“"Little things can mean a lot"”

Grosvenor Hotel Torquay
Ranked #21 of 86 Hotels in Torquay
Reviewed 29 May 2014

Booked very late for D,B&B for two nights and got a fantastic deal. Premium room was a good size with views across Torbay. Bed fairly comfortable but mattress a bit springy - a Hypnos mattress would have secured a very high comfort rating. We had second floor room and while we could manage without a lift, this could prove tricky for the elderly - to be fair the hotel did say there was no lift. Overall the decor is in need of improvement but the new (ish) owners will no doubt get around to this eventually.
The catering arrangements were a bit unusual in that breakfast was served in a lower ground room near the kitchen but dinner was served in another dining area on a higher floor. This meant that staff serving dinner were rushing up and down a whole flight of stairs with the food and orders - the food however was always piping hot, a testament to the fitness of the staff! As to the food itself, the three course dinner was generally OK and very edible but some dishes comprised of just meat and one veg (no potato,for example). Breakfast comprised a good range of fruit/cereals and wide choice of cooked food to suit all tastes.
At the time of our stay there was also a coach party of around 50 at the hotel. There seemed to be only 2/3 staff to cope with the numbers and while they worked their best it would clearly have been better with more help, it was just so disappointing that a hotel so good in many respects was,like many hotels, keeping staff costs to the absolute minimum. Their efforts were not helped by the failure to do a pre-meal table check - we lost count of the number of times the settings were short of certain cutlery in both dining areas and butter was never on the table for dinner but delivered subsequently and rock hard from the fridge. At dinner time these "little things" meant the staff having to go up and down a flight of stairs every time to put matters right and it inevitably added to the time taken to complete the meal.
There was absolutely no problem with the dining room staff who were friendly, helpful and somehow managed to engage with guests despite the obvious pressure. Other staff were also keen to ensure guest comfort and it is clear they are the golden asset at the Grosvenor - they just need to be matched with some improvement in the fabric of the building, which will hopefully include new catering arrangements.

Room Tip: If fit go for second floor Premium room (it's worth the little extra) on South side to avoid noi...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Bob P
Lucy P, General Manager at Grosvenor Hotel Torquay, responded to this reviewResponded 28 June 2014

Dear Bob P,

Thank you so much for taking the time to review us. We appreciate all feedback - good and bad so that we can see the areas that we need to concentrate on.

I assure you that although we of course do need to monitor our costs, we never jeopardise our customer service or satisfaction for this. I have noted that there have been issues with our breakfast service and this has already been addressed and improved.

Unfortunately, due to the layout of the hotel, we are unable to install a lift, but we do have disabled friendly rooms along with stair lifts for guests who are less able to manage the stairs. We do acknowledge that there are still improvements to be made within the hotel and I assure you that all these areas will be addressed in the coming months.

I do hope that you will consider returning to us and if you wish to discuss further, please contact me directly on gm.grosvenor@richardsonhotels.co.uk.

Kind Regards.

Reviewed 29 May 2014

We only had 1 night at the Grosvenor but have to say the whole experience was perfect right from the start at reception the staff were very friendly and helpful and you felt at home straight away, nothing was too much trouble and they had a knack of answering all questions before you had even asked very impressed. Our room was a Premium family room and Premium it was, it was a large grand room with high ceilings a double bed and a single, a settee and 2 chairs also a dressing table and plenty of wardrobe space the beds were very comfortable and it was decadently decorated very nice. The bathroom was also a lovely size the room was very clean and comfortable it was a shame we only had 1 night there. Breakfast in the garden room was was plentiful and had everything you needed the staff were extremely helpful as well ,and nothing was too much trouble overall we had a very pleasant stay at the grosvenor and would certainly stay again .

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank tracyosullivan1
Ops M, General Manager at Grosvenor Hotel Torquay, responded to this reviewResponded 19 June 2014

Dear tracyosullivan1,

Thank you so much for your positive comments. I am extremely pleased that you enjoyed your stay, room and food and that the staff were so helpful & friendly. The Richardson motto is 'Where memories are made' and we do strive to always achieve this.

We hope to welcome you back very soon!

Reviewed 27 May 2014 via mobile

Having stayed here before a couple of years ago I was very happy.

Then when it has been taking over by mark I was disappointed and said I would never visit again because he had ruined the place.

Then when I heard it had been taking over again. I thought I would give it another chance and I'm glad I did.

The new people have done such a good job there are still a few more things to do.

I was happy with the stay they service was very good. I will be returning

Stayed: December 2013
1  Thank Vdubgolf

Dear Vdubgolf,

Thank you so much for taking the time to review us.

It's always great to see that guests had a nice time and that you noticed the improvements that are being made - which are on-going.

We look forward to welcoming you back again.

Reviewed 25 May 2014

Stayed for 2 nights and from the start we were made welcome, the receptionist was very welcoming and helpful. Our room was lovely and comfortable with a lovely bathroom, we had an evening meal,3 courses for 12 pounds and it was lovely, breakfast was fantastic ,with cereals fruit ,toast and a full English and again the staff were excellent and attentive ,really enjoyed our stay

Room Tip: We had a low room ,number 7 it had a view of the carpal ,but on a plus it got the sun all day, and...
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear vangiemac,

Thank you so much for taking the time to review us.

