“DISAPPOINTING BREAK”

Ranked #12 of 87 Hotels in Torquay
Lichfield, United Kingdom
“DISAPPOINTING BREAK”
Reviewed 2 August 2012

Arrived monday 30th july 2012 for three nights. our first visit there.On arrival nowhere to park 17 spaces for 78 rooms?receptionist unhelpful and unpleasant.We booked executive room bedspread stained and bloodied had to ask twice for it to be changed.food was good, service was not.entertanment ok, simon rees was excellent best part of break.would not stay again does not represent good value.

Room Tip: pay more for executive room at least you get a better view !
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Lorraine_tomk
Toby D, General Manager at The Headland Hotel, responded to this review, 13 August 2012
Thank you for your feedback, and I am sorry you had a problem with parking. As there are twenty spaces within the hotel grounds, and many more nearby and along the road we are in, plus Daddyhole Plain across the road, we would have been happy to direct you to a suitable space, if you had only let us know. Our plans for extra spaces are pending Council approval, which will further reduce the possibility of issues. I have investigated the stained bedspread (not blood-spots) you reported twice, and I am sorry there was an unfortunate delay between our House-keeper going off-duty and our Duty Manager being able to resolve this for you, which I believe our Reception Team tried to explain. I am glad you found the food to be good, but wish you had reported the poor service, which you only now mention, so that we might have had you leaving far happier than you clearly are. I will pass on your appreciation to Simon Rees. I regret you do not feel we represent good value, but am pleased to report that this is not a view shared by many.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (319)
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 August 2012

Although we enjoyed the food and the service was good our room was awful. It was in the sub-basement and was dark, damp and dismal, we had black mould on the wall due to the heavy rainfall in Torquay. It was also a very small cramped room. We did ask to change but was told the hotel was full. Our friends had a beautiful newly refurbished room with a seaview and as we paid the same price didn't get a fair deal. One lady who compalined was told exactly the same as us "You will get a better room next year" She got a complimentary bottle of wine we didn't get anything.

If we would have travelled independently we wouldn't have stayed but as we had already paid and were with a coach party didn't have an option.

Our room was substandard for a three star hotel and we won't be back.

Room Tip: Ask to see the room also go again to reception I only complained on arrival and departure and was to...
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled with friends
10 Thank LINDA G
Having already had correspondence with this guest, and investigated and dealt with several reported issues not mentioned here, we regret that she feels so aggrieved with her room. I will not comment further upon her review, other than to say all our rooms fully meet three star standards, and I would be more than happy to show this room, on our garden level, or indeed any of our rooms, to prospective guests whenever at all possible.
Pontypool, United Kingdom
Reviewed 31 July 2012

We stayed at this hotel on 13th July for a family wedding, staying the weekend. The hotel itself is very good cannot fault the food or service. When I booked it was for 2 rooms which I thought would be together how wrong was I we were miles apart. My room was very small and when I was asked by my family where I was I had to say under the stairs, as that's exactly where it was.The bathroom if that is what you can call it was tiny my husband is 6ft 2ins and he could not stand by the basin to even clean his teeth! The staff in the dining room are excellent as is the food, but the entertainer on the Friday night is very rude. We were asked to leave the bar because we were talking and she said she was trying to entertain but it was only us in there,and she was not very good anyway. Would we return yes as the food is excellent, dining staff excellent and location good.

Room Tip: Do not have first floor under stairs terrible
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
Thank you for taking the time to post your review. I am pleased you enjoyed the hotel, food and service (and of course the fabulous wedding), but am sorry you were dissapointed with your room. Although fully refurbished and with a beautiful outlook overlooking the pool, patio and bay across to Brixham, it is one of our smallest rooms, and we would willingly have offered you an alternative if you had only let us know. Regarding the entertainment, it is sometimes a difficult balancing act to please everyone and I regret you had an issue on the Friday night. It is heartening to know you would return to us however, and we look forward to that.
Stafford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 July 2012

Our second visit to this hotel. If anything it was better than last time and that was good. Wonderful food, good service and spotlessly clean, so many places to relax inside and outside the hotel. Evening entertainment was good particularly Simon Rees he was excellent. The free taxi service was very useful as my husband is disabled and cannot walk far. Overall a very enjoyable relaxing break.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
It is great to receive your fantastic feedback, and I am pleased you enjoyed everything, particulaly the entertainment from Simon Rees. Our complimentary taxi service is very popular, and we don't think any other hotel in the area operates anything similar. Thank you until we see you for your third visit.
Burntwood Staffs UK
Reviewed 28 July 2012

We stayed at the Headland for the first time in November 2011.

