“Quite disappointing!”

Grosvenor Hotel Torquay
Ranked #19 of 86 Hotels in Torquay
Reviewed 13 July 2014

Booked in for 3 nights June 27th. Room was very spacious and well furnished but spoiled by large brown watermarks on ceiling. Bathroom was not clean and had an unpleasant smell-complained twice- took 2 days and the manageress to sort it. Towels very white and fluffy but minus a bathmat on first day. Breakfast was a disaster on the first morning. I had to search other tables for napkins, spoons and sugar. Although plentiful breakfast was barely warm and toast was non-existent until I went to ask for it. We were offered a free breakfast but had already been asked to settle the bill on arrival!!! Many areas of the hotel appeared tired and used as storage space, oblivious of guests. No indication, either displayed or verbal, that hotel accepted dogs- already booked in when discovery made. Staff not professional-needs much work in this area.

Room Tip: No lift to upper floors.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
Lucy P, General Manager at Grosvenor Hotel Torquay, responded to this reviewResponded 31 July 2014

Dear Jean E,

Thank you for taking the time to review us.

I am sorry to see that you did not enjoy your time with us. With regards to the marks on the ceiling, we are aware of these and we do have a plan in place for all pending works and painting to be carried out. Unfortunately, I was unaware of any smell in your bathroom and must apologise for this as we clean and check all areas on a daily basis.

The bathmat that you requested is the rubber non-slip mat that goes into the bath and as standard we do not have these in guests rooms for hygiene purposes, but when you did request this, we did endeavour the provide you with one as soon as we could.

As you can appreciate, The Grosvenor is an old building and we are working hard to update and modernise is as much as we can, but unfortunately, things like this take time, but please do be assured that we are constantly carrying out various works to brighten up the hotel without losing any of its charm and character.

I can only apologise for your poor breakfast service. We have now placed additional toasters out in the breakfast room for guests to prepare their own toast should they require it, although we do also prepare a tray for you in our kitchen. Staff organisation has now been addressed and all team members have now al been allocated certain tasks and tables to take care of to reduce the confusion.

I'm sorry that you weren't made aware that we accept dogs. We understand that a dog is part of the family and so welcome our furry four legged friends to join their owners on the holiday and we provide a welcome pack in rooms for all our canine guests which include a blanket, a ball and some doggie treats as well as a sign for the door to inform our staff that there is a dog occupying that room.

I do hope that you would consider returning to visit us again and I would be happy to take care of your booking personally.

For any further information, please contact me directly on gm.grosvenor@richardsonhotels.co.uk.

Lucy & the team

Reviewed 11 July 2014

My 90 year old mother and I stayed at The Grosvenor for 6 nights and were treated like royalty. Our room which overlooked the gardens and outdoor pool was enormous and of 5 star quality. I can't praise the breakfast enough - I ate so much fresh fruit and great Greek yoghurt each day and actually craved it once I go home.All of the staff were friendly and attentive and couldn't have been any more helpful. The actual location was perfect for the local beach, barely 100 metres away. I spoke with Lucy the manager before we left and told her how impressed we had been with our room, Lucy explained that all of the rooms had recently been refurbished to the same standard and other areas of the hotel were due to be refurbished too. Based on our stay I recommended the hotel to my daughter and her children and they have booked in for a week in August.

Room Tip: Room 2 overlooks the pool and you can park your car under your room window too.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank PomOnTour2

Dear PomOnTour2,

Thank you so much for taking the time to write about your stay with us.

I am so pleased that you enjoyed your time with us. We have worked hard to ensure that all areas of a guest's stay are as fantastic as possible and understand that as breakfast is the most important meal of the day, so work extremely hard sourcing and offering the best quality ingredients that we can.

We look forward to welcoming your daughter and her children and also hope to see you return to us very soon.

Lucy & the team.

Reviewed 10 July 2014

Booked in for 1 night, went for a family 2 bedroom room,but couldn't get in as the previous occupant refused to leave. Came back 3 hours later,to be told the guest had only just left,the room was a mess and cleaners had gone home for the day. Totally understood the problem they had with the guest, and the hotel gave us 2 rooms instead, ours had a lovely view and was next door to the room we had on our last visit.
We decided to have our evening meal on the terrace. We ordered 3 ploughman's, as we had had one on our previous visit and they had been great. This was when things went down hill a bit. They arrived with no butter and no onions. First ploughman's I've ever had without onions. We asked the waitress for butter as at this point we hadn't noticed the missing onions.Fifteen minutes later, still no butter, so we asked again. Finally it arrived. Not complaining about the food as it tasted great
and was very fresh,just poor service.
Indoor and outdoor pool were great,gyms also,as were the reception staff and bar staff .evening singer was a bit roapy but you just have to see the funny side.
On to breakfast and it was slightly chaotic,but the food was good and plentiful.After talking to the waitress , she told us that most the staff were new and a new manager was in place.
On our previous visits the one thing that stood out were the staff,all called you sir/madam,and all were very polite and professional.This was what made the hotel stand out from the rest and more than made up for tatty bits that are still to be done at the hotel.
,Unfortunately standards seem to have slipped,and the staff seem rushed off there feet,that very professional touch ,that made you feel you were in a much higher starred hotel,seems to have gone.
Overall still an enjoyable stay,and hopefully the staff can be trained up to the previous high standards.

Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
Lucy P, General Manager at Grosvenor Hotel Torquay, responded to this reviewResponded 11 July 2014

Dear Traceynpaul2014,

Thank you for taking the time to review us. I'm extremely sorry to see that we were not up to the previous standard that you experienced. I do remember the issue with your room and am extremely sorry that you were inconvenienced in the first instance. I'm glad that you liked your rooms that you were later given.

We have a predominantly new F& B team in the hotel, and we are in the process of developing all our new members. Of course, you should not have to wait for items like butter and I thank you for bringing this to my attention as I will ensure that we immediately get back down to basics with our training

We had already recognised that there was some confusion at breakfast and these issues have now been resolved with staff now allocated specific tasks to take care of. I must sincerely apologise for the experience that you had whilst staying with us.

We have been working extremely hard to upgrade and renovate all areas of the hotel and having now completed almost all of the guest bedrooms, we are now concentrating on a plan to look at the public areas of the hotel. As you can appreciate, this is a work in progress and unfortunately takes time.

Once again, I am very sorry that you were slightly disappointed with your stay and I do hope that you will return to us again very soon to enable us to show you how we have improved already.

If you wish to contact me directly, you can do on gm.grosvenor@richardsonhotels.co.uk.

Kind Regards
Lucy & the Grosvenor team.

Reviewed 8 July 2014

We only had a short stay at this hotel but we were in and out all the time during our one night break. The staff recognised us and engaged in conversation, we excellent with our son and even the Manager made a special effort with is on several occasions. Think her name was Lucy? Didn't realise she was the manager at first as she was so accommodating and down to earth, very hands on and seemed to be doing every role herself then we realised she was leading by example and chivvying the staff along to follow her example. We are in the diner and the food was fab. Breakfast was well organised and staffed brilliantly. All in all a wonderful time had by all. Hotel just needs a bit of a sparkle to cheer up the slightly dated decor but it's kept well by housekeeping staff. Planning return trip very soon!

• Stayed: June 2014
1  Thank whittylass
Lucy P, General Manager at Grosvenor Hotel Torquay, responded to this reviewResponded 10 July 2014

Dear whittylass,

Thank you so much for taking the time to review us. It was lovely to meet you & your little family on your visit. I'm extremely happy to see that the standards of the food and housekeeping were as expected.

We know that breakfast is the most important meal of the day and so over the last 2 months, we have changed various areas such as the layout and service to try to improve the experience for our guests and it's good to see that it's making a difference.

Keith's Diner has also been open for a relatively short period of time and we offer all home cooked, hearty food for all the family to enjoy and I am pleased that you have a great experience there.

We are constantly renovating and improving parts of our hotel and have now completed almost all of the guest rooms with pubic areas on our plan for the coming months.

Thank you once again for your review and we all hope to see you staying with us again very soon.

Lucy & the team.

Reviewed 7 July 2014

Stopped over with my family as we were visiting friends in the area. Fantastic reception with the receptionist but then soon found out it was the manager. She was fantastic and very accommodating. Decoration was very tired and carpets were run down! Breakfast staff were fantastic and I can't remember his name but he was very very caring and called me 'sir' which was lovely! Responded to my needs lightening fast reactions!! Would deffo stay again despite old decoration!! Great stay!!!

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Andy W

Dear Andy W,

Thank you so much for taking the time to review your stay with us. I was extremely pleased to see that you enjoyed your time with us and that the breakfast service was of a good standard.

The Richardson Group took over The Grosvenor 20 months ago and has since been tirelessly renovating areas of the hotel. We have now almost completed all guest rooms and have a plan in place to complete the pubic areas on the coming months.

I do hope that you will be visiting us again very soon.

Lucy & the team

Reviewed 6 July 2014

We arrived at the Grosvenor Hotel.On Friday the 4th, July.Great Welcombe from Rachel and staff.so nice to see them all again.Rachel carried our bags to room 43.the room was lovely, sea views.the food is excellent.and the staff our so helpfull, Lucy, Rachel, Elaine and sid, on reception.and Adam, Tom, Magic, and Yasmine on Breakfast and Restaurant. Jason and Rob on bar.such a wonderfull friendly Hotel . can't waite for our return in March next year.its so close to the sea front.and on a good bus route.thank you every one at the Hotel for making our stay so wonderfull.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank pam v
Lucy P, General Manager at Grosvenor Hotel Torquay, responded to this reviewResponded 7 July 2014

Dear pam v,

Thank you so much for your wonderful comments. It's always lovely to welcome you back and have you stay with us. We cannot wait to see you back here again very soon!

Kind regards from all of the team!

Reviewed 3 July 2014

What a lovely couple of days stay we had at the Grosvenor. We came to stay as a treat to celebrate my 40th birthday and a treat it was. We couldn't of asked for a nicer room, and would request that room again when we visit again. The staff were all so friendly and charming. We chose this hotel as we loved watching the programme on tv and always said we would love to stay there. Thank you to the staff for making us feel so welcome.

Room Tip: We didn't use the spa.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank SandN94
Lucy P, General Manager at Grosvenor Hotel Torquay, responded to this reviewResponded 4 July 2014

Dear SandN94,

Thank you so much for taking the time to leave us such a lovely review. I am so pleased that you enjoyed your stay with us!

I do hope we will be welcoming you back in the very near further.

Kind Regards from all of us.