“I am hungry”

Lavani
Price range: US$6 - US$32
Cuisines: Indian, Seafood
Dining options: Dinner, After-hours, Breakfast, Lunch, Delivery, Reservations
Description: Experience the uncomprehendingly mysterious power of culinary India at Lavani.With two prestigious awards in its first year of trading (AAA Award Of Excellence & Taste of the West-Gold Award), Lavani is a speciality Indian restaurant with an accent of regional Indian and Anglo-Indian cuisine for the global palate.Light,modern and sophisticated dishes that pay homage to the power of culinary India,defines Lavani. Situated only a short walk away from Kents Cavern, English Riviera's most beautiful coves (Meadfoot and Ansteys) and the famous South West Coastal Path we pride ourselves on the quality of service and quality of our ingredients.• Mild, subtle and delicate Flavours of India• Cookery Demo and Dinner Evenings• Imaginative Indian cocktail and Indian wines• 20% Discount Senior citizens card• 15% Discount Hospitality Card• Complimentary Birthday Package• Winter Warmer Menu• Live Music Evenings•LAVANI DIY Spice Packs & Marinades. Party Menu. We are delightful in many ways. While for some it is one of the finest speciality Indian restaurants, to others it is an amazing English Riviera retreat. And there are those that love it for its rose water and saffron marinated walls studded with themed art, red chilli flavoured chairs, buttermilk swish linen and its friendly family feel. Imaginative cuisine, undeniably happening ambience, the flavours, the aroma, the live cooking sounds and the artistic display, presented with the Lavani signature of hospitality. All come together in perfect harmony in an exciting new avatar! Our Cuisine: Careful blending of genuine Indian cooking traditions with high quality, high-end British high in protein, low in fat ingredients not often found in Indian cuisine such as scallops,wild boar,goat,lobster,mutton,wood pigeon,venison,caviar,quail, calf's liver,ostrich and more creates unique and distinct dishes.We take away the heaviness usually akin to Indian dishes and we're focusing on minimising the usage of oil and fat.The extremely comprehensive menu of dishes demonstrates how ancient wisdom and regional traditional cooking styles have been blended with British traditions evolving to become what we get on our plates today.Dig in! Be thrilled! Let the spirit of Lavani enliven you!
Torquay, United Kingdom
“I am hungry”
Reviewed 9 July 2014

My family and I have just left Lavani having waited for over 1 hour for food which we never received .
We arrived at the restaurant at 7.30pm the only people in the restaurant and ordered a starter and main course each after 45 minutes we enquired where our food was and were told it was on its way after 1 hour with nothing and with only 4 other people in the restaurant we left having had no food. There was no ology for this .

We are locals and have tried 3 time a to eat here and it has always been a disaster. We shall not go back again.

• Visited July 2014
4 Thank pennyg421

Worcester, United Kingdom
“Dreadful experience”
Reviewed 6 July 2014 via mobile

This restaurant has a lot of excellent reviews, which is why we went. Maybe it was just a bad night, but it was one of the worst dining experiences we have ever had. Alarm bells should have rung when we were told by the waiter that it was very busy tonight, even though there were only four tables occupied. Waited ten minutes for the drinks menu and the a further fifteen minutes for our order to be taken. The waiter knew next to nothing about the menu,but we let that go. After twenty minutes our starters arrived, my wife's onion bhaji was ok, my crab cake was a tasteless lump of mush. As the menu was so extensive and different, again I let this pass as I thought the main would be worth the wait. Unfortunately, we then waited over an hour for the mains and when they did eventually arrive, they were poor, over sweet lamb for my wife and a very average chicken curry with cheap meat for me. Refused to pay full price for our meals and will not be going back. The poor couple next to us waited an hour over a bottle of wine and didn't even get to see the menu!

Visited June 2014
4 Thank oldpotandpan
Staffs. UK.
“One word - excellent !”
Reviewed 3 July 2014

Over the years I have stayed in Torquay fairly regularly -,and in my limited experience good restaurants are not easy to find. I have read the positive reviews of Lavani on Tripadvisor - and have been meaning to visit for a while now ! Tonight the opportunity presented itself and wow ! Have I been missing out ! - the menu is brilliant, so different from your average Indian restaurant.
I have to say that this is one of the best Indian meals I have had ( and I have had a few !) if you are staying in the Torquay area - make sure to visit this restaurant , could be the highlight of your holiday !

• Visited July 2014
Paignton, United Kingdom
“Great evening with a difference”
Reviewed 2 July 2014

We took my daughter and Son in law to Lavani and it was a first for us all. We were warmly welcomed and there was a happy birthday balloon for my daughter. We were especially thrilled to have the chef come and talk us through our preferences and the menu generally. The food was delicious and we had a really lovely evening.

Visited March 2014
Bristol, United Kingdom
“Can't wait to go back!”
Reviewed 29 June 2014

It's taken me a while to write this review - so stunned were we by the whole 'Lavani' experience! Also, I was having trouble finding the words to describe it. So - here goes; the food is simply DIVINE! Food which tastes this good has clearly been created (NOT cooked .....!), CREATED - with flair, insight, deep experience, but most of all LOVE.
He is neither a 'cook' nor 'chef' - but a ''master of tastes'.
My husband and I both had the same fish dish - sublime!
During his visit to our table after our meal, Collin shared with us his enthusiasm for his craft - and he told us he was taught by his mother. Good job, mother!! You should be proud.
Don't go here looking for the usual vindaloo, korma, tandoori found in other 'Indian' restaurants. - but please DO go here.
All I hope is that we will still be able to get a table once the word spreads!

• Visited May 2014