In my business life I was fortunate enough to stay in many of the best hotels this country has to offer.

I was spoilt by my expense account.

Now I pay my own way but the standard has been set.

I won’t normally consider staying in any hotel that doesn’t have at least four stars attached to it.

Last year I hit a health problem and needed a quick break other higher rated hotels were fully booked so I took a chance and we arrived at The Headland.

No its not a four star yet, but it could well be on its way.

For me public rooms and restaurant brilliant.

Elsewhere OK ,a bit to go ,although I understand that improvement are ongoing.

Soon find out were booked in mid September.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank j200way
It is brilliant to hear that you consider us well on the way to a four star rating, and we really appreciate the time you have taken in sending your review. We will continue to stride forward with our ongoing improvements in all areas, and look forward to your next stay very soon.
Coventry, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 July 2012

Upon arrival for a weekend break we were given our card and directed to the lower floor; I should have guessed all was not well. The corridor was dingy and smelly; just like the room. When I opened the door and walked in the odour caught my breadth and made be nearly puke. One of the twin beds was pushed up against the wardrobe which made it impossible to use. The bed covers were very soiled; I dumped them on top of the wardrobe out of sight. Unfortunately this displayed the heavily soiled bed-bases which were disgusting. When I tried to move towards the window to open it for fresh air the dust was very obvious around the carpet and made me sneeze. I discovered the smell was from the bath and shower which didn't empty; the water stayed in the bath and drained away very slowly. I complained to the Manager the following morning and said it was very unsatisfactory, and that standards were very low; but he said the hotel was full and that was all they had. I had booked a club room and wanted more space specifically requested when I booked, and was assured the room would be there for me. My weekend break was turning into a nightmare. The next night we had to call the night porter to investigate a noise that prevented us from sleeping. He said it was the freezer, which was on the same little corridor, and he couldn't turn it off. Next morning again complained to the Manager he became defensive and said no one ever complained before but he would look into it. Not very helpful to bleary eyed holiday makers. I was ready to leave because I couldn't go through another night like that. He said a room had become available and we could move into it as soon as it was vacated. This was a lovely room - what I would have expected in the first place - but it has dulled my enthusiasm for a hotel that held some nice memories. Never again. The catering staff were very pleasant and helpful, the Manager should take a leaf out of their book. There was a variety of food and enough to satisfy hunger, the facilities are nice and lots of walks and seating areas. The pool was a welcome asset.

Room Tip: Higher floors have less A/C unit noise
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled with friends
Toby D, General Manager at The Headland Hotel, responded to this review, 26 July 2012
Dissapointing though some of your feedback is, thank you for the opportunity to address and correct the points you have made. I am truly sorry that you did not enjoy your original room, the main issue initially reported to me being the size of the room. Whilst this was a sea-view room, one floor up above our lovely gardens, looking across them towards Thatcher's Rock, it is not one of our larger rooms. When I went to inspect the room, you had made no mention of any alleged smell from either the corridor or the bath, which you only now allude to. I did find traces of dust below one of the beds which should not have been there, and I have taken to task the room attendant responsible, but the room was certainly not 'filthy' as you had verbally indicated to me. I told you I made a rate reduction as a goodwill gesture, because we could not offer you a larger room at that time, but you appear to have omitted to mention this.
Following your report of a noise preventing you from sleeping on the second night, our Night Porter could not definitively trace the source, but we think it may possibly have been a freezer across the corridor some distance away. That morning another larger room had become available and we were happy to be able to transfer you there, and I am pleased that you enjoyed that room, our helpful staff, our wonderful facilities and the surrounding area, but the overall experience you report regarding your first room is not typical, as other reviews confirm.
Despite your "never again" we will continue to strive to satisfy all our guests, including the many who return numerous times each year.
Malmesbury, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 July 2012

Stopped off here for a cream tea one very nice sunny day (yes, we do have a couple each year). Nice looking large and grandiose building with friendly staff and stonking cream teas. Enjoy !

• Stayed May 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank Pumpingsnake
, General Manager at The Headland Hotel, responded to this review, 5 July 2012
So glad you enjoyed a scrumptious cream tea with us. We hope you will return to stay and experience other elements of our hospitality. Thank you for your comments.