“Our Best One Yet!!!!!!” 5 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #11 of 89 Hotels in Torquay
Staffordshire, United Kingdom
“Our Best One Yet!!!!!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 November 2013

I have just returned from The Headland Hotel after spending a four night stay on Tinsel and Turkey break. My mum and I have between us organised group holidays with family and friends for the best part of the last thirty years. I can safely say that this one hits the top spot. The professional management and staff certainly have got it right here. The decor in the hotel is very tastefully done enhanced by all the Christmas touches. The food in the restaurant is first class. A six-course evening meal is served each evening by very pleasant waiting on staff. Fine crockery and cutlery add to make the dining experience very special. Well done to one and all who make this place work..... I am reluctant to say too much more.....sssshhhhhh......I have a request from 47 friends who want to return and don't want to jeopardise availability!!!!!! Thank you everyone last week who worked to make this break very special.

Room Tip: Ask for a sea view room to enjoy the views across the bay.
1 Thank ninajeavons
Mark_Lockwood-Lee, General Manager at The Headland Hotel, responded to this review, 19 November 2013
I am very pleased to hear that you and your group all enjoyed your stay with us recently at The Headland and thank you very much for your kind words.

The head chef is very happy to hear that the excellent food was received so well and I have also passed your comments on to the rest of the team.

We all look forward to welcoming you all back again for your next visit to the area.

Kindest Regards

Mark Lockwood-Lee

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (295)
Doncaster, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 November 2013

Just returned from 4 fabulous days at the headland, with Barry of forest travel coaches, wow what a wonderful stay, everything perfect, friendly staff, throughout the hotel.
I stayed in this hotel. Around 10 yrs ago when it was the overmead, can't believe all the changes you have made,
the Christmas decorations were outstanding

1 Thank 255Sue
I am very glad to hear that you enjoyed your recent stay with us at The Headland Hotel and thank you for your review.

It is good to hear that you are pleased with the way the hotel has changed over the years and we do hope that you will be joining us again in the not too distant future.

Kind Regards

rugby
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 November 2013

This was my first stay at this hotel but certainly not my last. Our coach and another from Swansea turned up at the same time and the staff dealt swiftly and efficiently with all. The evening meals were fabulous but was unable to partake of all 6 courses. The staff were friendly and efficient and the evening entertainment was very nice. My room looked out on the side so no sea view but was quiet, clean and warm. The coast path runs in front of the hotel so for walkers a great place to start off from. The hotel supplies a courtesy taxi service down and back from the centre of Torquay which is a great help as it is quite high up on the headland. Congrats to all who work there.

2 Thank emempee
Thank you for your very positive review, I am glad to hear that you all enjoyed the hotel and our Tinsel and Turkey program.

Your kind comments have been passed onto the staff who are all very grateful that their efforts were appreciated.

I hope to see you again at The Headland on your next visit to Torquay.

Best Wishes

Swansea, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 November 2013

I have been organising turkey and tinsel breaks for friends for the last ten years and this is the first time we have been to the Headlands but it certainly won't be the last. From the moment we arrived, everything was perfect. I have osteoporosis and need a daily soak in my bath but the allocated 112, only had a walk in shower. I immediately contacted Tamsin on reception and next day was reallocated rom 133 which had a shower and bath. Nothing was too much trouble for the staff, from management, bar staff, waiting staff, cleaners etc., The food was outstandingly good and the whole ambiance of the hotel was just perfect - small quiet areas plenty of seating and a warm atmosphere. The only drawback was the bar prices, i.e. I paid four pounds for a glass and a small bottle of coca cola but one expects this in a hotel of this quality. Overall the best turkey and tinsel break ever, inc. the night at Babbacome Theatre - a wonderful show. My thanks to everyone at the Headlands for making it a great break - WE SHALL RETURN!!!

