“Same hotel?”

Ranked #59 of 149 Torquay B&B and Inns
London, United Kingdom
“Same hotel?”
Reviewed 15 September 2013

I found this hotel via a App on my phone for the English Rivera and then cross referenced it to its Trip Advisor rating. Having such an amazing rating, I thought I had found a true gem, however was incredibly disappointed and wondering if I stayed at the same hotel as the other reviewers.
The room was nice and clean, but that is where it ended. The bathroom was so small, it was difficult to try to move around. We were warned that there were problems with the toilet running if not flushed correctly, but was quite surprised to find that the toilet didn't actually flush any contents. The beds were also less that impressive. My bed was so lumpy and broken down and I barely slept the first night. I was going to ask for new rooms, but my mom thought it would be fine for her to sleep so we switched beds. Although the new bed was more comfortable than the first, it really wasn't a good mattress and my 2nd night of sleep wasn't much better. My mom also admitted the next day that her bad had been pretty dreadful as well.
In addition, there seemed to be a lot of rules, which I found to be odd. There were several signs in the room about what was allowed / not allowed, rules about which doors must be used when and despite being off season and booking a room the same day, we were told we must book for two days.
On the plus side, the breakfast was very good, including home made yogurts, and the owners were quite nice.

Room Tip: Don't take the room on the ground floor in the back of the hotel
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank Brigitka

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (29)
Sunderland UK
Reviewed 31 August 2013 via mobile

A short walk from all Torquay has to offer and a good base for travel to Devon's attractions. Lovely clean hotel, the best breakfasts and a fabulously friendly couple who can't do enough for their guests. Thank you John and Margaret- hope to see you next year. Would recommend to everyone.

1 Thank MackemSpaz
Reviewed 26 August 2013

We desperately wanted to extend our camping holiday and so decided to treat ourselves to an extra couple of days in a B&B. Lucky for us we stumbled upon Margaret and John's place. It was very homely, clean and well maintained and we were made to feel really welcome, especially our little boy he was over the moon with the attention he received and the family room was perfectly sized to accommodate us all! John's breakfast was superb and they really had thought of everything you could possibly need during your stay - far too many things to mention! If you want excellent value for money then would totally recommend as all the little touches and effort they have gone to shouldn't be missed. It was a great end to our holiday and would definitely book again if we return to the area.

1 Thank KerryCorb
Reviewed 19 August 2013 via mobile

I stayed at the Crimdon Dene Hotel for 5 nights in August 2013. The room was well decorated and well equipted with everything that you would need. The owners ( John&Margaret ) ensure that you receive a warm welcome and nothing is too much trouble.
To cap it all the breakfast is the best that I have had anywhere in the uk.

1 Thank sophievale2013
Northampton, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 August 2013

This is my first review, as it's something I would not normally do, however the crimdon dene was so brilliant, just like the reviews said it was, that I felt compelled to do so. The family room was excellent, we stayed five nights and I can't think of even the tiniest thing to quibble about. I have stayed in hotels around the world and on board various cruise ships, but johns breakfast is the best I have ever experienced, normally I don't like yoghurt, but my wife and kids were raving about Johns home made ones, so I tried it, and had a pot every morning! the selection and quality of fresh fruit was amazing, the kippers were the nicest I've ever had and you couldn't get a better full English. Thanks Margaret and John for giving us a memory we will never forget.
David Miller

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank chessmagic
Stoke-on-Trent, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 August 2013

What a fantastic B and B! Margaret and John are by far the best hosts we have ever known. They were kind, welcoming and nothing was too much trouble for them as they wanted to make our family holiday as pleasurable as possible. Like us, our little girl did want to leave and we truly hope to return again. I have already recommended the accommodation to family and friends who are keen to visit.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank Parto007
Ashford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 30 July 2013

Me and my partner stayed at the crimdon dene and what a wonderful stay we had.The rooms are very clean and out of this world .The owners Margaret and John make you feel like home and are very welcoming and Johns breakfast is superb.We will return for a week in September,Thank you for having us
Scott and Sam Ashford Middlesex