“Didn't even make it to the hotel!”

and 1 more site!
Livermead House Hotel
Ranked #49 of 87 Hotels in Torquay
Hampshire, U.K.
“Didn't even make it to the hotel!”
Reviewed 5 August 2011

We were supposed to stay at the Livermead hotel for 2 nights during the May bank holiday. I had booked the hotel a week before, and I had checked that the terms and conditions authorised babies under 2 to stay for free in the room and they would provide a cot.
3 days before the trip, I emailed the hotel to check there would be a cot available. I can understand that hotels do not have many cots and they usually are subject to availability, however I was quite happy to take my own travel cot along.
The hotel then replied to me that the room we had booked did not have space for a cot, so we would have to upgrade to a sea view room and pay an extra £70. I replied to them that this was out of the question as it was written in the conditions of the room we had booked (not the general conditions of the hotel) that children under the age of 2 could stay free in this room in a baby cot, and they had to upgrade us with no extra charge or cancel our booking. Their reply was that they would "try to squeeze a cot in", with these exact words! I had no choice but to cancel the booking as I didn't want to arrive there and have no choice but pay an extra £70 if they hadn't manage to "squeeze it in"!
They not only mis-inform customers about their rooms, then they refuse to take responsibility for it, and to top it up try to "squeeze" more money out of you!
I did not actually go to this hotel so I cannot juge really the quality of the accomodation, but for sure I will never book a room there again.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled with family
2 Thank Jujuki

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (116)
  • Polish first
England
Reviewed 29 July 2011

We had a very nice overnight stay here. The dining room and bar were lavishly decorated which added to the atmosphere. Dinner was delicious but even though the breakfast was good, there wasn't a very good selection if you didn't want a full english. The lift was wonderfuly old, like an old movie. The rooms were alright, mine happened to have been decorated still in the seventies fashion, but it almost added to the experience! Another point was if you were at the back of the hotel the room was right next to the traintracks, a loud rumble every so often as they zoomed past. I found it to be a novelty but if I spent more then one night I might feel differently.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled with family
Swansea, United Kingdom
Reviewed 16 July 2011

We returned home about a fortnight ago from a visit to Torquay having stayed for 3 nights at this hotel.
From the moment we arrived we were extremely impressed by the high standard of service from all members of staff we dealt with.
Reception was friendly and welcoming, and immediate assistance with our luggage was available from our car to our room.
Our room, which overlooked the sea, garden and swimming pool, was clean and nicely furnished. The television was rather small and a problem with the TV reception was promptly dealt with when reported.
All our visits to the dining room were a pleasure. We were allocated a table on the first evening which was to be ours for the rest of our stay. The 4 course dinner, with a wide choice of menu, was extremely well presented and more than adequate for our requirements. Pleasant music was unobtrusively provided by the pianist, who entertained us with music from all the shows, ranging from present day to Ivor Novello's period.
We also found that the breakfasts were sumptuous, again with a wide choice. The chef provided an excellent cuisine, and all our needs were satisfied by the prompt attention from the waiters/waitresses.
We are determined to return to this superior hotel again later in the year

• Stayed June 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Roberts70
Derbyshire, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 June 2011

Stayed at the Livermead House Hotel for three nights whilst attending a conference in Torquay. Big car park with ample parking, which is always welcome. Check in was easy and the receptionist friendly and helpful.

Points on which the hotel could improve: The one lift didn't service the part of the hotel I was allocated a room in, which meant taking the suitcase and other luggage up various tiers of stairs. The room was a good size with twin beds, however the beds are not too far off the ground, and could do with replacing - matresses are somewhat soft. Lampshades had also seen better days, and one wall light above the dressing table area did not work.
Windows were of the wooden sash variety, rattled in the high wind of the first night, and were draughty - New windows would be a good idea!
Bathroom had a bath and shower, The bath was chipped, and the heated towel rail (which was always red hot), was so close to the sink that I burned my arm a couple of times. Some black mold in the shower area also detracted.
The TV in the room was of the 14" CRT variety, and 'buzzed' so much that it was difficult to listen to. However, when reported late afternoon, this was sorted by early afternoon next day.

The good points: Excellent service from friendly, helpfull, happy staff. The quality, variety and cost of the food - better than most of the hotels I've stayed in in the UK. Hotel was also spotlessly clean.

Overall: A pleasant stay, excellent food, good staff, Hotel though is a little dated in its decor - but boutique chic would probably not fit with the building and its character. However, flat screen TVs and new windows would help bring the hotel up to date, and the latter add to room comfort, as would new beds. Wi-Fi in bedrooms would help too.

Room Tip: A room looking towards pool, or sea.
  • Stayed June 2011, travelled on business
Swansea, United Kingdom
Reviewed 23 June 2011

From the moment we met the coach with our excellent driver John, all 1st class the Holiday began , we were greeted on arrival by Mrs Rew & staff and had tea or coffee with homemade biscuits while our cases were taken to our rooms, which were lovely ,The elegant candlelit restaurant can only be described as outstanding and one of the best we have ever been to. Its ambience with grand piano playing Cole Porter ,The service and food were sensational, Before leaving we have rebooked again.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled with friends
1 Thank Jamesey89
Cambridge, United Kingdom
Reviewed 17 June 2011

From the moment we walked in nothing was to much trouble,the room was comfortable and very clean. The staff were all so kind and helpful and made you feel special,the service and food was extremely good I would definitely recommend it. There is a lovely lounge and bar area with entertainment and dancing in the evening a top class hotel.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Barbara19470901
Poole, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 June 2011

I took my elderly but young of mind parents for a midweek break at this wonderful hotel. It was perfectly located on the seafront , a short walk/bus ride from the Theatre/Town.

This hotel is amazing! The staff are extremely friendly and helpful, and beautifully 'turned out' in their black and white suits with fresh buttonholes, the owners being very attentive at mealtimes, sporting 'tails' and carnations. It was so nice to encounter the manners and ambience of such an hotel, we shall be returning and I have been recommending it highly to everyone as a wonderful experience. Please don't ever change! Your country needs YOU!

Room Tip: Go Sea Views and Dinner Bed & Breakfast
  • Stayed June 2011, travelled with family