“The Staff and the Meals take this Hotel above average”

and 1 more site!
Livermead House Hotel
Ranked #44 of 86 Hotels in Torquay
Reviewed 28 June 2011

Stayed at the Livermead House Hotel for three nights whilst attending a conference in Torquay. Big car park with ample parking, which is always welcome. Check in was easy and the receptionist friendly and helpful.

Points on which the hotel could improve: The one lift didn't service the part of the hotel I was allocated a room in, which meant taking the suitcase and other luggage up various tiers of stairs. The room was a good size with twin beds, however the beds are not too far off the ground, and could do with replacing - matresses are somewhat soft. Lampshades had also seen better days, and one wall light above the dressing table area did not work.
Windows were of the wooden sash variety, rattled in the high wind of the first night, and were draughty - New windows would be a good idea!
Bathroom had a bath and shower, The bath was chipped, and the heated towel rail (which was always red hot), was so close to the sink that I burned my arm a couple of times. Some black mold in the shower area also detracted.
The TV in the room was of the 14" CRT variety, and 'buzzed' so much that it was difficult to listen to. However, when reported late afternoon, this was sorted by early afternoon next day.

The good points: Excellent service from friendly, helpfull, happy staff. The quality, variety and cost of the food - better than most of the hotels I've stayed in in the UK. Hotel was also spotlessly clean.

Overall: A pleasant stay, excellent food, good staff, Hotel though is a little dated in its decor - but boutique chic would probably not fit with the building and its character. However, flat screen TVs and new windows would help bring the hotel up to date, and the latter add to room comfort, as would new beds. Wi-Fi in bedrooms would help too.

Room Tip: A room looking towards pool, or sea.
  • Stayed: June 2011, travelled on business

Reviewed 23 June 2011

From the moment we met the coach with our excellent driver John, all 1st class the Holiday began , we were greeted on arrival by Mrs Rew & staff and had tea or coffee with homemade biscuits while our cases were taken to our rooms, which were lovely ,The elegant candlelit restaurant can only be described as outstanding and one of the best we have ever been to. Its ambience with grand piano playing Cole Porter ,The service and food were sensational, Before leaving we have rebooked again.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled with friends
1  Thank Jamesey89
Reviewed 17 June 2011

From the moment we walked in nothing was to much trouble,the room was comfortable and very clean. The staff were all so kind and helpful and made you feel special,the service and food was extremely good I would definitely recommend it. There is a lovely lounge and bar area with entertainment and dancing in the evening a top class hotel.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Barbara19470901
Reviewed 13 June 2011

I took my elderly but young of mind parents for a midweek break at this wonderful hotel. It was perfectly located on the seafront , a short walk/bus ride from the Theatre/Town.

This hotel is amazing! The staff are extremely friendly and helpful, and beautifully 'turned out' in their black and white suits with fresh buttonholes, the owners being very attentive at mealtimes, sporting 'tails' and carnations. It was so nice to encounter the manners and ambience of such an hotel, we shall be returning and I have been recommending it highly to everyone as a wonderful experience. Please don't ever change! Your country needs YOU!

Room Tip: Go Sea Views and Dinner Bed & Breakfast
  • Stayed: June 2011, travelled with family
2  Thank colrobhinwood
Reviewed 18 May 2011

I was given a competitive rate by booking on the internet. On arrival, I checked in and went to my room which was clean but very dated. What I didn't realise is that it was meant to be dated (I think) and represented 1950s "seaside chic" - patterned carpets, pink suite, etc. The Dining Room is a contrast - this is 1910s, complete with waiting staff in dinner jackets and the hotel owner in a tails suit, white tie and carnation (great that he was fully involved and clearly leads from the front). Service was fast (a bit too fast) and the food mostly good (I had bones in my fish and I didn't feel that extra vegetables should be added to the plate as it spoiled the presentation which was fine). Puddings were served from a side table and were good.

When I visited, the average age of guests seemed to be 70+ and they all seemed well satisfied with both food and service from what I could see. Breakfast was served in the same Edwardian Dining Room and was well prepared and presented. The 1950s style of the hotel was now in evidence as the paino player at dinner was replaced by the Everly Brothers Greatest Hits - no objection from me there, even though I have an aversion to muzack.

Overall, I didn't think I would enjoy my stay at the Livermead House but ended up loving everything about it. All the staff seemed happy and willing and I think the management here is top rate. Give it a try.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled on business
1  Thank MisterCollins
Reviewed 16 May 2011

Superbly presented and appointed hotel in prime seafront location. The rooms are very comfortable and spotlesly clean. The highlight for me was Dinner in the beautiful restaurant, complete with pianist which helped make for a most enjoyable atmosphere. The food was well presented and cooked in a traditional 'home cooking' style. the choice of desserts was colossal and so mouthwatering! The service throughout was superb from courteous and obviously well trained staff.

Breakfast was also very well presented with Full English cooked to order and arriving hot, so unlike many pre-cooked breakfasts in hotels these days.

Overall a highly recommended hotel which I have used for business in the past and am continuing to use without hesitation.

Room Tip: Upgrading to sea view and /or Superior recommende.
  • Stayed: May 2011, travelled on business
3  Thank MerlinEvents
Reviewed 9 May 2011

We held our old school reunion over the weekend. The hotel was comfortable with splendid views over Torbay. The food was excellent and the staff both curtious and helpful. There was plenty of car parking space.

• Stayed: May 2011