“Not bad but try shopping around”

Grosvenor Hotel Torquay
Ranked #20 of 85 Hotels in Torquay
Reviewed 26 August 2014

I will try to be constructive as I could.

Finding the hotel was rather easy, it is along the street and very obvious. Car parking can be limited although we were fortunate to find "the only one" whenever we arrived. Car parking was free.
We were greeted by the reception staff, it was Elaine. She was lovely and always put a smile. Amazingly she remembered my name and I always happy to hear a hotel staff who knows me by name. Elaine was always helpful, eager to help and full of energy. Amazing service - commendable.
The hotel is family friendly - a room for the kids with TV near the reception. There is also a playground and an outdoor swimming pool. We only used the indoor heated pool as the weather was a little cold.

The indoor pool was small - a L shaped pool and a separate hot tub. Towels were provided but I had to asked from the reception, there were no towels in the gym or by the pool side. There were 3 families in the pool and I reckon it was full - you can have a "feel" of the pool size. One point to make is the indoor pool was 1.4m deep throughout, no shallow end. It was not child friendly so adult supervision is a must. The hot tub although functioning, it did not look inviting - the water looks dirty to me, although I did saw a couple using it.

There was a sauna but despite talking to the staff to turn it ON but it was still not working. Quite a disappointment.

The gym was small however the treadmill was not working at t hat time - there was as sign indicating it was out of order.

There was no WIFI in the room but only at the lobby. Quite a disappointment but this was clearly stated - just a note for all. The WIFI speed was good.

We booked a family room, it came with a double bed, single bed and a sofa bed. The room was good size. Of all of the days, the number of towels were always 2 - it was a family room??? But you can always asked for more towels. Ther room was clean and okay for us. The shower gel dispenser was not working - maybe already broken? We needed to request for more shower gel again from reception.

One thing which annoyed me most was the breakfast. The second day of our stay, the food was rationed out. I asked for 2 eggs but was only told I could only have 1 !!!! How much is an egg? Or how long does it take to fried an egg? if the hotel was concerned of food depleted quickly - just poor plannnig. Of the 4 days there, the toasters seemed to be problematic - always shifting around to get it working. The single toaster was slow and often a queue. My honest opinion is breakfast is important for me and a start of the day. The breakfast experience was not great and I did not enjoy it. I would go for without breakast option given a choice and go for MacDonalds. At least I know what I am getting.

There are many reviews mentioning that the hotel decor is old and in need of renovation - this is true. The stair well ceiling was leaking during raining. It is an old building, kind of victorian/edwardian design if I would guess. For me, it is average and rather okay for us to stay.

The gutter in Room 24 did nto seem to work. The rain water was running over the gutter and dripping on the window sill - noisy the whole night.

The important question is: Will we stay in that hotel again? Probably not, I will shop around for best deals.

Room Tip: we were in a room facing the main street - it was noisy - from traffic and people finishing their dr...
1  Thank Jimmy Y
Lucy P, General Manager at Grosvenor Hotel Torquay, responded to this reviewResponded 30 August 2014

Dear Jimmy Y,

Thank you very much for taking the time to give feedback about your recent stay with us.

It's lovely to get great comments about staff members are these are always passed onto the team. Elaine is one of the most long serving and valued members of the team and we always get great feedback about her, so I will of course pass on your commendation.

Concerning the swimming pool, the indoor pool is a small L shaped and as you correctly mentioned it does not have a shallow end and is a standard 1.4 metres throughout. We do not allow children under 14 years old in this pool without adult supervision and that is why we have a coded door on the entrance to ensure that children cannot enter it alone. Our outdoor pool does have a shallow end and is always manned by a lifeguard. Our leisure facilities are checked and cleaned daily by a Duty Manager and housekeeping and all our pools and hot tubs are cleaned and chlorinated according to national health & safety regulations and standards, so I fully assure you that all areas are clean and safe.

I am sorry that our treadmill was out of order. We are still awaiting a part for the running belt and are aware that this is taking time. The sauna should have been turned on and I have already addressed this point with our maintenance and front office team.

We also had a problem with our larger toaster and were using standard 4 slice toasters instead and I do know that these take a lot longer. We certainly do not ration out our food and I am extremely sorry to see that you were told you could only have 1 egg when this is certainly not the case and I am genuinely sorry that you did not enjoy it.

