“Our long overdue return to this lovely hotel”
Review of Marquis Hotel

and 1 more site!
Marquis Hotel
Ranked #38 of 87 Hotels in Torquay
Reviewed 26 September 2013

We stayed at the Marquis for five nights 20th - 26th September 2013. Having enjoyed our previous stay in 2010 when it was under the previous owner we heard of its' change of ownership and recent refurbishment and we were very excited to return to see how much it had improved. We were certainly not dissapointed. There has been a tremendous improvement
in the bedrooms, including new carpeting of good quality. Bathrooms are brand new with a lovely shower in ours also of good quality. The food both at breakfast and the evening meals
has seen a big improvement and is now in our opinion worthy of a higher 'star rating'
Our room / bedding & bathroom were very clean with plenty of tea/coffee etc. and bisquits replenished every day. Mike and his Staff were always very helpful. This lovely hotel is a beautiful building with loads of character internally. The dining room in particular has a splendid view toward the sea. Surely there can't be a better place to eat anywhere in Torquay!
The Marquis is ideally located a short walk from Torquay centre on almost level terrain and has a private access on to Tor Abbey Gardens and sea front. It would be suitable for families or business travellers alike. Having really thought hard for something to criticise I have to conclude that there was nothing at all - everything seemed just really good. reasonably priced as well. Well worth a visit. We will certainly have no hesitation in recommending the Marquis to all our friends and we will certainly be returning. I think we had better book earlier next year as when word gets around about this place I may find them fully booked.
Thank you Mike and all your staff for making us feel so welcome during our stay and for explaining your plans for this lovely hotel. My wife and I wish you all every success in the future.
Regards John & Daph Rollings

Room Tip: Try Room 207 for a good sea view
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank John R

Reviewed 23 September 2013

A belated review about the lovely stay we had at the Marquis back in August. Freshly renovated with a large, spacious family room with modern bathroom and very clean. Staff were lovely and friendly, couldn't be more accommodating. The Hotel location is perfect for a stroll into centre Torquay. Breakfast was nice, served in lovely room with good views. Great value for money. Thanks for a lovely stay!

Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 23 September 2013

We have recently returned from a 5 night break at this hotel and would like to say thank you to Mike and his staff for their warm welcome. We stayed in garden view rooms which had recently been refurbished so were very clean and fresh, beds were comfortable and both rooms even had a glimpse of the sea view. Staff were friendly at all times, nothing was too much trouble. Breakfasts were exceptional - plenty to choose from and as much tea and coffee as you liked. Evening meals were superb, menu changed daily, plenty of choice only criticism is that tea and coffee should be included in dinner tariff - not a real problem though because after your meal you can retreat to your room to make your own (free of charge) and of course everyday your stocks were replenished. The hotel has a good sized car park and the seafront is only a short level stroll through the gardens at the rear of the hotel. I would recommend this hotel and will certainly return. I suggest that if you have any special requirements, like I did, then to book direct with the hotel who were more than happy to accommodate and also cheaper than other internet companies. Thank you again for making our stay so wonderful. Julie Kevin, June and Henry.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 20 September 2013

I stayed here for one night whilst walking part of the South West Coastal Path. It is in a central location close to the sea front in an area where there are many hotels filled by coach parties. My only disappointment was the en-suite bath/shower which although brand new had two major issues.The first was that it was only a short bath so I couldn't stretch my legs out to their full length(not good when you have just walked 15 miles!), the second was that there was no bracket on the wall to fix the mixer style shower head onto there fore you could not have a proper shower. Everything else was lovely including the attitude of the staff and the quality of the breakfast. It was also very reasonable in terms of value for money.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 11 September 2013

We booked a family room and a double room for an overnight stay. The beds and pillows were very comfortable and both rooms were spotlessly clean.
Whilst the family room had a good sized shower room the one in the double room was very small. The hand basin was tiny and had a glass shelf above it which meant that you could only wash your hands and not your face!! I would also recommend that the owners put a hook on the inside of the bathroom door and put a towel rail in as the only place you could put a towel was on the floor.
I had scrambled eggs and smoked salmon for breakfast and it was divine. Other members of my party had the full English and as nothing was left on their plates I can only assume that theirs was as good. Reception, bar and breakfast staff were pleasant and efficient and the hotel is ideally placed being a short walk to the sea front and harbour etc.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Cal56
Reviewed 10 September 2013

We had mistakenly booked elsewhere and realised our mistake after arriving in Brixham this meant we made a late booking on line to the Marquis Hotel - not reading reviews but what a lovely surprise a stunning property (I rent property out professionally and couldn't have been more pleased with this former house) The new decor and furnishings were sympathetically done but not over the top so that it was a comfortable feeling inside and out, great parking ideal for a short walk into the town and we took in a show at the theatre which was a beautiful walk back during the evening. Clean, fresh towels and bedding comfortable beds, huge shower room and all the little extras teas coffee, breakfast is superb and we had a small problem with the door which we mentioned to reception and they dealt with it straight away and were pleased to be told about any problems so they could rectify them and make sure our stay was a good one, the ladies were friendly and very capable all in all a great stay and this is from someone who also had their car break down after leaving the hotel and with rac help took 8 hours to get home on what would have been a 2 and a half hour journey i can only think the stay at the hotel sustained me glynis and keith south wales

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 2 September 2013

I arrived in Torquay without a reservation. Driving around, I didn't see any hotel that I really liked. Many seemed to need a little maintenance. But then I saw this nicely maintained hotel, and I parked (free and ample parking), went in, and was so pleasantly surprised by the price quoted by the lady at reception. She showed me to my room. It was brand new, including a new bathroom with all the modern conveniences. I almost forgot to mention that it had a sea view. I must say that this was one of the nicest places I stayed in England, and certainly the one with the best value. Highly recommended!

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled solo