1,158 results
All reviews club room free taxi service six courses edwards coaches gb tours course evening meal sea view sorbet on arrival coach parties coastal path first class evening entertainment mince pies spa area standard room the general manager
Reviewed 1 November 2011

It was a relatively last minute booking on our part – my partner and I, accompanied by our 19 month mischievous son, Alexander, popped down for a long weekend. In fact, by chance, a themed weekend, ‘Hollywood comes to Torquay’. Whilst maybe not in the league of Disney, the efforts made by the staff were greatly appreciated.

Now I’m not one for lengthy Trip Advisor reviews. In fact I rarely feel inspired to make my views known on such matters. (Certainly after having watched the very scary channel 4 documentary about some frankly weird folks in my opinion who seem to have nothing better to do). And to put this into context, I spent at least 50 days travelling out of the UK this year on business. I’m no stranger to ‘posh’ hotels. So how did the Headland fair:

1] Amazing value for the money
2] Clean spacious rooms
2] Very friendly and helpful staff
3] Fabulous food – we ate every evening there in addition to breakfast. Never disappointed (Special mention of the restaurant staff – I believe many of them were Polish. So obliging and professional. Never moaned once about the ‘carnage’ that little Alexander would leave behind him around his high chair)

OK – I have to say something not so good apparently because nothing is perfect is it….?
1] Well yes the car parking can be an issue, but hey, unless they build more spaces out into the sea, how can they improve it ? And there is a public car park very close by overlooking the sea - so not really an issue unless mobility is a challenge.
2] Older clientale – well yes, this seems to be the majority of their business. In our books this meant more polite, civilised and understanding guests. If you’re looking for some ‘action’ – maybe look elsewhere, or have a stroll down to the Torquay centre – you’ll find all sorts there.
3] Even the entertainment wasn’t always our 'cuppa' – but I appreciate it wasn’t aimed at people like us. And frankly, a little evening activity creates a nice atmosphere.

We loved it so much, we decided to stay for one more day beyond the weekend deal. Dare I say it, not only did Toby offer us another night at the same rate (which he didn’t have to do), he upgraded us into a gorgeous room over looking the gardens and the sea. Thank you Toby

Happy Bunnies ? …..Yes …….We will be visiting again ? ………….DUH !!!!!

Room Tip: Ask the staff.......they are very friendly ....
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank JonnyKeys
Headlandtorquay, General Manager at The Headland Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 3 November 2011

Thank you so much for your review following your stay over our recent themed weekend. Whilst it is important to us to get feedback, good and bad, I completely share your views with regard to the recent Channel 4 documentary. We try to respond to all feedback, which few hotels do. All your comments are really appreciated, and very fair if I may say so. One small point I would make is that we are currently displaying our proposed parking improvement plans which are with the local council, as there actually is space for parking an additional twenty cars, between us and the sea. We were pleased to be able to extend and upgrade your stay on this occasion, and eagerly look forward to your return visit.

Reviewed 29 October 2011

My Husband and I took a last minute end of the school summer holiday short break with our 11 year old daughter in August this year to the Headland Hotel.

After days and days of scouring the web looking for a suitable location and Hotel, we stumbled upon the Headland Hotel in Torquay.

The reviews on Trip Advisor seemed really good and have to say in reality the Hotel didn't disappoint whatsoever!

The room although slightly dated in decor, was extremely clean with plenty of space for a double and single bed(really comfortable beds by the way)! with a fantastic sea view over Daddyhole Bay.

ALL the staff were very very helpful and the Manager Toby was always on hand.

We booked half board, and have to say that the food was amazing. Plenty of choice for breakfast and fantastic choices for the evening meal, all cooked to perfection.

One point I would also mention is that the food was actually SERVED to you. So many Hotels these days are buffet style help yourself, which feels like a School Canteen, so this made a very welcome change.

In reality this Hotel does attract older clientele, but this was fine with us as it was quiet and comfortable, and all the guests when we stayed were friendly and made for a pleasant stay. The evening entertainment was easy listening with bingo also organised.

We also took advantage of a trip out organised by the Hotel to Babbacombe Theatre to watch a Variety show on one of the evenings. This was absolutely brilliant, and our Daughter really enjoyed it too! Priced at £15.00 each adult and free for children (including the coach transfers), it was extremely good value for money. We paid for this with a Bingo win the night before, so it was doubly good value for money :-)

There is an outdoor pool which again looks very clean and inviting, although we didn't actually get to try it in the end, as we were out and about every day.