We are still in the process of modernising and updating areas of the hotel and are at the moment completing the reception area. We have almost completed all of our guests rooms and do hope that you will return to us to see the improvements that we are making.

If you want to contact me for any further information, please do so directly on gm.grosvenor@richardsonhotels.co.uk

Reviewed 24 August 2014

we booked the hotel for one night as a last resort as our usual hotel was booked up. we thought the pictures on the website were very misleading, and it didn't look anything like wed seen.

breakfast was very poor. there was only one toaster, and it wasn't even working properly. there was three people in front of me in the queue, and their toast was coming out still as bread. after about ten minutes of waiting, I left and went to eat my breakfast. I asked a waiter if we could have some toast as we weren't going to get it from that toaster. he said he would get us some, but in the end I went and got it myself. when I got back, they had fixed the toaster and I finally got to eat it.

the room was abit too small for us, but the bathroom was abit more modern.

the swimming pool was made to look much bigger in the pictures, and turned out to be very small. as a keen swimmer, I could hardly swim anywhere.

a good point to the stay was the staff were very friendly, and they helped us with our luggage, and were very helpful in getting things sorted.

we have now decided to book our usual hotel in advance because we wouldn't come back.

2  Thank andrea m

Dear andrea m,

I'm sorry to see that you did not enjoy your stay with us. For the size of the hotel we are, guests are always surprised that we have such big leisure facilities. Our indoor pool is an L shape measuring 10m x 7m x 4m, and our outdoor pool is 16m x 6m

I'm sorry that you had a rather long wait for your toast during breakfast. Unfortunately, our larger toaster was out of order during your stay and so we did have to use 2 standard 4 slice toasters instead which do take longer. I am extremely sorry that your request for toast from a waiter was forgotten and I assure you I have spoken with all the F&B team about this.

All of our rooms have different character and are of different size, so I apologise if your room was smaller than you expectation.

If you would like me to give me any further details about your stay or advise me on your reservation to enable me to look at your booking, please feel free to contact me directly on gm.grosvenor@richardsonhotels.co.uk.

We do hope you will consider returning to us.

Reviewed 18 August 2014

Having watched the television programme a few years ago I really wasn't expecting very much. My husband and I stayed here for a night towards the end of July. Upon arrival the car park was full out front so we wasn't sure where to park. Found some where to put the car temporarily. Then Made our way into reception, where we was greeted by a lovely lady. She was very polite, informative and very professional. She instantly told us there was 2 other car parks and clearly explained where they were located. We were very impressed. She gave us directions to our room and where breakfast was being served in the morning.
Hotel has had work done so it is looking better than it did on TV! Our room was lovely. Considering it was the cheapest room and we booked with quite short notice we were very impressed. The room was huge with everything you could need. There was a lovely sea view and gorgeous view of the bowls club too. The bathroom was lovely and big too. Very clean.
Breakfast was nice however I felt the menu didn't have much choice on it really. As it is mainly a family hotel, there was quite a few families at breakfast time.
The location was perfect with a very short 5 -10 minute walk tops to the sea and beach. Town was only a 15 minute walk if that. Great hotel.

Room Tip: Sea view is a must.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Alison N

Dear Alison N,

Thank you so much for your lovely review of your stay with us.

We always try to ensure that we individually take care of every one of our guests and pride ourselves on having a warm and friendly team of staff.

I'm pleased to tell you that we have now added a new Executive Head Chef to our team who is looking at all areas of our food offerings, so there will be even more variety next time you visit!

We all look forward to welcoming you back very soon.

Reviewed 9 August 2014

Parking is very limited. The hotel entrance is at the back of the building with a very basic, depressing reception area. The room was a good size and clean. The dining room is at the front of the hotel and is in dire need of refurbishment. A maze of corridors where rooms have been added on over time which could all be updated.

• Stayed: July 2014
1  Thank Bangoraye
Lucy P, General Manager at Grosvenor Hotel Torquay, responded to this reviewResponded 14 August 2014

Dear Bangoraye,

Thank you so much for taking the time to review us.

