“Great value for money”

Ranked #22 of 88 Hotels in Torquay
london
“Great value for money”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 May 2014

We (a dozen or so sea fishing enthusiasts from London) have been staying here twice a year for a long weekend for a few years now and love the place. We get a good rate for a large group booking made months in advance and pay £50 - £60 pp for Fri/Sat 2 nights in May and September which is fantastic vfm. The hotel is constantly improving its facilities and accommodation and the rooms have just undergone another upgrade and redecoration. The breakfast is very good with a wide range of unlimited cereals, fruits, dairy produce, toast and preserves, juices and tea and coffee as well as a hearty cooked breakfast. The management and staff are very friendly and helpful and they help create a very relaxed and comfortable atmosphere. The bar and ballrooms are usually quite lively at weekends with weddings and other functions being held there and we have enjoyed some very good evenings at The Grosvenor. All our rooms are well furnished, spotlessly clean and spacious with en-suite, TV, tea/coffee facilities and WiFi and are situated far enough away from the bar and ballrooms to ensure that a noise free and peaceful sleep is enjoyed by all and I am finding it hard to pick fault with the place. I've never seen the TV show but, from what I have heard, it paints it as a quirky, disorganised establishment striving to survive. Quirky it is (in all the best possible ways), disorganised it isn't (it is very well run and we have never seen fit to complain about any issue) and I hope it will outlive me because I don't think I would continue going on these fishing trips if we were not staying there (or eating at the best fish bistro in the UK that is Number 7 - an absolute must if you visit Torquay). Phone/Email direct (rather than use comparison sites) to get the best rates and enjoy your stay. Thoroughly recommended.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
Lucy P, General Manager at Grosvenor Hotel Torquay, responded to this review, 28 June 2014
Dear ianjjoyner j,

Thank you so much for you lovely comments!

We are all so pleased that you continue to enjoy your stay time after time and It's always great to welcome back repeat guests.

We will again look forward to welcoming you and your group back very very soon.

Kind Regards from all the team.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (318)
Nottingham, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 May 2014

I visited the Grosvenor in 2012 and my review wasn't great reading.
This trip was organised by the same group and i must admit I was cautious about using the Grosvenor again. However, I was pleased to hear that the hotel had been taken over since my last trip and investment had been made. I was therefore hopeful of improvement.

Upon arrival, as per my previous visit, the staff were very welcoming and helpful. We were escorted to our room and walking through the same halls and staircases it was apparent that significant cleaning and freshening up had taken place. The place felt so much brighter.

On entering our room (No.27) I was pleasantly surprised to see the room had received a good makeover, nicely decorated with coordinating furniture and new carpet. So far so good. Then the Bathroom! Oh no! Although clean it was still a pink 1970's theme that greeted me. The taps had seen better days and the shower was still one of those type connected to the taps with a poor flow rate. Having said that the bathroom was functional and adequate for my purposes.

The restaurant areas have also received investment and provide a more pleasant place to eat and so has the verander with new rattan furniture (a very pleasant place for a drink).

Outside the garden and pool area have significantly improved and although I didn't have a chance to use it the pool looked very inviting given it was a hot weekend.

Staffing at the hotel could be improved (in terms of numbers) but I must say to their credit all the staff were helpful, curtious and always with a smile on their faces although they did appear to be constantly rushing around like the proverbial 'Headless Chicken'

Overall, the investment into the hotel has improved things but from such a low starting base that wouldn't have been difficult. They are certainly trying to make the Grosvenor a place people would like to stay and given the fact that the hotel was full for the weekend then it is working.

I hope for their sake the investment continues and they complete all the work and fully upgrade things sooner rather than later. I wouldn't say they have simply 'Smoothed over the Cracks' as that would be an injustice to the efforts made so far but they still have a long way to go to make this a superb venue.

Well Done Grosvenor on the Upgrades So Far.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Liam L
Ops M, General Manager at Grosvenor Hotel Torquay, responded to this review, 19 June 2014
Dear Liam L,

Thank you so much for your positive & constructive comments.

We have worked extremely hard to get where we are and do acknowledge that we still have things to do, but are confident that we can provide a fabulous holiday for all of our guests.

We have added since to our staffing numbers and will monitor this according to the business to ensure the best service for our guests.

We do hope to see you again soon.

Weston-super-Mare, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 May 2014

Stayed for one night in February on a deal offering bed, breakfast and evening meal for two for £49. To be honest we weren't expecting too much but were very pleasantly surprised. Our room was small but had everything we needed and looked recently refurbished. The bathroom also looked brand new and both were spotlessly clean. Dinner and breakfast were both excellent and all of the staff were friendly and helpful. Location is also excellent, being a pleasant stroll form the town center and a few minutes from the beach. We would definitely recommend The Grosvenor and hope to return soon.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled as a couple
Ops M, Manager at Grosvenor Hotel Torquay, responded to this review, 16 May 2014
Dear joellaeddie,

Thank you so much for taking the time to give us such a positive review.

