“Lovely break!!”

Ranked #21 of 88 Hotels in Torquay
Loughor, null, United Kingdom
“Lovely break!!”
Reviewed 3 August 2013

Me & my partner recently stayed at this hotel and it was lovely, it is in a great location and Torquay is beautiful. The hotel is dated but it is clean, the breakfast was nice and the outdoor swimming pool was lovely, the weekend we stayed was really hot so this was a bonus having a pool. There is plenty of room to sit in the gardens as well if the pool is crowded. I would definetly recommend the hotel to anyone who is thinking of going to Torquay, we certainly enjoyed.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (323)
Hereford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 August 2013

I booked this hotel for a short break for us . It was lovely and clean ,breakfast was good and a
lovely waitress called yasmine served us nothing was to much trouble for her . Location was good
easy to walk to shops so parked car up never used it till we left.

Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
Nottingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 31 July 2013

Having watched the TV show, decided to book this hotel mainly on price, but also out of curiosity, so wasn't quite sure what to expect. Although very dated and in need of refurbishment, our room was clean and comfortable and considering we paid a good price for a short bed and breakfast stay this wasn't a concern to us. There is clearly work in progress due to one side of the car park being taken up with painters, so this did restrict parking a little but wasn't an issue to us as we came on a motorbike. Customer service was excellent - there was always a friendly smile and greeting on reception and the standard full English breakfast was very good - just the right amount. The waiter was attentive and very efficient which was a pleasure to see. Hotel is very conveniently situated for the sea front. I'm on a strict budget at the moment but, if the prices were right, I would definitely visit this hotel again.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
Ben_Young_RGM, General Manager at Grosvenor Hotel Torquay, responded to this review, 2 August 2013
Thank you for your lovely review. It is a great feeling to hear this positive feedback especially with regards to the staff as they are the hardest working team members I have ever worked with. I do hope you will take advantage of our amazing off peak offers that we have on at the moment. We look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel.
Ballywalter,Northern Ireland United Kingdom
Reviewed 31 July 2013

My wife booked this hotel on the basis that it was suitable for disabled people. She even phoned them to ensure that it was so and was told that it was. We took my parents who are 91 and 89 years old so we asked for two ground floor rooms close to one another. Again we were assured that this would be done. On arrival we given rooms on the "GROUND FLOOR" which involved climbing up five steps then down two before reaching a room, which for anyone with a mobility problem can be difficult. The other room was situated on the other side of the hotel. This was the first stumbling block. After negotiations with the staff we were told that a room next to my parents would be available the next day. The next day in order to partake of breakfast involved trying to get down a flight of nine stairs then up three more in order to get to the dining room. The hotel has two stair lifts that do not work and when I informed the staff I was told that the engineers had been working on them the day before but they still did not work. Further negotiations with the staff was made and it was agreed to receive our meals in the bar area. At this point I must give praise to the dining staff for all their help. Without walking all the way round the hotel access to the gardens involved a flight of seventeen stairs. Again totally unsuitable. Toilet facilities on the ground floor involved five steps. Again unsuitable. My parents room did not have a handrail in the bathroom which meant that they could not shower or bathe in safety. Until my mother left a note for the cleaner although the beds were made up, cups were not washed, floor not cleaned and in general it would appear that the cleaning staff do not care. I know at the end of the day you only get what you pay for but all the same certain standards should be met and at the Grosvener Hotel these standards are not met.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
I am truly saddened to hear about these issues you have had with your stay here at the hotel. I will certainly be investigating in to the cleanliness of your mother’s room, as we take a high pride in our cleanliness and this is unacceptable. Unfortunately with the building being 3 old Victorian houses we do have an issue with large flights of stairs. We have a stair lift on the right side of the building which is now in working order. I am truly sorry that this was not working on your arrival. We do serve breakfast and dinner in our top bar if guests cannot manage the stairs to the restaurant and I am glad to hear my team done this for you. I am truly sorry to hear that you did not enjoy your stay and if you would like to contact me personally to talk about these issues then please do not hesitate.
Norwich, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 July 2013

You'll have seen the TV programme and read the reviews so a reality check. The Grosvenor was acquired by the Richardson group last year and is now undergoing extensive upgrading. So you will see scaffolding and builders and yes there will be paint coming off the walls and rooms looking old. But this is all reflected in the room price which is ludicrously low. Completion date I was told is Spring 2014 and you can bet that prices then will be double / treble current rate. We liked the big gardens / pool, great for sunbathing / relaxing, the staff were polite and extremely hard working, closeness to the beach / harbour area and because it's so big it never feels crowded. In short fantastic value, it's a great hotel for campsite money.

Room Tip: Close to the road so try to get a room overlooking the pool or one that's alcove tucked away.
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
Thank you so much for this lovely review. This is all exactly what you have said. We are renovating and we will be all completed by the spring. I will ensure that the hotel is always at an affordable rate as we aim to be an affordable, family fun hotel. We have fantastic facilities and want family's to come and use these. I hope to see you again in the near future.
cornwall
Reviewed 27 July 2013

As Mark Jenkins once said in the hotel programe rich people expect too much and poor people are just glad to be on bloody holiday. I am the latter of these two and booked the grosvenor because of the price it is very run down, shabby in plces our room 44 was huge massive bathroom curtain hanging off , masking tape over a hole in mattress , shower bit dodgy these were just a few things I could mention but apart from that the pool area was lovely outside balcony was nice aswell staff very nice and pleasant gardens are beautifull and nice to sit in after a day out in torquay which is just a short stroll across the promenade. The hotel is getting a makeover which it really does need so I expect we wont be able to afford to return I really did like it the way it is to be honest holes in mattress and all like I said we were just gratefull to be on holiday and the minus points did not bother us at all . The rooms were boiling in this lovely weather we've been having the windows were permanently open, we would love to return to the grosvenor so please don't put your prices up, lovely hotel lovely staff and grounds. Parking is rather limited too but there is always somewere there to park so not a problem. Breakfast was nice I would have called it a childs portion but you could have cereal and juice aswell if you wanted and it did set you up for the day the staff at breakfast were excellent and very polite. Would love to come back again.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled as a couple
Thank you for your lovely review. We are making some great progress in renovations to the hotel, as the hotel is tired. I can assure you we are going to be an affordable, comfortable hotel. We have some fantastic offers in the off peak seasons so please take advantage of these. I look forward to seeing you again in the future.
Reviewed 27 July 2013

Having watched 'The Hotel' on Channel 4 we were a bit wary about what we might be getting ourselves into when booking here but we got a good deal so decided to go ahead anyway. We need not have worried. Sure, the hotel is a little dated and there are glaring issues that need to be resolved but this is all being taken care of during the transition to the new owner. The outside is already being worked upon and I'm sure this hotel will be top notch when all the work is complete.
If you can look past the dated decor and minor issues you will see that The Grosvenor is a fantastic hotel with some great facilities. The outside pool is fabulous and we enjoyed many hours in there. The room itself was large, comfy and very quiet. The staff are VERY friendly and make you feel extremely welcome. The breakfast is nice but it is my belief that the 'Premier' breakfast should be the standard for all guests, not just those willing to pay extra.
Overall, we had a wonderful stay at The Grosvenor, got fantastic value for money and would definitely consider returning again!

Room Tip: Room 32 consists of 1 room with a double bed and 1 room with 2 single beds. Large and very quiet. Th...
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
Thank you for your lovely review. We are making quick and speedy improvements with the hotel. The staffs are amazing and welcome all guests as family and friends. We look forward to welcoming you back in the future and I am sure you will be amazed by the transitions we have made.