The sea front is not too far away, with a beautiful stretch of sandy beach plus plenty of shops and restaurants nearby (you must try a giant Cornish Pasty)!! Also on the sea front is the Princess Theatre which was showing Grease the musical when we were there, which we went to see and again this was also a great show! (Prices are no where near as expensive as the West End shows, but I wouldnt say this compromoised the performance - the cast were extremely talented)!

We were sad to leave and our midweek Monday to Friday break went by all too quickly! We would definitely recommend this Hotel and hope to return again.

Just one point to mention - the hotel is situated on the top of a hill and whilst the walk down is not too bad at all, the walk up again could be a challenge for the elderly or those with difficulty walking. However the Hotel has a FREE car service which leaves the Hotel at around 10am to drop you into the town and picks up again in the town at 4.30pm to return to the Hotel.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family
4  Thank Knight30
Headlandtorquay, General Manager at The Headland Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 1 November 2011

Thank you so much for your very comprehensive review. We are delighted that you so enjoyed your stay with us, and also the many attractions that Torbay has to offer. We are proud of the service that we offer, and we very carefully select the staff we employ. We do have an ongoing programme of upgrading and refurbishment, but it is discreetly carried out a room at a time, to eliminate disturbance to our guests. We look forward to welcoming the three of you back before too long, and appreciate greatly the time you have taken in posting your excellent review.

Reviewed 25 October 2011

My wife and I stayed at the Headland on a DBB basis in October; it was the second time we had stayed at the hotel - albeit for just one night on both occasions.The hotel provides excellent value for money. We did wonder about the meals and whether they would be any good bearing in mind the [low] price that we were paying -but we need to have worried because both the dinner and breakfast were perfectly acceptable. The room - we were upgraded at no extra cost - had a good sea view and a very comfortable bed; it was clean and tidysalve it a bit dated. Staff were all friendly, polite and capable in their duties. Although we did not go to the evening entertainment it was well attended and seemed to be being well received. The hotel caters for coach parties but does seem to have a policy of putting "non coach" residents in a smaller, separate and very pleasant dining area. Drinks are a bit on the expensive eg just under £4 for a pint of beer, £5.30 for a gin and tonic and £16 for a pretty ordinary bottle of wine.

The hotel is just outside the town centre in a quiet location - about a 10/15 minute walk [and a steep uphill walk on the way back].

Overall, though, I would recommend staying at the hotel because, although definitely not 5 star it does offer very good value for money in a comfortable, friendly environment.

Peter H.
West Wickham, Kent

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled with family
2  Thank PeterH333
Headlandtorquay, General Manager at The Headland Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 26 October 2011

Thank you for your comprehensive review and I am extremely pleased that you found us to offer excellent value in a comfortable, friendly environment. It is particularly gratifying to note your appreciation of our staff, who are a vital ingredient of the overall package which we offer. If I may, I will clarify that we make no distinction between "non-coach" and "coach" residents. The smaller dining area near the main restaurant is for all guests, and the same the other way around. We are pleased to allocate tables in either upon request, subject to availability. I am afraid you have radically mis-quoted our bar prices, as draught beer and lager are £3.10 a pint, gin and tonic is £4.30 (for a 35ml top brand measure and a bottle of tonic), and our very popular House wines are £14.50 a bottle. Room service prices are of course a little more. As mentioned elsewhere our daily free taxi service can eliminate the 15 minute walk to or from the Harbour. We hope that your next visit will be for longer, and look forward to welcoming you both again.

Reviewed 25 October 2011

just to say thankyou to all the staff at the Headland hotel for a lovely chilled out weekend second time this year and hopefully a few more times next year being in the tourist trade myself i can not recommend this hotel enough nothing seems to be to much trouble and one of the cleanest hotels I have stayed in We had a fantastic room with a free standing bath and the bed was so comfortable room 153 and the dining room staff were polite and friendly.
One down side was the entertainment on the Sunday night was a bit boring but everyone has different taste Thanks again and see you next year before the summer season kicks of again
Lisa & Scotty

Room Tip: if you like a good bed room 153
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank lisascott551682

On behalf of the team here may I thank you for your kind comments once again. So glad you enjoyed the Super King-size bed and otherr features of the Anastasia Room. I note your remarks about the entertainment, and am sure you understand we do vary the many acts who we use throughout the year. We look forward to welcoming you both again next spring.

Reviewed 24 October 2011

We stayed for a week beginning October 10th and had a lovely time. We paid a little more
for an Executive room and were rewarded with beautiful sea views. The staff were all
very helpful and professional and nothing was too much trouble. Breakfast and dinner
menus were extensive and the food was of excellent quality.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank robinnorthlondon

Delighted to hear that you had a lovely week with us, and we hope you will return before too long.Your feedback is much appreciated and we thank you for your time in sending it.