“Average food”

Basil's Brasserie
Price range: US$6 - US$30
Cuisines: Contemporary, British
Good for: View
Description: Basil's Brasserie of Wellswood, Torquay. Come and sample freshly prepared, locally sourced produce by award winning Head Chef Matt Steer and his team. Relax and enjoy the spectacular views out across Lyme Bay. Open lunchtimes and evenings 7 days including our superb 3 course Sunday Roast.
Reviewed 15 February 2014

When I went for evening meal on both nights I was only offered the daily table d'hôte menu which was adequate but not fantastic, I would have preferred a bigger choice that was offered by the a la carte menu. The staff were multi tasking, running the bar as well, and you could see the stress kicking in, I decided not to add to their woes.

Reviewed 7 February 2014

Was good but nothing outstanding about our meal dont think I would return, not particular reason though just lacked atmosphere

Reviewed 19 January 2014

Enjoyed eating at Basils. Looking out over the sea whilst eating is a massive bonus day or night .Meal well presented,and very attentive staff.A good experience.

Reviewed 5 June 2013

I would like to take this opportunity to thank The Hotel Gleneagles, Torquay for what I can only describe as one of the best dining experiences ever! I have travelled extensively around the UK, Europe and Asia, but in total honesty The Gleneagles is really up there on the overall scale.

Firstly, I would like to compliment the manager and his staff for being attentive, kind, professional and welcoming. They really did make us feel very settled and we just knew we were in for a treat from the moment we arrived. We were welcomed with a friendly, heart felt smile from the general manager who went out of his way to ensure that we were well looked afer by his staff. The staff by the way ran around like clock work-with clear concise direction and where everyone knew what their individual roles were. This was a delight to see in comparison to some other restaurants we have visited whereby staff run around-looking busy but actually not doing anything constructive. This was not the case at Basils. Compliments for this must go to the manager!
So we were welcomed, and quickly taken to the bar area where we enjoyed an extensive wine menu which was perfect for us. The wine was perfectly chilled and we got to tatse it whilst also receiving a knowledgable commentary from the manager on its background, heritage and bouqet. Thank you for this-it was nice to be greeted with such honesty and overall knowledge!
Soon it was time to enter the restaurant area-beautifully decorated and welcoming. The staff could not do enough to accomodate our needs, pulling out chairs and making sure that we were happy with our view. The menu was, like thne menu, extensive and really catered to our needs! In fact there was so many delicious items on the menu that I cannot wait to go back again so we can begin to work our way through the tasty treats!

I really would recommend going here. Again, I feel it is important to applaud the staff-it is all too easy on trip advisor to criticise staff, but many forget to celebrate when they have received good service. We were well attended to, but not harassed, our needs were met and the manager did make sure that we were happy with our chocies, offered some fantastic recommendations and checked on us regularly to ensure everything was to our liking. Having said this, his kind friendly nature was not overwhelming and we did not feel as though there were 3 of us at the table-I would say he had the customer service skills down to a fine art.

Well done to everyone at Basils Brasserie, we will definitely be coming back soon!

Keep doing what you are doing!

Cheers

Reviewed 5 May 2013

Basil's is within the hotel, so dined here two days out of three, definitely a good choice. Smiling staff delivered delicious food, plates were cleaned with the honey glazed sausage on champ, and the seafood linguini, highly recommended.