“Another Delightful Break” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #11 of 89 Hotels in Torquay
Stafford, United Kingdom
“Another Delightful Break”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 July 2012

Our second visit to this hotel. If anything it was better than last time and that was good. Wonderful food, good service and spotlessly clean, so many places to relax inside and outside the hotel. Evening entertainment was good particularly Simon Rees he was excellent. The free taxi service was very useful as my husband is disabled and cannot walk far. Overall a very enjoyable relaxing break.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Toby D, General Manager at The Headland Hotel, responded to this review, 13 August 2012
It is great to receive your fantastic feedback, and I am pleased you enjoyed everything, particulaly the entertainment from Simon Rees. Our complimentary taxi service is very popular, and we don't think any other hotel in the area operates anything similar. Thank you until we see you for your third visit.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (295)
Burntwood Staffs UK
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 July 2012

We stayed at the Headland for the first time in November 2011.

In my business life I was fortunate enough to stay in many of the best hotels this country has to offer.

I was spoilt by my expense account.

Now I pay my own way but the standard has been set.

I won’t normally consider staying in any hotel that doesn’t have at least four stars attached to it.

Last year I hit a health problem and needed a quick break other higher rated hotels were fully booked so I took a chance and we arrived at The Headland.

No its not a four star yet, but it could well be on its way.

For me public rooms and restaurant brilliant.

Elsewhere OK ,a bit to go ,although I understand that improvement are ongoing.

Soon find out were booked in mid September.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank j200way
It is brilliant to hear that you consider us well on the way to a four star rating, and we really appreciate the time you have taken in sending your review. We will continue to stride forward with our ongoing improvements in all areas, and look forward to your next stay very soon.
Coventry, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 July 2012

Upon arrival for a weekend break we were given our card and directed to the lower floor; I should have guessed all was not well. The corridor was dingy and smelly; just like the room. When I opened the door and walked in the odour caught my breadth and made be nearly puke. One of the twin beds was pushed up against the wardrobe which made it impossible to use. The bed covers were very soiled; I dumped them on top of the wardrobe out of sight. Unfortunately this displayed the heavily soiled bed-bases which were disgusting. When I tried to move towards the window to open it for fresh air the dust was very obvious around the carpet and made me sneeze. I discovered the smell was from the bath and shower which didn't empty; the water stayed in the bath and drained away very slowly. I complained to the Manager the following morning and said it was very unsatisfactory, and that standards were very low; but he said the hotel was full and that was all they had. I had booked a club room and wanted more space specifically requested when I booked, and was assured the room would be there for me. My weekend break was turning into a nightmare. The next night we had to call the night porter to investigate a noise that prevented us from sleeping. He said it was the freezer, which was on the same little corridor, and he couldn't turn it off. Next morning again complained to the Manager he became defensive and said no one ever complained before but he would look into it. Not very helpful to bleary eyed holiday makers. I was ready to leave because I couldn't go through another night like that. He said a room had become available and we could move into it as soon as it was vacated. This was a lovely room - what I would have expected in the first place - but it has dulled my enthusiasm for a hotel that held some nice memories. Never again. The catering staff were very pleasant and helpful, the Manager should take a leaf out of their book. There was a variety of food and enough to satisfy hunger, the facilities are nice and lots of walks and seating areas. The pool was a welcome asset.

Room Tip: Higher floors have less A/C unit noise
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled with friends
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Toby D, General Manager at The Headland Hotel, responded to this review, 26 July 2012
Dissapointing though some of your feedback is, thank you for the opportunity to address and correct the points you have made. I am truly sorry that you did not enjoy your original room, the main issue initially reported to me being the size of the room. Whilst this was a sea-view room, one floor up above our lovely gardens, looking across them towards Thatcher's Rock, it is not one of our larger rooms. When I went to inspect the room, you had made no mention of any alleged smell from either the corridor or the bath, which you only now allude to. I did find traces of dust below one of the beds which should not have been there, and I have taken to task the room attendant responsible, but the room was certainly not 'filthy' as you had verbally indicated to me. I told you I made a rate reduction as a goodwill gesture, because we could not offer you a larger room at that time, but you appear to have omitted to mention this.
Following your report of a noise preventing you from sleeping on the second night, our Night Porter could not definitively trace the source, but we think it may possibly have been a freezer across the corridor some distance away. That morning another larger room had become available and we were happy to be able to transfer you there, and I am pleased that you enjoyed that room, our helpful staff, our wonderful facilities and the surrounding area, but the overall experience you report regarding your first room is not typical, as other reviews confirm.
Despite your "never again" we will continue to strive to satisfy all our guests, including the many who return numerous times each year.
Malmesbury, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 July 2012

Stopped off here for a cream tea one very nice sunny day (yes, we do have a couple each year). Nice looking large and grandiose building with friendly staff and stonking cream teas. Enjoy !

