“Excellent Break!” 5 of 5 bubbles

Grosvenor Hotel Torquay
Ranked #21 of 89 Hotels in Torquay
“Excellent Break!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 July 2013

Having watched 'The Hotel' on Channel 4 we were a bit wary about what we might be getting ourselves into when booking here but we got a good deal so decided to go ahead anyway. We need not have worried. Sure, the hotel is a little dated and there are glaring issues that need to be resolved but this is all being taken care of during the transition to the new owner. The outside is already being worked upon and I'm sure this hotel will be top notch when all the work is complete.
If you can look past the dated decor and minor issues you will see that The Grosvenor is a fantastic hotel with some great facilities. The outside pool is fabulous and we enjoyed many hours in there. The room itself was large, comfy and very quiet. The staff are VERY friendly and make you feel extremely welcome. The breakfast is nice but it is my belief that the 'Premier' breakfast should be the standard for all guests, not just those willing to pay extra.
Overall, we had a wonderful stay at The Grosvenor, got fantastic value for money and would definitely consider returning again!

Room Tip: Room 32 consists of 1 room with a double bed and 1 room with 2 single beds. Large and very quiet. Th...
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Ben_Young_RGM, General Manager at Grosvenor Hotel Torquay, responded to this review, 2 August 2013
Thank you for your lovely review. We are making quick and speedy improvements with the hotel. The staffs are amazing and welcome all guests as family and friends. We look forward to welcoming you back in the future and I am sure you will be amazed by the transitions we have made.
Rebecca Snowball

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (314)
Farnham, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 July 2013

I stayed here for one night while on business in Torquay, my first impression was not great, the facade was peeling, covered in scaffolding and the car park was half full of contractors vans, it just looked shabby.
The communal areas like reception, stairs and the area down to the outdoor pool were dirty and in need of a good hoover.
The room (19) smelt musty and sweaty, the bedside light didn't work, there was a hair in the bath and the carpet was filthy.
I complained to reception and was given a room (26) with a sea view which seemed much better at first glance but one of the curtains had come away from the track, one of the windows could not be regulated, it was either closed or wide open, this caused a problem during torrential rain when the rain came in and soaked the curtains during the night.
There was a tile missing in the bathroom near the bath panel, more water leaked out of the gap between the shower head and the hose than came out of the head itself !, the water temperature was very difficult to regulate, the duvet cover was stained and the plastic seal on the shower screen was hanging down.
Although the hotel is clearly being refurbished, there is still a long way to go.
The reception staff however were friendly and agreed that the first room was not acceptable and moved me without hesitation.
Sadly, I will not be returning as it was just not up to scratch.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled on business
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
I am truly sorry to see that you did not enjoy your stay here. I am glad that receptions were helpful for you. As you have said we are currently renovating and I can assure you that they are now moving quicker than planned. The hotel has been neglected for a long period of time and we are working very hard to improve it. We are now in the bedrooms getting them to a great standard. I do hope you will give the hotel another try in the future and I hope you do not have a bad lasting impression from your stay.
Ipswich, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 23 July 2013

Four of us went on a short break to this hotel. What set it apart was the lovely friendly staff. It was a little like staying with friends.

Smooth check in, great outdoor pool and nice indoor fitness center. The hotel is undergoing some loving care and refurbishment so be aware of this, but I would not hesitate to reccomend it.

Dont expect the ritz, this is an old fashioned gem of a building with creaky floors and a much lived in feel.

Its really close to the sea front, and about a 15 minute walk from the town center.

My only issue was breakfast which I think could have been a little more organized and run later than 9.30 on a weekend.

Room Tip: Some rooms have been recently refurbished
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled with friends
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for your lovely review. The hotel has excellent staff and as you have said is an old gem. With some TLC the hotel will be amazing. I have taken on board with regards to having a later breakfast and we will be implementing a later breakfast at weekend in 1 weeks’ time. Again thank you for your feedback and I hope to see you again in the near future.
Rebecca Snowball.
Chesterfield, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 July 2013

