“Not too bad”
Review of Inglewood Hotel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Torquay
Inglewood Hotel
Ranked #79 of 85 Hotels in Torquay
Reviewed 11 September 2013

The first impression is not good as the hotel for some reason is painted a horrible shade of pink. However the lady on reception was efficient and gave clear instructions to our room which as requested was on the ground floor due to my ankle injury. The room was very small but the bedding was clean and crisp and the bathroom was clean. Throughout our 2 night stay there was always plenty of hot water.

There was a choice of 3 items for each course on the evening menu. The food was excellent and the service was the same. Breakfast was also excellent.

If the new owner spends some money on a refurbishment this will be a lovely place to stay as the location is ideal.

Take the ferry over to Brixham. It is a lovely little place.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
3  Thank aileenBucks

Reviewed 8 September 2013

Arrived on Monday 2nd September. We were massively held up en-route due to a bad accident on the M5 and then a further hour and halfs hold up to get through Bristol. The dining room staff stayed behind to make sure we got a hot meal on arrival, so big brownie points for that.

I was apprehensive about going there especially after reading some of the other reviews on here, but to be honest it was not as bad as some have made out. Yes it is in administration and could badly do with updating/decorating/maintainance and a good scrub out in some parts but on the whole I have stayed in worse!
The staff were lovely, always helpful especially as we travelled with our 90 year old mother-in-law. Big shout out to Jo-Jo, who seemed to wear several hats, from restaurant manager, chambermaid, cleaner and bar steward. Lovely girl and yes Jo-Jo, if you read this we all know about "Nemo". ha ha.

Our waiter for meals Michael was fabulous too, nothing was too much bother, even liaising with the kitchen to make sure we ate, when we didn't like what was on the menu that evening,
Another of the waiters was our entertainment. His name was Phil but we nick-named him Manuel or Jethro. He could do the sprint to the kitchen for our dinners in 4 seconds flat. We timed him.
Meals were prompt and well presented, silver service but wish there was the option of "hot" toast for breakfast.

Yes I would go back again, would love to see what a new buyer does with the place, face-lift wise. Entertainment every night but needs to be better aimed at the "older" residents. How many 60+s know Chris Rea's Road to Hell??? G&T were the best act, purely for the comedy value but she can really sing.
Well located, 5 minutes walk downhill to the white bridge and you're on the prom.
I stayed in a twin room (11) but it was small .. in through the door but nearly fell over the other bed to get to mine. TV picture kept freezing and only 2 channels.

Room Tip: Don;t take a room which windows onto the main road... very noisy all night long and the bin wagon ar...
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family
4  Thank lorna98663
Reviewed 7 September 2013

Having just returned from this hotel after a 7 day break with my husband i would like to add our point of view. I will start with the positives which are . Good location with just a few minutes walk to the sea front. Good staff with special thanks to Phil ( with one l ) :) What a treasure he was. Nothing was too much trouble. He always had a smile on his face and you could have a good laugh with him. The food was excellent,always hot,plenty of choice and you didnt have to wait to be served. I am trying to be positive about my stay at The Inglewood but i am afraid the bad points outweigh the good. Firstly the room we was put in (no39 ) had a hot water pipe running straight through it which was red hot all the time hence the room was very stuffy,we were assured that it wouldnt be on all night but it was. To be fair we was offered another room but that was right at the bottom of the hotel. Secondly our room was right alongside a very busy main road so we coudnt leave the window open at night to let some air in because of the noise. Our room also overlooked the rubbish bins were werent all properly emptied until nearly the end of our stay and rubbish was strewn all around the floor. Also for whatever reason all 4 big plastic bins were picked up and took away at 4.45 in the morning waking us up. :( And last but not least we could only get BBC1 and BBC2 on the tv in the room and 2 days before the end of the holiday all we could get was a frozen picture on the screen and just sound only. To sum up would we stay there again? Maybe if we had a different room. Just one more thing we ended up having to go over the road to another hotel at night as The Inglewood didnt have a very well stocked bar and didnt have what my husband normally drinks. We would sooner have spent our money in our own hotel than take it elswhere. Just one thing to add about cleaning the rooms. The beds werent properly made and one day we left a dirty towel on the bathroom floor that needed changing and when we got back to our room later in the day the towel hadnt been changed and it had been hung back up on the towel rail :(

Room Tip: Unless you dont like a very hot room when it is really warm outside and you are a light sleeper dont...
  • Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank camper5nottingham
Reviewed 4 September 2013

I arrived at the hotel as one of about 40 travellers from around Worcestershire having booked via a coach travel company. Officially the stay was for three nights and four days at a total cost of £164 for half board including a £15 single supplement, this I felt was somewhat excessive as my room could only accommodate one single bed anyway.

