John Burton-Race Restaurant & Rooms
Marquis Hotel(Torquay)
Riviera Hotel(Torquay)
  • Breakfast included
View Hotel
All reviewsgrosvenor hotelrichardson groupindoor poolno liftbit datednight porterevening mealcouldn't do enoughwaiting stafffamily roombed and breakfasthigh standardfull englishtea and coffeesea viewwarm welcomereceptionist
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 23 November 2012

As a regular customer. I called in to book a room advertised at 19.95 per room only to be told by a smug looking receptionist that it was 89.00 per night because the hotel was nearly full. Some customer relation skills Gone down hill since mark left, won't be staying again that's for sure

Stayed: November 2012, travelled solo
41  Thank Jeff C
Reviewed 12 November 2012

We arrived for lunch and ordered a cappuccino which was just black coffee, we pointed this out to the barman/waiter who replaced it.
Then we ordered lunch a ploughmans and a burger and chips. They arrived after a 45 minute wait.
I have never before encountered a ploughmans lunch made with grated cheese it looked very boring and a big let down.
Now to try and eat it well we had no cutlery or butter for the half baquette the ploughmans came with. We highlighted our plight to the barman who promptly vanished for a good 10 mins to seek out some cutlery. By now it was cold over cooked burger and luster lacking plopughmans.
We shall not be going back

13  Thank juliebaker02
Reviewed 9 November 2012

my daughter had booked her wedding reception here only to be told by the new events manager that the room had been double booked (hotel had gone into liquidation and taken over by the Grand hotel Torquay group) the day before the wedding - our worst nightmare - but along with the new general manager (having been in the job a week) totally boosted our confidence that all was going to be as we wanted, nothing was too much trouble, getting staff, friends and family in to totally transform a room fitting for a wedding reception they pulled it off to our amazement, it was a success - total thanks to all staff involved who made my daughters nightmare so special. The food was also good and the rooms all really spacious - well done to all

22  Thank Paula T
Reviewed 7 November 2012

My wife and I stayed at the Grosvenor Hotel from Friday 5th. October 2012 until Monday 8th., we were attending a Naval Reunion.
We were allocated room 14 as we had requested a room with a balcony.
On first appearance it seemed ideal, but as the week-end progressed things went from poor to dangerous.
The first time i went to take a shower I found that the shower flexible tube was so short that I ended up with the cleanest belly button in Torquay.
On the Saturday morning on giving my wife her cup of tea in bed, I sat on the edge , only to realised that there was a terrific slope, at least 3" lower on my wife's side.
Not to worry we had the balcony to sit on and admire the great view and read the morning papers.
Come Monday morning it was raining so we didn't go out onto the balcony (thank God). Just before we went down to breakfast we heard a cracking noise follwed by a considerable crash.
If you look at the attached photo's you will see that a large lump of concrete had fallen from the apex of the roof and hit the side of the glass top table, another piece had landed on the seat where my wife would have been sitting.
naturally we were both shocked over this, but on reporting it to reception their responce was a 'couldn't care less' attitude.
I would have put this review on before but as of todays date 07/11/2012 we have had no appology of any sort .
The whole hotel seemed like a sieve, water was coming in everywhere when it rained, the staff tried to help by putting buckets here there and everywhere.
As I said at the beinging "STAY AT YOUR PERIL"

Room Tip: Avoid room 14 & take a good umbrella.
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled with friends
31  Thank Gunmaker
Reviewed 5 November 2012

We had an excellent room with a king size bed, fridge and table and 2 comfortable chairs. The hotel is very close to the sea front and only a short walk to the town centre and restraunts. A short stroll the other way and you are at the railway station. We had an excellent 3 nights stay and it is one of only a handful of hotels that we would visit again.

Room Tip: Ask for Room 1.
1  Thank wobbly0