This review is no way a reflection on our tour company Gee Vee Travel who as usual have been brilliant. We went back to the Grosvenor hotel because we had such a great time last year.wow so much can change in a year,the food last year was good even though some of veg frozen but plenty of it and well presented.This year almost inedible and not enough to feed a fly. I have been in hotel and catering for over 30 years never dream of presenting this type of food to a customer, and and to call it fine dining is a joke.I am only going to coment on 3 meals if i did the lot i would be hear an hour but i am sure you will get the idea. Sunday roast one small piece of beef i think about 3oz 1 small potato roasted cut in half 1 yorkshire pudding and 8 thin slices of carrot, thats it,2nd example 2 pieces of mullet dry and over cooked on rice pudding said it was risotto with 19 peas in it,i say 19 peas because the chef doesnt seem to like cooking veg unless you pay £1-50 extra.i mad a meeting with a manager on Thursday but my 3rd example realy takes the micky served on Friday on the menu as FRESHLY BATTERED COD wow chips and mush peas i bet the chef thaought he was working in a chippy,i think almost all our crowd had this. we got frozen fish 2 on our table was hot mine was stone cold in the middle and at least 2 were sent back with ice still in them. Most meals were served with carrots sliced,julien,ribbons, spagettied and thats all we got only saw one other veg all week and that was two small florets of brocolli and i mean small. as i said unless you wanted to pay £1-50 extra.We drank in the hotel bar all week it was nice on balcony and entertainment was ok the first 2 nights we were charged £1-00 a dash for coke after they changed the till 3rd night it went down to50p on the thursday night i forgot a half of lager so i fetched one they charged me £1-95 for that half, we paid £3-30 a pint and told half lager and shandy were£1-95a half,i accused them of discrimination against women [how many many women do you know drink pints of lager] i reacon it cost us about £30-00 extra in the bar rip of,our driver had a meeting with the general manager.who was made aware of things and he is submitting a report to our tour company. I had a meeting with a manager she was aware of some of the problems and agreed with me not acceptable [nothing changed] . I am sure it cost me and my partner and also the couple with us an extra £50 each over the 7 days to supliment our food. the manager did buy us a round of drinks about £17-00 we wont be going back

Room Tip: room 30 trafic noise, our 2nd room 11 a lot better
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for your review. I have been in contact with Gee Vee today to discuss these issues. I am sorry to hear you will not be returning. I have spoken with my head chef this week and he will be ensuring that with all group bookings he will be providing ample of extra vegetables. With regards to the prices to the drinks we lowered our bar prices through the week as we were reviewing our prices, I was aware that this caused an upset as customers felt that they had been paying too much earlier on in the week, but I can assure you this was not our intention. We try to stay as competitive as we can with the local business. I am glad to hear that Rachel did buy you a round of drinks to try to compensate for your upset.
I do hope you will re consider coming back to the hotel in the future as we are improving the hotel daily. Again thank you for your feedback as this is important for me to know on how I can keep improving the business.
Weston-super-Mare, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 July 2013

After watching the channel 4 programme, we were interested in trying the hotel to see if it was a suitable venue for a family get-together to celebrate my 70th birthday. Unfortunately, it was like the curate's egg, only good in parts. We thought the food was OK, but nothing special (Alex Polizzi would have probably been somewhat critical). We appreciated the efforts of the two waiting staff in the garden restaurant, who were very helpful, but rushed off their feet, and we wondered why there weren't at least three. We complained about a cracked cup in our room and someone rushed upstairs and produced another cup, but failed to remove the offending article, so the cracked cup was washed up and put back on the tray for the next morning. We'd previously warned the Hotel that my wife was a coeliac and asked whether they could cater for a gluten-free diet, and were assured that they could, and it was on the computer. But somehow the chef hadn't been informed, so he'd made no provision. A number of the radiators were on in the hotel and cooking the guests, but there was no explanatory note at reception, and no apparent effort to deal with the problem.
We felt that in it's day the hotel was full of character and must have been impressive. The staff did try to help, but there was little joined-up thinking, and if they'd passed a request onto someone else, then it was that person's omission if the request wasn't dealt with. What appeared to be missing was the on-site supervisory management, checking that everyone was doing their job properly, ensuring that guests weren't having their orders taken, or having pre-ordered, because they were going to the theatre, still being kept waiting. The on-site management staff were conspicuous by their absence, and this was our biggest criticism. Needless to say, I will be choosing another venue for my party. Altogether disappointing.