Room Tip: Best rooms are 130 upwards.
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
3 Thank valmerthyr
Mark_Lockwood-Lee, General Manager at The Headland Hotel, responded to this review, 8 November 2013
I would like to thank you very much for taking the time to write this very positive review after your recent holiday at The Headland Hotel. We are pleased to hear that you enjoyed your first break with us here and especially the service from all of the staff, your kind comments have been passed on and are appreciated.

Please do not hesitate in contacting Tamsin who will be able to assist you with planning your next group holiday and I look forward to seeing you in the not too distant future.

Kindest Regards

Coventry, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 November 2013

We have not stayed in a hotel like this for years and would not chose to do so, but with my 86 year old mother and a need for a hotel by the sea in the area, the necessity proved to be a very pleasant experience. The maintenance of the hotel was also very good and clearly an ongoing challenge. The room and common areas were also noticeably clean. We felt that the hotel was fairly full and when it came to dinner we expected a wait. However, the food was served very swiftly and it was of a good standard, presentation and on hot plates! The waiting staff were also excellent and were prepared to deal with our demanding requirements. With nightly entertainment too it is certainly good value for money.

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with family
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank jnj2049
Thank you for writing the review after your break away with your mother, I am very glad to hear that you did enjoy your first experience at the hotel. We do constantly try and make sure that the hotel is well maintained and appreciate your comments.

I hope that you will visit us again when you are next staying in the area.

Kind Regards

Coventry, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 October 2013

We (48 of us) have just returned from this Hotel on our annual Turkey and Tinsel week-end and everyone has enjoyed a wonderful time. They have Christmas in October organised to perfection.. and Hotel ia beautifully decorated. The Staff are all very friendly and helpful and nothing is too much trouble, the Hotel is extremely clean and the food excellent and plentiful. What else can I say - you will be a very hard act to follow.......Thank you so much..

• Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
2 Thank Annette H
I am very pleased to hear that you and your group enjoyed your stay so much and thank you very much for taking the time to write this very nice review.

The staff do try their very best to make sure all of our guests enjoy their time at The Headland and they appreciate your kind comments.

We all hope to be welcoming you back again in the not to distant future.

Best Wishes

Brecon Beacons National Park, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 October 2013

