“Just as you'd imagine!!”

Grosvenor Hotel Torquay
Ranked #21 of 87 Hotels in Torquay
Cornwall
“Just as you'd imagine!!”
Reviewed 1 October 2012

My friend and I chose The Grosvenor out of curiosity having seen it on TV. It was just as you would imagine!
We had two rooms which were both rather tired with shabby decor and furnishings, in my bathroom (room 10) there were cracks in the wash basin and bath both of which had been fixed with an attractive smear of isopon moreover the bath flexed as I got in! That said, however, the bed linen and towels were spotlessly clean and I enjoyed a good night's sleep.
My friend's door did not lock, the window in room did not shut but I did have comprehensive instructions advising me how to operate the phone. There was no phone! My friend enjoyed the luxury of a telephone but had no instructions.
The bar and entertainment were great and the staff couldn't have been more pleasant even going so far as to make cheese and onion toasties at 2am.
The breakfast was disappointingly good....we had imagined tinned mushrooms and watery eggs but it was a tasty well cooked meal.
Would I stay there again? Not a chance even though at £99 for three nights it was pretty good value for money.
Over the 2am toasties we gained some information about what happens next but I'm not going to spoil it for you!

Room Tip: Don't ask for room 10
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled with friends
13 Thank Yvonne G

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (332)
Chesterfield, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 October 2012

we,a party of six had a great week,s holiday at the grosvenor hotel,all the staff we came into contact with were very courtious and helpful.our rooms were good ,just a couple of niggles ,but nothing major,the food was quite good ,although portion,s were small ,if we asks for a little extra it was now problem.the bar was very good but did not have a very good selection of lager /beer,s prices were £3-30 pint of carlsberg lager .the men in our party prefere carling,but ! we were ok with what was on offer .two happy hour,s ,onr from 5 till 6-15pm one from 8 till 9 pm ,£ 2 per pint .we all enjoyed our stay very much .thank you to all concerned.( ps our waitress was very good 10/10 )

• Stayed September 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank aljones466
bedfordshire
Reviewed 21 September 2012

Just passing through Torquay from another destination.We were really tired that day from all the driving we had done previous.To our lovely surprise we found this hotel late on the evening.
We booked for the night as they had a vacant room, which was very reasonably priced for a double .(Felt lucky we got a room at last minute like this.) Little did i know it was 'The Hotel' from the TV series which i watched a few times at the beginning of the year,(wished i could have watched more lol) I only realised this while booking at the reception area thinking it looked familiar.
When i arrived at our room i was really excited as i loved it, never stayed in one like it before.It had such character.(Please look at photos.).The bed was luxurious and very comfortable.We had a good view from all the windows.
Had an excellent night sleep.

The breakfast room/restaurant was a different story.
Waitress service.
Had to wait ages to get served as only a few waiters with a certain system, you had to sit where you were put.Could not choose your table as everyone had there allocated tables.Never seen anything like it , 'like the dark ages' :-). I could not stop watching the waiters rushing to each table serving individually one at a time.This making the system longer to wait for breakfast.If you were in a rush to go out for the day forget it! However i cannot fault the waiters.They worked very very hard and by the end of service they were sweating red faces.I felt i wanted to give our waitress a big tip as she deserved it, which i did,(i said 'you are a very good waitress') as i really appreciated the hard work she was doing under the full restaurant/busy system circumstances.She always had a smile on here face and made sure we were ok
Would love to stay here again but will not because of the restaurant system.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank meanwhatisay
Birmingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 September 2012

We had booked to stay in Torquay at another hotel but after seeing the Hotel on TV we thought we would give the Inn, fish and steak restaurant a go. After reading some bad reviews we were a bit dubious but went with an open mind. It is just how it is on the tele (a bit dated, unorganised and bordering on chaotic at times but thats what we loved when watching the programme).
The head waiter was very nice and gave us complimentary drinks for having to wait 15 minutes to be seated. Once we did get our food it was excellent. The steak was delicious and we could'nt fault it. I would definitely recommend eating at the Inn.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled with family
3 Thank Donnams68
Lancaster, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 September 2012

We have just returned from a week at the grosvenor in torquay, and me and my wife fully enjoyed it.We were booked to go into a caravan in torbay but when we turned up it was a dump so we rang round to find a hotel and managed to get into the grosvenor with a lot of help from karen one of the members of staff(she was realy helpfull...!!!)
We dident realise that the hotel had been on tv wich wouldent of matterd to us if we new anyway.

The staff are very helpful,they will try to go out of there way to make your stay with them as good as it can be.
They have a 24 hour bar for people staying in the hotel,wich to my wifes downfall i enjoyed very much as i had a couple of late night drinks,but its not full of idiots.
The breakfasts wich are included are not the best in the world but give you a good little start to the day.
The hotel its self could realy do with a re-fit,but to be fair with the money they charge is in mine and my wifes eyes, were a fair price that they charged.
Its not the ritz but it has a great location,leave the car in the car park because it takes 10 mins along the lovley sea front to all the bars and shops,and resturaunts.
Theres 2 weatherspoons in the centre wich for people on a budget is great,but theres also lots of other great bars there too.
If you go to brixham parking is free for 2 hours near the maritime inn on top of the hill.

Room Tip: Ask for a room near ground floor as theres no lift.
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank chris e
llanelli
Reviewed 3 September 2012

my family two adults and three children had a fantastic sunday cavery at the grosvenor on 2nd sept the food was lovely and the staff very pleasant,and very good value with a choice of three meats or all three.

Stayed September 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank margaretllanelli
Reviewed 2 September 2012

I booked a room for 3 nights for my fiancees birthday. We had a great time and all staff at the hotel were really accomodating. I spoke to hotel manager ~Mark prior to our visit to organise having flowers put into the room for my partner for when we arrived, he did so and they were perfect ~ she loved them! The room was very clean, a little dated, but it added a rustic feel to the experience! Breakfast was fantastic. We did giggle at the plate sizes for our full english breakfast (a bit small) but the food and service was great. This is a hotel that tries to accomodate every type of customer, I can see that clients who do not have an open mind would struggle to appreciate the quirkiness of the hotel and its staff. I initially booked 2 nights, but changed the booking when i saw the offer for more discount if you stay longer. We were very happy with our visit and we will definately be going again and recommending to our friends and family.

• Stayed July 2012