“Too many rules for me”

Ranked #55 of 149 Torquay B&B and Inns
Southampton Uk
“Too many rules for me”
Reviewed 31 May 2012

I should say that the lady who runs this place is lovely, but I'm afraid I won't be staying here when I return to Torquay later in the year.

The room was all bright pink and green with a fairy princess lace thing over the bed, but I could have lived with that. Crimdon dene is a perfect example of why I prefer budget hotels to B&B's. Instead of a nice painting, you are welcomed with a big notice board of rules. In fact, throughout the hotel there are signs everywhere telling you not to do things, it's like being back at school. I have attached pictures of just some of the rules of the house.

Obviously you can't smoke. everyone knows that. I don't smoke myself these days but I know that smokers don't like to have it rubbed in their faces. If you sneak a fag here, they will kick you out, charge you for your full stay, plus £125 +VAT to open the window for an hour or so and rid the room of the smell.

It isn't quite so obvious, but there is a sign to not feed any birds such as seagulls. I didn't see any while I was there but it was one more rule to remember. In a big red box marked "IMPORTANT" was the shoe rule. You will be in trouble here if you dare to leave your room without shoes on, "stockined" (sic) feet will not be accepted. There were also some hooks you were not allowed to hang towels on, and children must be kept quiet at all times, and...oh I lost count.

Almost all of these rules are obvious, so there is no need to bombard us with them. The main reason I won't stay here again is the rule regarding take away food. As a solo traveller I don't like eating on my own in restaurants, so I normally get a take away. In over 30 years of travelling I have never spilled a curry all over the bed or made a mess,partly because I bring my own plate and cutlery so I don't have to eat out of the boxes. I understand that people will occasionally make a mess. What B&B owners don't realise is that all the people, like me, who will never go back there would pay for several sets of new bedding and cleaning of carpets etc. over the years. I used to travel for work and places like this lost a lot of business from me, and many solo travellers like me.

I decided not to break the rules, but the only restaurant i could find was a closed down chinese one, and an indian place I didn't fancy the look of. The pubs near here all do boil in the bag Brakes food, so I ended up having a disgusting pot noodle for my dinner. Good job I didn't try and sneak a chinese take away in as the second I opened the door, Margaret appeared from nowhere to sniff out any contraband I might have.

I realise this is a bit of a rant but I hope the owners read this and take it as the constructive criticism it is meant as. If it was my business I would provide washable table cloths rather than the useless lace cloth you use now, and plates and cutlery. This would make it less likely that people would spill food, and they would come back again. I would also replace the rules board with a nice picture.

I would have stayed at the Premier Inn but they were full. Maybe that is partly because they would have gladly ordered a take away for me and had it delivered to my room.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled solo
6 Thank Fandango11

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (27)
Southend-on-Sea, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 May 2012

Why ask?, Because it's the perfect place to stay in Torquay. Everything you would expect is on offer at the Crimdon Dene Hotel. A very warm welcome awaits you, very clean and comfortable rooms. Breakfast is fit for a king and so much choice, and Maragaret and John are the pefect hosts. What more can you ask for, and all at an affortable price. Thank you Margaret and John for an excellent week, and we hope to come back soon.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank Angela T
Great Yarmouth, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 May 2012

Margaret and John made my special trip to Torquay complete. Their wonderful B&B is excellant on all fronts, I was made very welcome and nothing was too much trouble. My single room was very cosy and clean, the attention to detail was second to none.I loved my fresh raspberries,blueberries,melon and home made strawberry yogurt before my full english breakfast.
Set me up for the day!! Thankyou both.Can't wait to come back in July, this time with my husband in tow!
Pauline,Norfolk.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled solo
2 Thank pauline h
England
Reviewed 28 April 2012

It's a wonderful hotel. Deep impressed breakfast, clean and nice rooms, warm and helpful services. I will come back at my next holiday. My mother and I have got a excellent time, thank you Margaert and John.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank Guo n
York, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 April 2012

My brother and I visited Torquay for the annual CAMRA member's weekend and AGM at the Riviera complex.

I pre-booked this hotel for its location and the comments of other peoples reviews.
We were not disappointed. Excellent place to stay excellent hosts and food top rated.

John even took us to the railway station as we were running late on our return journey to Yorkshire. Don't bother with the rest - go to the best you will enjoy.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with friends
Birmingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 22 March 2012

Without a doubt this is a very comfy safe place to stay. You are able to safely park your car. The accommodation is spotless with everything you need. Breakfast lovely nothing is too much trouble. It was a pleasure to return here for another visit and I look forward to coming again.

Room Tip: Just come, relax and enjoy