1 Thank WoodofWeston
I am truly saddened to here that you did not enjoy your stay here at The Grosvenor Hotel. I will be looking in to all the points you have made with my management team. By the sounds of these errors you are correct that there seems to be a breakdown in communication, and I will ensure this is dealt with immediately. I have looked in to the heating problem we were having and this has been resolved, after a call out to our trusty plumbers. Thank you for your feedback as I need to see which areas we need to improve on to move the hotel forward.
I sincerely hope that you will try our hotel at some point in the future as we are making great progress to improve the hotel on a daily basis.
Reading, UK
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 July 2013

Felt that we had to go and visit the Grosvenor before the new owners redeveloped it and it lost all of that Channel 4 charm.
First I have to say that we were surprised by the lack of progress achieved since the new owners took over, it seems like the emphasis is on getting the Inn@Grosvenor ready first as other areas were just downright tatty inside and out but would have been OK if they had had just a lick of paint…. a case in point was the radiator in the ensuite, covered in grime and rust, and the visible signs of water ingress almost everywhere. You could also clearly see where cameras had been taken down as no attempt had been made to fill in the holes. Could I dare to suggest they employ a painter and decorator on the books rather than a contractor, for 6 months and just go from one end to the other. As it was it looked like some of the staff were doing this in their own time... nice commitment but shocking maanagement... Another downside as the contractors were working on the inn is that their equipment takes up valuable parking space so some had to park at the Grand and be ferried back. Luckily we found that everything we wanted to do was within reach by car so we left it in its space. Even Brixham was only a £2 return ferry ride away. As an aside we didn't care much for Brixham...much preferred the Torquay harbourside area.
Room was acceptable, a Premier room, fairly large with space for a desk and chair, but no flat screen TV yet just an old 12” with 6 channels. Bed was comfy. Décor not too bad. Unfortunately the room we had was at the end of a corridor with 3 doors coming off of it so it was very noisy with the comings and goings of the occupants and visitors to the other two rooms. Ipad size safe, Tea and coffee making facilities, sufficient towels. They also provide towels for the pools. Lockers were a £1 I think, we didn’t use them. Breakfast was OK, a small plate of the “Full English” plus a small selection of cereals and juices, coffee and toast. Seemed reception and bar doubled up in thg evening as we had trouble getting served at the deserted bar. Late evening entertainment was provided on both nights we stayed (Fri&Sat) although not too many in the audience so you did 'feel' for the acts, but it was a balmy evening and Torquay is only a ten minute walk away......
The worst thing for us was that we didn’t realise that Day Visitors were allowed….. £10 a day I think, so the resident’s outdoor pool was crammed with people not staying there, as was the lawn next to the pool. I would not return for this reason alone. Despite there being a sign to the contrary, inflatables were allowed in the pool which meant that there was no quiet end for the adults to swim a few widths. The pool itself was 2m deep I think. Bar prices were acceptable.
But for all the negatives this place has an awful lot going for it and you could see that the investment should pay off… ideal location a very short distance from the beach and Torquay harbourside and shops, a large deep outdoor pool and bar area, kids play area, a sizeable indoor pool, tub, sauna and gym with modern equipment. A night club, function room, spacious bar and terrace with pleasant garden views, on-site hair salon, separate restaurant and breakfast room, and some lovely period features. So overall I’d suggest you get there quick to savour the place as it was on the TV, then book again when all the redecorating has finished.

Room Tip: Belgrave road was very noisy
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Thank you for your review. I can assure you we are investing very quickly in to the hotel. Unfortunately our first priority of investment to the hotel was to ensure we made the building safe, by following all procedures with the gas, electrics and fire precautions. We completed this by Christmas and we are now moving around the hotel with renovations. So far we have renovated the indoor and outdoor pool, purchased a new children’s play area for outside, renovated 9 rooms, we have started painting the outside of the hotel.
Over the next couple of weeks the reception, bar, and the Inn restaurant are being completed. We are ensuring we do not disturb the guests whilst we are doing this, but have made the decision to do it now as we want our guests to be welcomed to a lovely kept hotel.
I agree with regards to the late night entertainment, we are trying to promote this so that we have a better atmosphere in our bar area. I do hope you will come back and visit once we have finished our renovations, as you have said this is a lovely hotel with so much potential.
London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 July 2013

They were in the process of painting the building when my son and I stayed for 3 nights at the start of July. Room 2 is excellent as can be observed in the photo's. Other areas are in need of TLC, but are clean and the DBB deal is excellent value for money, with a delicious three course meal in the evening! I had whitebait, fish and chips, then Ice cream in a brandy snap biscuit, delicious. Waiting staff were very attentive and breakfast was sufficient.

Room Tip: Room 2 is very large and recently decorated!
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Ben_Young_RGM, General Manager at Grosvenor Hotel Torquay, responded to this review, 1 August 2013
Thank you for your lovely review. Yes, room 2 is an amazing room, we are currently decorating all the communal areas along with the outside of the hotel. I hope you will return in the near future to see all the improvements we have made.