On arrival at about 15-30 the hotel manageress came on board the coach to welcome everyone, we were told to book in at reception where we would be given the key to our allocated room and our luggage would be brought to us within a few minutes which it was. After a quick wash and brush up I convened to the bar with another guest where a J2O soft drink and a pint of lager cost £5-75.

Evening dinner was served between 18-15 and 19-00 hours, there was a choice of starters including the soup of the day, a choice of a hot meal or a variety of salads, chicken, cheese or ham. There was always a jug of water and a bread roll and butter on each table. The hot meal was accompanied by two stainless steel bowls of vegetables and a gravy boat. On the three occasions I dined there the meals were adequate, the staff were friendly although on the first evening my table was next to the trolley where the waiting staff stacked the dirty crockery and the noise was annoying to the degree the person sitting with me stormed off to another table.

Breakfast was served between 8-30 and 9-15 we both insisted on being seated elsewhere, our wishes were complied with, there was a good variety to select from, I had porridge, followed by full English, (1 egg, 1 bacon 1 tomato, beans and mushrooms) followed by toast and marmalade washed down with a pot of tea although coffee was an option. On balance I could not find fault with the food.

There was live entertainment each night starting with three houses of bingo in which I did not participate followed by a singer, the barman was helpful and polite. Unfortunately the outdoor pool was boarded over and looked a mess as the surrounds were overgrown with weeds, however there is a patio with tables, chairs and about three sun loungers from which the sea is just visible.

My room had a single bed which was adequate, a single wardrobe with hangers and a lopsided door that wouldn't shut, a small chest of drawers, the second with a liberal dusting of talc obviously spilt by the previous occupants, this remained throughout my stay and a bedside table with tea and coffee making equipment. There was also a fan and radio alarm that had not been set.so it flashed non stop.

The bathroom was again adequate although the toilet seat was chipped and the non slip mat in the shower cubicle showed sigs of mould underneath. The paint-work throughout was chipped and looked overdue for refurbishment.

In summing up although I have pointed out many of the negative aspects of the hotel and make no mistake it is in urgent need of renovation, I did enjoy my stay there, the staff were always friendly and obliging, The newsagent was over the road and the sea front a two minute walk away although the harbour and town centre took considerably longer to reach by foot. During my stay I heard the hotel had just been sold so perhaps the much needed facelift is imminent.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled solo
3  Thank Jerry H
Reviewed 2 September 2013

Recent visit. Despite poor reports decided to try as was reasonably priced.Hotel in convenient spot. Entertainment every night The food was very good and the dining room staff very friendly and efficient.Their job was made difficult due to the shortage of equipment ie cups plates cutlery teapots etc..Our room was decent, with a balcony that, although in need of repair and new furniture, had a fantastic view.However, the shower room was disgusting. There was mould everywhere in the shower and slime around the taps and plughole in the washbasin.We know this hotel has recently been taken over and if the new owner makes the necessary improvements it will be an excellent hotel.Unfortunately, in it's present state I would be reluctant to recommend it to anyone.

Room Tip: Avoid room 53. Balcony with good view, shame about the room.
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
5  Thank Eleanor B
Reviewed 27 August 2013

this hotel REALLY COULD be a real gem if the new owners spend some money on it, tart it up, sort out the gardens, either fix the pool or fill it in and put a play area there or even extend the carpark, cos right now its an eye sore as is, put some flower baskets up, pick up the litter...fix the bin store area they stink...`1st impressions are ever lasting these little things wont cost the earth to rectify.
Rooms are very dated and the matresses are the worse I have slept on, you can feel every spring, next time I go ill take a memory foam bed topper with me.......yes I did say next time.........cos all these things aside the staff are wonderful, they will do anything for you if you ask, from providing extra pillows to extra toast and even local advise, the food is good and location is superb, close to the sea and a flat walk over to the marina and town.
I stayed 3 nights and I don't know if its the bed or the laughing that is making me ache.the most. The best things about this hotel is defo the location and its staff, keep up the good work guys :D for the price you cant expect the ritz ....I'll be back and I hope to see some improvments from the new owners :D

Room Tip: room 49 ground floor ...the bins are stored underneath in the drive, they some times stink so its di...
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Dawn S
Reviewed 27 August 2013 via mobile

Location of hotel is great but everything else is disgusting!! The rooms were filthy and didn't look as if they had been cleaned for months, there were spiders webs everywhere in the room and the dust was thick on ledges and lamp shades. The chairs in the bar area are meant to grey but they are black, the restaurant staff do a great job and the food was good but the staff at reception need to go on a customer service course as they are just rude!!

• Stayed: August 2013