simone R, thanks for confirming how beautiful the room and view is and complementing the staff friendliness.
Regarding your other comments it seems that unfortunately you did not read the website correctly when making your booking, as it very clearly states that breakfast is not included in the price. This makes the rooms at the Buccaneer substantially cheaper than hotels in the area and gives guests the choice of ordering breakfast when here should they require it - which you declined to do.
We do not in any of our advertising, website or otherwise, make any pretense to be a hotel and so do not provide a maid service to make beds or top up consumable items provided in rooms. However, we always tell guests to ask if they need anything at all, and you did not request anything to be replaced during your stay, so it is a little unfair to criticize this in your review.
Also, the TV has over 50 channels and was working fine when I checked it after seeing your review - you presumably hadn't used the remote control correctly.

Reviewed 5 October 2012

We were very fortunate to come across this hotel because our visit wasn't planned! We managed to find this hotel which is absolutely beautiful in every way. The people that run it are lovely and really make you feel at home, the food, service and breakfast was also fantastic. The room was beautiful and the view from the room is stunning. We will definitely be returning and wouldn't want to stay anywhere else.

• Stayed: August 2012
2  Thank Sahman1
Reviewed 19 August 2012

stayed here 3 weeks ago for 4 days the accomadation and food was that good we booked and went back last week for 5 days, the host's marion and steve always give you a warm and friendly welcome and are always smiling, we will be back again in september/ october without a doubt

Room Tip: rooms in babbacomb
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family
4  Thank Annette G
Reviewed 25 July 2012

We found this room on the Internet after a random search and we are so glad we went for it!
The room we stayed in was beautiful and had the most amazing view of the coast, the couple that own the pub were so lovely and welcoming, it made us feel right at home, they were also really knowledgeable about the local area and suggested lots of things we could do over the weekend.
The pub itself is so friendly with great staff and we found ourselves having a drink in there every night.
I really cannot recommend this place enough and cannot wait to go back!

• Stayed: July 2012