“bad!”
Review of Marquis Hotel

Marquis Hotel
Ranked #34 of 86 Hotels in Torquay
Reviewed 25 March 2014

my stay was OK, not brilliant the lady on the front desk with short hair seemed to shout at many of the guest which i found to be very unprofessional and they way in which she spoke to me and other members was rude! breakfast was good but the time it took to get to us wasnt!

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends
5  Thank alice b

Reviewed 23 March 2014

Had a fabulous weekend stay in this hotel which is in the process of being totally refurbished. Our room was spotless, very quiet and comfortable with a lovely bathroom. The bar and breakfast/ dining areas are stunning. There are lovely comfortable sofas and the room is amazingly light and airy with fabulous sea views. Breakfast is very good and the 3 course evening meals are great value. The staff are all very friendly and helpful, nothing is too much trouble. Would definitely go back.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 21 March 2014

We booked this hotel at short notice,based on reviews. What a lovely surprise we had, the reception staff are genuinely friendly and always happy to help.The hotel itself is almost at the end of a refurbishment but there were no problems for guests as far as we could see.Our room was spotlessly clean it had a new bathroom a flat screen tv and tea and coffee making facilities.The breakfast had everything anyone could ask for and as much as you liked,the staff waiting on us in the dining room were very pleasant and helpful,and the lovely view over the garden (still to be finished)to the sea was lovely.Lots of parking spaces and close to the sea front we were 100% happy with this hotel.

1  Thank BEAT6851
Reviewed 21 March 2014

The visit to the Marquis Hotel in Torquay was a very Pleasent Stay Indeed, Clean Fresh Room Well Appointed Bathroom Flat Screen T.V.and Plentiful Tea and Coffee.Room Service Daily And Free Parking ; I cant Stop There With My Review, Super Friendly Staff " With a sense of Humor "
A Rare event in most Hotels., The Hotel Owners Have Upgraded The Decor Of the Hotel Retaining The Historic Splendor Where Possible. The Breakfast a Joy in its Quality and Quantity. Served in a Large Dinning Hall With View Of The Hotel Grounds ,and the Sea Front...Walking The Grounds Is Pleasure In itself .The Walk Takes One To the Lovely Abbey Gardens On The Seafront,The Owners and Staff Would Always Take Time To Converse With Guest and make you Feel So Welcome; My Advice Go There Enjoy The Hotel and Torquay, A a Very Affordable Price; Will My Wife and I Be Returning to the Marquis Hotel ;Without a Doubt.
A Bonus To a Visit at The MarquisHotel is the Quaint Little Tea Rooms On The Otherside of the Hotel Called The Whistling Kettle A Must To Try The Cream Tea Or Any Meal....Sgt/Maj.Dave.

Room Tip: If You Know The Word Torquay Then add The Words. The Marquis Hotel Torquay Devon
3  Thank pilgrum45
Reviewed 19 March 2014

We styed in the Marquis for 4nights and Its been a long time since I last stayed in a hotel and not complained about something. I'm incredible fussy. I expect everything to be immaculate, crisp sheets, glistening bathroom, every inch vacuumed. Tea and coffee making stuff with a clean kettle(not full of lime scale). I don't want to see damp or mould, or smell it. Heating in the room and windows you can open. Friendly polite staff, and a good breakfast are my minimum requirement.

The Marquis in Torquay excels in absolutely everything. Friendly and helpful staff, everything is so clean, and anyone who knows me knows I am rather particular about cleanliness. A lovely breakfast with cereals and fruit juice then on to a full English or they do offer other alternatives. As funny as it sounds I have never tasted a yummier mushroom, what do you do to them? and as much toast as you can eat.
The bedrooms and the whole hotel is currently going through renovation works and they have started with the rooms first, freshly painted walls, a soft and clean carpet, the bed is the most comfort ablest bed I have slept in in a long time and having Osteoarthritis finding a comfortable bed isn't easy, brand new bathroom in black and white was simply stunning. Our bedroom is cosy and roomy, we even have our own door we can open and look out onto the gardens and the sea is off in the distance. We found it to be a really nice touch being in a garden room, and now the weather has turned better it was lovely having the door open and listening to the birds singing.

As I mentioned the hotel is being renovated, the hotel is a grand building with high walls and a beautiful stair case, the dinning room is lovely and big with floor to ceiling mirrors for you to gaze out at the stars as you enjoy dinner or the early morning sun as you enjoy a well cooked breakfast. Great service from all the staff we came across, nothing was to much trouble for them.

Torquay hotels need updating desperately, so many of them are tired and dated and really just make the whole place look untidy. The Marquis is a pioneering front bringing class and style back to Torquay's run down hotel trade. They are concentrating on being a Fantastic hotel and giving fantastic quality to its customers, something the rest lack.

If you find yourself down this way I highly recommend staying here I was even surprised to find they are pet friendly, which put them even higher in my books as now I have found somewhere I an stay with my dog too. Very good value for money we stayed 4 nights for £147 which included breakfast, I can ensure you, you will not find anywhere in the south west offering that sort of value for money with the quality the Marquis provides.

Well done Marquis hotel your doing a cracking job!! We will be back !!

Extremely highly recommended!

Room Tip: Depends on choice I will always go for a garden room, your own door out on the garden and to the car...
2  Thank Samantha I
Reviewed 16 March 2014

Stayed last night and have too say a great nights sleep. The staff couldn't be more helpful. The room was huge and bed was just pure comfort. Will be staying every chance I get from now on. Thanks again

• Stayed: March 2014
Reviewed 16 March 2014

Excellent stay, the recent renovations (touch more to do yet), are based on quality especially the en-suite facilities. Torquay hotels need such bringing in to the 21st century. Staff were customer friendly as was the price, room etc.spotless and breakfast excellent. Good luck to the new owners and well done for your forward thinking.

1  Thank Bob P