Although we do have limited car parking, we do have 3 separate areas for guests to park in - in front of the hotel, at the side by Keith's Diner and also at the back next to our gardens, we do have sufficient spaces for 1 car per guest room.

We do acknowledge that the reception area was looking a little 'tired' at is currently in the process of being redecorated. As you can appreciate, the hotel is an old building and part of the charm is the winding corridors, although we do ensure that there is adequate signage so that guests and staff alike are able to navigate themselves around the building easily. All of the guest rooms we have are existing and none have been added on, although the hotel is 2 buildings that were connected together where our current lounge and reception area is in the 1940's.

We are aiming to update and modernise all areas of the hotel, but as you can appreciate, this does take time.

I do hope that you will consider returning to us and we look forward to welcoming you back.

If you require any further information, please contact me directly on gm.grosvenorhotels.co.uk.

Reviewed 8 August 2014

My husband and I booked a last minute 5 night break in Torquay, and from reading the reviews, decided on the Grosvenor hotel. It was advertised as pet friendly, and we wanted somewhere to stay where we could take our 2 miniature dachshunds. When we enquired re availability over the telephone, the hotel was very full but the receptionist, Leanne was very helpful and she took the trouble to make sure a room was available for the dates we required.
On arrival both receptionists were very helpful and friendly, and in our room was a doggy welcome pack - two little blankets and two tennis balls!. Although the room was small - we were perfectly happy with it - very clean -the bathroom was spotless!In fact -ladies, no need to worry about a hair-dryer -( I always take a travel hair dryer with me as those in hotels are often pathetic, they hardly blow dry at all) as the hair-dryer in our room was brilliant -my travel hair-dryer didnt see the light of day!There was a fan provided too.
We stayed B & B and the breakfasts were great - and the staff very efficient. There was a central table of fruit juice, speciality teas, fruit, cereals, croissants where you would help yourself and the staff would then take your order at the table for the cooked breakfasts which were lovely -not greasy and very quick service!
The outdoor pool is manned by a lifeguard and next to well maintained lawn set with tables and chairs if the pools not for you. The hotel also has a small gym, indoor pool and jacuzzi which we tried on the Friday -the one day it rained! We left the dogs in the room - no bother and I think they were glad of the rest from walking!!
The hotel provided evening entertainment too -but thats not our sort of holiday - we prefer to try cafes/wine bars/pubs/restaurants in the local areas we stay at. The hotel was superbly situated for this - a short stroll into Torquay -the marina and cafe culture-lovely!.Hotel was a 10 minute drive to a lovely picturesque village, Cockington - you must visit the Rose cottage tea rooms - we spent a lovely hour or so there- having a cream tea- in the sunshine listening to the resident pianist. The cottages are thatched and quaint and just further up the lane is the pub - The Drum Inn where we ate too - recommend the James Martin pies!
A visit to Dartmouth is a must - the car on the ferry is £8.50 return - worth it as the ferry saves a long drive around.If you have kids -take them crabbing there - you can buy a kit there for about £5.00 and the kids we saw were loving sitting catching the crabs!!
Also if you are OK for walking - try Anstey cove - you can take dogs there - a steep slope to the cafe down near the cove but the views are stunning and its away from the hustle and bustle.
The hotel has had bad reviews in the past but is under new management. The staff are all new and determined to make your holiday special -nothing is too much trouble. They are upgrading the hotel - it does take time to do this but nevertheless,we have no hesitation in recommending the hotel. Yes -you always have those people who go around looking for the bad points but if you want a good clean hotel with friendly staff who are trying hard to turn around those bad reviews, try this hotel!
We loved this short trip and will certainly return and would book again at the Grosvenor Hotel.

Room Tip: Rooms that overlook the road are noisier if you have the windows open nnd if you have trouble sleep...
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Sue C

Dear Sue C,

Thank you so much for taking the time to review your recent stay with us. I am very pleased to see that you enjoyed your time - as did your four legged friends. We understand that dogs are a part of the family, so we do endeavour to make them, as well as yourselves feel as comfortable and as at home as possible.

We pride ourselves on providing a hearty traditional west country breakfast to start your day and make sure that the service is also always up to scratch.