If you just want plenty to eat and evening entertainment you won't be disappointed. If you want a relaxing, comfortable, romantic break, go elsewhere. We had stayed at the hotel twice before when it was The Overmead, once for an anniversary, which was enjoyable, and we had sea view rooms on both occassions without requesting them, so we decided to return for our 47th wedding anniversary. What a difference ! I only requested a bath, as I assumed all rooms had nice views. I have angina and arthritis so can't manage stairs very well, but thought I would be able to manage. I struggled all week getting up from the smelly hell hole we were put in.
Don't order a surprise Gift Package. It'll be a surprise if you get what you've paid for; we didn't. The staff will think you are nit-picking if you complain, although the manager did get a daily paper when I said we wanted it then, not at tea time !. I queried why we didn't have a bath, and the non delivery of the package I had ordered for my husband, and was treated as if I was trying to pull a scam ! I suspected it had been delivered to the room we were originally allocated. Our room was altered (downgraded ?) without consulting us. We weren't the only ones. I think room 120 must be the room Linda G was given (see review July 2012) In her words, dark, damp, dismal, sub basement room with black mould on walls. She never mentioned the ominous discoloured patch and crack over the bed, and the dreadful musty smell. The heater wasn't working automatically. We eventually switched it on manually, but it is literally inches from the dressing table and bed head........a fire hazard. The room layout was ridiculous.
Reception said it was a garden view room ? ! The small window was obscured by a big tv on the dressing table. If you stood up you could see a bit of grass and the ugly residences opposite; presumably they could see into our room, as we had to have the light on......it was so gloomy, North facing and not a ray of sunshine permeated it. The shower room was newly tiled but freezing cold...........no heating. I thought the stench was (dead) rats in the sewer, as the water took ages to drain out of the tray......................it was in danger of overflowing the time it took for water to run lukewarm. I assumed everyone was showering at the same time, but apparently problems with the boilers. Probably drains too, as I saw workmen outside.
The manager got on the coach when we returned from a day out on Wednesday, and said some guests would have no hot water for 15 minutes. They were the lucky ones. 3 hours later, my husband had to boil the kettle to have a shave, and I had a quick wash in cold water. Next day, when the water was hot enough to wash my hair, (although no water pressure so barely a trickle) I had difficulty drying my hair ! No wonder I returned home with a cough. The hair dryer was on the opposite wall to the mirror. No dressing table mirror, not that we could sit at the dressing table, the chair wouldn't pull out as the bed was in the way. It also prevented the shower room door opening properly too !
The gap between the mirror and dressing table was only big enough to fit a bin in, so I couldn't squeeze in there, and I'm not a contortionist so couldn't lean sideways to see what I was doing, drying my hair and applying makeup.. The room is only suitable for an energetic man, who likes a cold room and tepid shower, and uses an electric razor and watches tv from bed. The coach driver probably had a better room. Only one key for the room so only suitable for one person, unless the people in room 181 who had originally been allocated 120 had kept a key.
They obviously kept the gift card which should have been with my husbands surprise, although the message on it would not be relevant to anyone else. He never received my special sentiments. Why didn't the staff write another card ? There was a card with the champagne our friends had ordered for us, but no flutes to drink it out of, only goblets...........very elegant ! Not that our surroundings warranted expensive bubby and chocolates. We had no table and chairs to sit at. There was a small table and chairs in the corridor, at the bottom of the stairs ! Why ? A fire door was outside 120, so we heard everyone going past.
I should have asked for a refund of the price of the gift package when they failed to deliver it on time, I could have bought a card, and paper at Smiths and chocs at Thorntons much cheaper, also the cost of the champagne, in total would have paid for a 3 night upgrade to an executive room. My husband had problems spending his bar voucher........some staff didn't know what it was. I didn't think we would need the late room checkout I had paid for in the package, as we were leaving at 10.30am. At 9.15 when I was filling in the hotel questionnaire, the chambermaid was knocking to see if we were still there.............obviously no one had told her we didn't have to be out straight after breakfast. I wanted to have a cup of tea before we departed, the hospitality tray was well stocked. When housekeeping knocked again, I gave up in despair. We had a last look around the grounds.........we won't be returning. We were first on the coach, couldn't wait to get away. An anniversary to forget. Memorable for all the wrong reasons.
The dining room decor, staff and food were very nice, although it was very noisy. I stopped wearing my hearing aid. It was only the food which stops this having a TERRIBLE rating. It was suggested we should have asked to be transfered to one of the other Duchy Hotels, but I felt it was up to the hotel management to make guests welcome. A tent on Daddyhole Plain would have been more comfortable with better views.