It's always great to see that guests have had a nice time!

I do hope you will be visiting us again soon as we will look forward to welcoming you back here.

Reviewed 21 May 2014

Upon arriving at the hotel it looked like it had seen better days, but once we got in the staff were very friendly and very helpful, in fact all the staff there are very friendly and helpful. We really enjoyed our stay there the food was really good and the room very clean. The Hotel still needs a lot of TLC but it didnt stop us enjoying our stay there, would recommend this hotel and its great value for money. The only problem we had was the shower in the bathroom it was attached to the bath taps and the flow wasnt too good and the water was either running very cold or very hot, that being said I would still go and stay there again

Room Tip: Choose a room with a lower number i.e. 1-3 are very good rooms
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear 777mitch,

Thank you so much for taking the time to review us.

I do appreciate you comments and am so pleased to read that you have a good time whilst staying here.

The hotel is still awaiting further improvements which will take place in the near future. We he already renovated all of our guest bedrooms and will be focussing out our public areas next.

I hope you will consider returning to us and we all look forward to welcoming you back very soon.

Reviewed 20 May 2014

We (a dozen or so sea fishing enthusiasts from London) have been staying here twice a year for a long weekend for a few years now and love the place. We get a good rate for a large group booking made months in advance and pay £50 - £60 pp for Fri/Sat 2 nights in May and September which is fantastic vfm. The hotel is constantly improving its facilities and accommodation and the rooms have just undergone another upgrade and redecoration. The breakfast is very good with a wide range of unlimited cereals, fruits, dairy produce, toast and preserves, juices and tea and coffee as well as a hearty cooked breakfast. The management and staff are very friendly and helpful and they help create a very relaxed and comfortable atmosphere. The bar and ballrooms are usually quite lively at weekends with weddings and other functions being held there and we have enjoyed some very good evenings at The Grosvenor. All our rooms are well furnished, spotlessly clean and spacious with en-suite, TV, tea/coffee facilities and WiFi and are situated far enough away from the bar and ballrooms to ensure that a noise free and peaceful sleep is enjoyed by all and I am finding it hard to pick fault with the place. I've never seen the TV show but, from what I have heard, it paints it as a quirky, disorganised establishment striving to survive. Quirky it is (in all the best possible ways), disorganised it isn't (it is very well run and we have never seen fit to complain about any issue) and I hope it will outlive me because I don't think I would continue going on these fishing trips if we were not staying there (or eating at the best fish bistro in the UK that is Number 7 - an absolute must if you visit Torquay). Phone/Email direct (rather than use comparison sites) to get the best rates and enjoy your stay. Thoroughly recommended.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends

Dear ianjjoyner j,

Thank you so much for you lovely comments!

We are all so pleased that you continue to enjoy your stay time after time and It's always great to welcome back repeat guests.

We will again look forward to welcoming you and your group back very very soon.

Kind Regards from all the team.

Reviewed 19 May 2014

I visited the Grosvenor in 2012 and my review wasn't great reading.
This trip was organised by the same group and i must admit I was cautious about using the Grosvenor again. However, I was pleased to hear that the hotel had been taken over since my last trip and investment had been made. I was therefore hopeful of improvement.

Upon arrival, as per my previous visit, the staff were very welcoming and helpful. We were escorted to our room and walking through the same halls and staircases it was apparent that significant cleaning and freshening up had taken place. The place felt so much brighter.

On entering our room (No.27) I was pleasantly surprised to see the room had received a good makeover, nicely decorated with coordinating furniture and new carpet. So far so good. Then the Bathroom! Oh no! Although clean it was still a pink 1970's theme that greeted me. The taps had seen better days and the shower was still one of those type connected to the taps with a poor flow rate. Having said that the bathroom was functional and adequate for my purposes.

The restaurant areas have also received investment and provide a more pleasant place to eat and so has the verander with new rattan furniture (a very pleasant place for a drink).

Outside the garden and pool area have significantly improved and although I didn't have a chance to use it the pool looked very inviting given it was a hot weekend.

Staffing at the hotel could be improved (in terms of numbers) but I must say to their credit all the staff were helpful, curtious and always with a smile on their faces although they did appear to be constantly rushing around like the proverbial 'Headless Chicken'

Overall, the investment into the hotel has improved things but from such a low starting base that wouldn't have been difficult. They are certainly trying to make the Grosvenor a place people would like to stay and given the fact that the hotel was full for the weekend then it is working.

I hope for their sake the investment continues and they complete all the work and fully upgrade things sooner rather than later. I wouldn't say they have simply 'Smoothed over the Cracks' as that would be an injustice to the efforts made so far but they still have a long way to go to make this a superb venue.

Well Done Grosvenor on the Upgrades So Far.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Liam L

Dear Liam L,

Thank you so much for your positive & constructive comments.

We have worked extremely hard to get where we are and do acknowledge that we still have things to do, but are confident that we can provide a fabulous holiday for all of our guests.

We have added since to our staffing numbers and will monitor this according to the business to ensure the best service for our guests.

We do hope to see you again soon.