We have recently completed updating and modernising all of our guest bedrooms and are very pleased that they were so fresh, modern and clean for you.

I do hope that you will be visiting us again very soon and we look forward to seeing you again!

Kingston-upon-Hull, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 May 2014

I was not expecting much as this was one of the cheapest hotels I had booked for our touring holiday in Devon/Cornwall. However the staff were great allowing us into our room at 2pm as it was ready. We enjoyed drinks by the outdoor pool in the sunshine enjoying the lovely gardens and outdoor bar area. Later we had a lovely swim in the indoor pool before going for a walk into the town which was a ten minute walk away. Breakfast was lovely. The room itself was very nice and had obviously been refurbished recently with an excellent bathroom.all in all a gem and would have been very happy to have stayed longer

Room Tip: We were on the ground floor but still had to go up and down some stairs, mention if you have mobilit...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear toffeexx,

Thank you so much for taking the time to review us. I am so pleased that you enjoyed your stay and that everything was to your liking. We have just spend a considerable amount of time freshening up parts of the hotel and it's great to see that it's making a difference to guest's stay!

We look forward to welcoming you back here!

Bath, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 May 2014 via mobile

Stayed on a Sunday night, room was very good and clean. Had the 2 bedroom family room which was perfect. Reception Staff were very good and helpful. Indoor pool is okay and better than nothing but is the size of a postage stamp but water was warm and clean. Far too deep all over for the kids however with no shallow end. Breakfast was plentiful and reasonable choice. Only negative was their were many little nooks and crannies where poor efforts were made to cover up junk and rubbish and bar staff in the eve were drinking with friends in the bar not giving the most professional of appearances. That aside booking at short notice and working out cheaper than the travelodge it is certainly worth it. Would use again.

Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
Ops M, Manager at Grosvenor Hotel Torquay, responded to this review, 17 May 2014
Dear ledoantrang,

Thank you so much for taking the time to review us. I am extremely pleased that enjoyed your stay and will be returning to us.

I was very disappointed to see the comments regarding some of the team members here and of course this is not acceptable and has already been address with the concerned parties

I am really pleased that you enjoyed your breakfast and that you overall stay was to a good standard.

We do look forward to welcoming you again on your next visit and all send you our best regards

Cardiff, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 May 2014

Parking here was limited, but as we were there for a private function the hotel had negotiated off-road parking at a nearby hotel, so once we dropped off our luggage (such as it was for a naturist weekend!) that was fine.
The hotel was clean and very well-presented, if a little dark in the lounge. Our room was quiet, clean and very comfortable, with a large bathroom. I would have liked a handle to help me in and out of the shower/bath.
Mealtimes were well-organised with excellent service from friendly staff who didn't appear fazed by 90 or so middle-aged naturists, so we felt welcome and were able to relax and enjoy the weekend. Breakfast choice was excellent but I hate those industrial toasters that never seem to get it right! I suspect a lot of bread was wasted. Other meals were hot, well-cooked and well presented.
The entertainment was good on the Friday night, the disco less so on the Saturday - maybe a better choice of music from the 60s and 70s would have gone down better!
The sauna was usually off, though I'm told it was on a timer and all we had to do was ask the staff to turn it on. The Jacuzzi looked nice, but was only half full of water. The L-shaped swimming pool was clean, warm and very pleasant.
I have arthritic knees and am none too steady on my feet, so was disappointed that the hotel has no lift - there is a chair lift on one flight of stairs. We asked for, and got, a room on the ground floor with fewer steps to negotiate, however meals and activities were in the ballroom downstairs, so give yourself time if you are slow on stairs!
All in all a very pleasant hotel, which I understand also welcomes dogs, so I look forward to booking a holiday here again. It's just off the seafront road, close to gardens and Torre Abbey and the land train, so in a very good position.

Room Tip: Book early if you want a ground floor room. Room 4 excellent, though the handle rattled a bit! Very...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Jarviesmum
Dear Jarviesmum,

Thank you so much for your lovely review. I am very pleased that you enjoyed your weekend here.

Unfortunately, due to the layout of the hotel, we are unable to install a lift, but for guests who request, we do accommodate in our ground floor rooms and also provide stair lifts to additional rooms and down to our Garden Restaurant where our breakfast is served.

As mentioned, we do welcome dogs here as we believe that being part of the family, they deserve a holiday too!

We do look forward to welcoming you back here again very soon.

With our best regards.
Redditch, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 May 2014

We had a weekend at the Grosvenor, Lovely room, very clean with good maid service, food was excellent, swimming pool clean and warm, the staff were very helpful & couldn't do enough for us, would definitely book again - perfect weekend

Room Tip: Room 22 lovely - view of the sea
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Don W,

Thank you so much for your lovely comments. It was a pleasure to have you staying with us for the weekend and we look forward to welcoming you back here very soon.