Room Tip: Refuse room 120 without even seeing it. A North facing room, cold and damp
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled as a couple
7 Thank JoanGuest
Mark_Lockwood-Lee, Manager at The Headland Hotel, responded to this review, 24 October 2013
Good Morning. Whilst we appreciate feedback good or bad, we do like it to be true and I am afraid your story is grossly fabricated in places.
When you didn’t put any requests in with your coach company about room type or accessibility issues (which help us to allocate the rooms to the best of our ability) we couldn’t possibly foresee that you have angina and arthritis and can’t do stairs very well. You mention that you struggled all week getting to the room however not once did you bring this to myself or one of my colleagues attention where we could have had the opportunity to help you.
You also state that you requested a bath and unfortunately we cannot accommodate all coach party requests unless agreed with the hotel prior to arrival. As we have a limited number of baths, that were all booked previously, we could not do this for you on this occasion. We do our best to accommodate all requests, however they are on a request only basis with large groups and therefore are not guaranteed.
The package you ordered consisted of a box of chocolates, a card, drinks voucher, newspaper and late check out if required. The chocolates, bar voucher and card were put in your room on the first evening as a surprise. When you ordered the package with my colleague, you informed her that as you were travelling on the coach trip, you did not require a late check out.
You are correct that when I had found out that the newspaper the night porter delivered was not outside your room when you awoke, I immediately dropped everything to go a obtain another one for you.
We would certainly not think you ‘nit-picking’ if you complain, we welcome the opportunity to make your stay as enjoyable as possible and if you report things to us if they are not right, we then have the opportunity to do something about it. If you leave without saying a word about any problem and then leave a scathing review on tripadvisor, you leave us no opportunity to remedy things for you.
Your room was never ‘downgraded’ as you suggest. The room type that you had booked and paid for was standard and that was what you were allocated. We have room upgrades available to our club, executive and royal rooms and if you had wanted to upgrade from the standard that you booked for your anniversary, you only had to ask. Your room was switched on arrival day to accommodate a lady with accessibility issues but I can assure you both rooms are exactly the same room type. As you never let us know about your issues, we didn’t have the chance to do the same thing for you.
The room 120 is a good sized twin room on the garden level with a newly refurbished bathroom with the highest standard of fixtures and fittings, large flat screen television and all well stocked amenities as you later compliment us on having.
The room is not a ‘sub basement’ room, it is one of our beautiful garden level rooms with views of our extensive gardens. I have checked this room personally today and I can assure you that there is no ‘crack above bed’ and ‘ominous discoloured patch’. As you can see from the majority of our other reviews, we are extremely vigilant on maintenance and our onsite maintenance team make sure the hotel is kept in the best condition possible at all times.
You are correct, the heater in this room does not ‘work automatically’ as it is an electric heater and requires being turned on, as do the bedside lamps, lights and television. I can assure you that this is not a fire hazard as we are regulated by a fire commissioner at least one a year which most recently was done this week, and there is plenty of space.
The voiles and curtains in the room mean that no-one outside can see through your window and I am afraid you are wrong, the sun does shine through the windows. Your comments about the ‘ugly’ properties outside looking in are again untrue and I am sure the residents of these lovely retirement properties would disagree that their homes are ugly.
There is no smell, sewerage or otherwise, in that room, as I have inspected it this morning and we have had no other complaints about this rooms scent. If the water was taking a while to drain you need only have told us and it would have been rectified immediately.
Again I must stress if you had problems with your hot water you only had to mention it to reception and our maintenance team would have looked at it immediately.
The workmen you saw were installing a new state of the art boiler system and not there because we were ‘having problems with boilers’ or ‘drains’ as you suggest.
You are correct that I did get on the coach to see if everyone had a nice day out and to let them know that the new boilers were being installed and we were fifteen minutes away from the hot water coming through and apologised for any inconvenience that this may cause. I can confirm that it was through in fifteen minutes and we had no complaints from any other room. Again I feel I must stress that if you had informed us, we could have investigated your particular room (as there may have been an airlock in the system) but you did not let us know.
Your disparaging remarks about the room are all grossly exaggerated and once again I must say that if you had wanted to move rooms you only had to ask and we would have done everything possible to facilitate your request.
All of our bedrooms are only allocated one key per room. Had you wanted another, you only had to ask and we would have gladly given you a duplicate as we do on many occasions for all our guests.
Again you come back to fabrications regarding your package. You are correct that the ‘staff’ did not ‘just write another card’. I wrote the message personally and ensured our head housekeeper delivered it to your bedroom. The champagne that was ordered by your friends arrived the next day again by our head housekeeper in an ice bucket with two flutes, I saw her arrange them myself.
You are correct that you had no tables and chairs to sit at because this does not come standard in standard rooms. If you had booked a sea view executive for your anniversary, you would have had a large seating area in the window.
You are also correct that a bottle of champagne is more expensive than our reasonably priced upgrades, which is why I cannot understand that you did not ask to upgrade before or during your stay.
If you had asked for a refund for the package, or given any indication that you were unhappy with any single aspect of your stay we would have done absolutely everything in our power to make your stay more enjoyable as we do with all of our guests. Instead you have ignored this opportunity, waited to get home and share your words, which are quite frankly rude, untrue and bordering on libellous.

Yours sincerely