• Stayed May 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank Pumpingsnake
, General Manager at The Headland Hotel, responded to this review, 5 July 2012
So glad you enjoyed a scrumptious cream tea with us. We hope you will return to stay and experience other elements of our hospitality. Thank you for your comments.
Stafford, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 July 2012

Myself and family have just returned after a 5 day break, the 3rd visit this year and our 10th year visiting the Headland, best words to describe this hotel is addective and easy to see why.
Although constantly updated and improved it still manages to retain its unique timeless ambience, 1st class standards and old fashioned values to service by all staff old and new, rarely found in hotels these days.
Nice to stay again in the Anastasia suite, large airy room, great views and a dream of a bathroom - would advise all guests to try this room out.
Food is perfectly cooked and presented and new introductions to menu each time we visit, staff are very efficient and dining runs like clockwork.
The gardens are lovely and a shame that they do not get more use, Toby a suggestion for you - how about a tennis lawn for summer play.
Nice to see you again Toby and the hotel team, have no doubt that you will continue to 'up' .
standards, both manager and staff strive to go that extra mile for customer service and it shows.
Barbara Brenton & family stafford

Room Tip: Anastasia suite a lovely treat, room 132 has superb garden/sea views but bathroom very small
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank Anthony P
, General Manager at The Headland Hotel, responded to this review, 10 July 2012
We are so pleased that you continually return to us and that you appreciate so much the ongoing improvements throughout all areas.
Thank you for your suggestion for our lovely lawn, but it would not be up to the wear and tear of a tennis court as trees surround it, and the fences required would impair the outlook. Instead we set up with croquet throughout the summer.
Thanks again for your valuable feedback and best regards to all the family until your next visit to us.
LEICS
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 July 2012

Just returned from a fabulous 4 day break at the Headland Hotel. The hotel is situated at the end of a quiet road with stunning views over the bay and headland with direct access to the secluded Meadfoot beach. Whilst the hotel only has a small car park their is ample free, safe parking on the road outside so do not let this put you off.

On entering the hotel you are greeted by the smiling friendly faces of the reception staff who are only too pleased to help you and deal with things in a very efficient manner and are so switched on to what good customer service really is..We had an executive room (room 171) which offers fabulous views over the bay and swimming pool area. The standard of the room was excellent with really comfy beds, a large lcd television with the complete range of freeview channels and a lovely big en-suite bathroom complete with a very good range of complimentary shampoo, shower gel etc. The room also had two comfy arm chairs along with complimentary fruit and bottled water and a large range of complimentary tea/coffee etc.

We stayed on a bed and breakfast basis and the range of items on offer for breakfast was excellent, Ranging from cereals,fresh fruit, croissants to your full english breakfast and smoked salmon with scrambled eggs. The waiting staff are great and nothing is too much trouble to them and they are a credit to the hotel. The breakfast room is bright and airy and a lovely place to start your day.

The evening entertainment is very good with several artists on every night, The bar/cabaret room is a really pleasant place to unwind after a days sightseeing, The bar offers a great range of beers and wines and spirits along with a selection of real ales from the local bay brewing company.

As stated by other reviewers the hotel is situated at the top of steep hill which is a good 15 minutes walk down to the harbour. Whilst their are several benches to rest on the way up to the hotel if you have mobility issues you may struggle with the walk, but don't be put off as their is a regular bus service from the harbour which goes up to the hotel and local taxis charge £3.50 each way. The hotel also offers a complimentary shuttle service to the harbour in the morning with a return shuttle at approx 4.00.

All in all this is a great hotel and having stopped in many 4* hotels throughout the u.k and europe i can honestly say that this hotel is far superior to many of them, and i really can't understand why this hotel only has 3* when it clearly deserves a 4* rating at least.

We will certainly be stopping here next time we are in Torquay.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled with friends
2 Thank DAVE123Leics
, General Manager at The Headland Hotel, responded to this review, 5 July 2012
Thank you for the time you have taken in posting such a comprehensive positive review of your recent stay with us. We are delighted that you enjoyed yourselves so much, and we truly appreciate your comments.
We strive for four-star standards constantly, and it is nice that you recognise that.
We look forward to welcoming you again on your next trip to Torquay.
Wolverhampton, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 June 2012 via mobile

We stayed at this hotel the second week in May. This hotel cannot be faulted. Food most important on holiday superb .We have stayed in hotels all ovet europe and have never seen such a wide choice of meals. On arrival. We were met by the manager who explained everything about the hotel including the fact that if there was nothing on the menu an alternative could be requested. This hotel caters for all diets.Rooms, house keeping cannot be faulted. There is a free Taxi provided by the Hotel into town and back. I must say a big, big thankyou for the Return of my. Handbag which i recieved within 48hours of me leaving it there. This was greatly appreciated. Wonderful hotel,views service entertainment etc. Tony keep up the good work.

• Stayed May 2012