Our leisure facilities including gym, sauna, jacuzzi, indoor and outdoor pool and gardens are always a lovely surprise for our guests who did not know they were here and we work extremely hard to ensure that all these areas are well maintained, clean and safe for all our our guests - young and old.

I am so glad that you enjoyed your time with us and we hope to see you all returning to us again in the very near future.

Reviewed 5 August 2014

Just spent a week at the Grosvenor hotel , on arrival the reception area was dirty. This was our holiday away with our grandchildren so we picked this hotel as it had a swimming pool and looked family friendly. We had a nice large family room the beds were made every day and clean towels if needed, also tea and coffee facilities available. the only problem with the room was that it was very hot and sticky so we asked for a fan three days running but it never appeared.
Breakfast was ok, however the evening meals left a lot to be desired the first few nights the food and service was dire with over 1 hours wait with two very hungry grandchildren, when we complained about this they blamed the chef. this didn't get much better as the week progressed as the had to bring our food up two flights of stairs through reception and the bar area in to the braserie to our table by which time it was congealed and not very warm.
the choice of food was limited we had chicken 5 nights out of 7. on the last night at 6.45 they had run out of Lamb, the service didn't start until 6.30.
The dining area wasn't very clean there were two peas under our table all week going mouldy and dead plants and leaves on the window sill next to our table.
on our last day it rained all day and the roof started leaking in outside our bedroom door soaking the carpet through until a bucket was found to catch the drips.
We were very disappointed with this hotel and will not be returning in the future or advicing anyone to go there.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
5  Thank Linda B

Dear Linda B,

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay with us. I am sorry to see that we did not live up to your expectations. I am pleased that you liked your room. This was an area that we began refurbishing immediately when the Richardson Group took over the management of this hotel some 2 years ago. At the time of your stay we were experiencing some very hot and sticky weather and unfortunately, we did not have sufficient fans to provide all the rooms. This point has been taken on board and we have sourced additional fans to ensure all guests are comfortable in all temperatures.

I am pleased that you enjoyed our breakfast service and selection. We were having an issue with kitchen operation during our dinner services, but I do assure you that this incident was a one off and this has also been rectified. Meals are prepared in our lower kitchen and we do cover all our meals with a cloche to ensure heat retention whilst transporting to the brasserie area and also ensure good health and hygiene practices at all times. We make an effort to change the dinner menu offering daily and each menu is individually written by our head chef who always creates a choice of 3 appetizers, 4 main courses and 4 desserts. The main courses offered always include a steak, a fish and a vegetarian option as well as fourth item that the chef offers at his discretion, so I was disappointed to see that you had to eat chicken for 5 of your evenings dining with us. The lamb that ran out after 45 minutes is totally unacceptable and I have spoken with the kitchen regarding this as this of course cannot happen this early on during a dinner service, so I must apologise for this.

Concerning the leaking roof, we are aware that we do have an area that leaks and as I type this response, it is in hand and being repaired so that we will not experience any further leaks from our roof. As you can appreciate, the Grosvenor Hotel building is a very old one and we are daily working to maintain and improve it.

Once again, I thank you for your feedback and I assure you that I take all guests comments on board to learn from and strive to improve every visitors experience.

I do hope that you will consider returning to us and would be happy to arrange your future reservations. If you need any further information, please contact me directly on gm.grosvenor@richardsonhotels.co.uk

Lucy Price

Reviewed 4 August 2014

another great stay here, only one night wish it had been longer, nothing is to much trouble, fantastic rooms, 2 bedroom rooms are beautiful, you can see where improvements are being made, slept very well :-), bathroom is fab, choice of a shower or full bath, this room is absolutely lovely, couldnt fault it, sea view, room 32 really nice. we had lunch which was very nice, cant fault breakfast,lots of choice. Outdoor pool is brilliant,also has a bar where you can order food and drinks,hot and cold, beautiful gardens. All the staff are great, very friendly. Lucy does a fab job x.
p.s Elaine is still there and lovely as always x

Dear fingerbob1973,

Thank you so much for taking the time to review your 2nd stay with us. I am so pleased that you enjoyed your time and that you can still see that we are continuously updating and upgrading all areas of the hotel.

Your comments about the lovely staff are also greatly appreciated and I will pass on your comments to Elaine!

We look forward to welcoming you back again very soon.