“A memorable few days”

and 1 more site!
Livermead House Hotel
Ranked #45 of 85 Hotels in Torquay
Reviewed 26 August 2011

Just returned from a 5 day/4night stay at the Livermead house where we celebrated a friend’s mother’s 90th birthday. From the minute we arrived, nothing was too much trouble. We asked that a double bed be split into twin beds and it was done within the hour. We asked to be moved to a room with a walk in shower (I had forgotten to request one when I booked the hotel!) and although there wasn’t one immediately available it was arranged that we would move into one the next day.
Throughout our stay the staff couldn’t have been more friendly, in reception, in the bar and particularly in the restaurant. The food was exceptionally good, especially the evening meal where the choice and quality were superb.
The icing on the cake was when, on the night of the ninety year old’s birthday, the pianist played happy birthday and the waitress brought in a birthday cake complete with candles (but not 90!). A lovely end to a very enjoyable day, not arranged by us but the hotel’s contribution towards the celebration.
We would happily return in the future, sooner rather than later.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled with friends
1  Thank Mel L

Reviewed 17 August 2011

TO the staff /Manager
I have stayed in hotels all over the world and must say apart from raffels in singapore the serviise and help the staff offered myself and family in the livermead hotel this weekend just the best

we will stay again as my doggy loved the beach
only one point , you need a doggy poo bin in your gounds

william

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank william n
Reviewed 14 August 2011

My wife and I booked a one night stay at the Livermead House hotel for
Saturday 6th August . On our arrival, it was clear that our booking had
not been registered by the hotel despite a written confirmation from them.
The receptionist disappeared and returned a minute or so later with a Mr Roux
who we understood later is the manager. He said that there were no rooms with
a sea view available despite the previous confirmation that our request for
such a room was confirmed. We expressed our dissatisfaction and he said he
could try two other nearby hotels to see if they had anything available. He
offered us a complimentary cup of tea as some sort of recognition of their
failure but we said we had travelled over 200 miles and would like to rest
before the evening function we had come to attend - this was to be held at the
Livermead House and we said that we obviously preferred to stay there. Mr
Roux returned later with the news that the other hotels did not have anything
suitable so we reluctantly decided to stay where we were.

We were shown up to a room which, although it had a double bed, was really
only of single bed size. We then realised that there was no kettle in the
room so we took up the offer of tea in the lounge. Mr Roux then told us that
the charge for the room would be adjusted because of the lack of a sea view.

The following morning we went to the reception desk to check out and were
presented with a bill for the original charge. My wife pointed out that there
should have been a reduction whereupon Mr Roux appeared and said he would
change the bill. We then gave him our views on the shortcomings of the room
we had occupied, namely it had not been properly cleaned, there was no hand basin in the shower and toilet area, no tissues and no kettle as previously mentioned. Additionally, the water in the shower failed to run away efficiently obviously because the exit pipe was blocked. During this period, Mr Roux failed to apologise at any point, merely referring to things being "unfortunate". When I suggested that he either knew
that the room we were taken to was not in accordance with our wishes or he was
unaware that we had ordered a room with a view, he said that he resented any
suggestion of his attempting to conceal matters.

My wife and I were frankly appalled at the level of service and most particularly by the obsequious manner of Mr Roux who displayed a total lack of the basics of hotel management in so far as treating his guests as customers who needed to be satisfied with the service provided is concerned.

We would not dream of returning to the Livermead House hotel and would advise anyone considering staying in Torquay to avoid it.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family
2  Thank johna68
Reviewed 5 August 2011

We were supposed to stay at the Livermead hotel for 2 nights during the May bank holiday. I had booked the hotel a week before, and I had checked that the terms and conditions authorised babies under 2 to stay for free in the room and they would provide a cot.
3 days before the trip, I emailed the hotel to check there would be a cot available. I can understand that hotels do not have many cots and they usually are subject to availability, however I was quite happy to take my own travel cot along.
The hotel then replied to me that the room we had booked did not have space for a cot, so we would have to upgrade to a sea view room and pay an extra £70. I replied to them that this was out of the question as it was written in the conditions of the room we had booked (not the general conditions of the hotel) that children under the age of 2 could stay free in this room in a baby cot, and they had to upgrade us with no extra charge or cancel our booking. Their reply was that they would "try to squeeze a cot in", with these exact words! I had no choice but to cancel the booking as I didn't want to arrive there and have no choice but pay an extra £70 if they hadn't manage to "squeeze it in"!
They not only mis-inform customers about their rooms, then they refuse to take responsibility for it, and to top it up try to "squeeze" more money out of you!
I did not actually go to this hotel so I cannot juge really the quality of the accomodation, but for sure I will never book a room there again.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled with family
2  Thank Jujuki
Reviewed 29 July 2011

We had a very nice overnight stay here. The dining room and bar were lavishly decorated which added to the atmosphere. Dinner was delicious but even though the breakfast was good, there wasn't a very good selection if you didn't want a full english. The lift was wonderfuly old, like an old movie. The rooms were alright, mine happened to have been decorated still in the seventies fashion, but it almost added to the experience! Another point was if you were at the back of the hotel the room was right next to the traintracks, a loud rumble every so often as they zoomed past. I found it to be a novelty but if I spent more then one night I might feel differently.

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 16 July 2011

We returned home about a fortnight ago from a visit to Torquay having stayed for 3 nights at this hotel.
From the moment we arrived we were extremely impressed by the high standard of service from all members of staff we dealt with.
Reception was friendly and welcoming, and immediate assistance with our luggage was available from our car to our room.
Our room, which overlooked the sea, garden and swimming pool, was clean and nicely furnished. The television was rather small and a problem with the TV reception was promptly dealt with when reported.
All our visits to the dining room were a pleasure. We were allocated a table on the first evening which was to be ours for the rest of our stay. The 4 course dinner, with a wide choice of menu, was extremely well presented and more than adequate for our requirements. Pleasant music was unobtrusively provided by the pianist, who entertained us with music from all the shows, ranging from present day to Ivor Novello's period.
We also found that the breakfasts were sumptuous, again with a wide choice. The chef provided an excellent cuisine, and all our needs were satisfied by the prompt attention from the waiters/waitresses.
We are determined to return to this superior hotel again later in the year

• Stayed: June 2011, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Roberts70
Reviewed 28 June 2011

Stayed at the Livermead House Hotel for three nights whilst attending a conference in Torquay. Big car park with ample parking, which is always welcome. Check in was easy and the receptionist friendly and helpful.

Points on which the hotel could improve: The one lift didn't service the part of the hotel I was allocated a room in, which meant taking the suitcase and other luggage up various tiers of stairs. The room was a good size with twin beds, however the beds are not too far off the ground, and could do with replacing - matresses are somewhat soft. Lampshades had also seen better days, and one wall light above the dressing table area did not work.
Windows were of the wooden sash variety, rattled in the high wind of the first night, and were draughty - New windows would be a good idea!
Bathroom had a bath and shower, The bath was chipped, and the heated towel rail (which was always red hot), was so close to the sink that I burned my arm a couple of times. Some black mold in the shower area also detracted.
The TV in the room was of the 14" CRT variety, and 'buzzed' so much that it was difficult to listen to. However, when reported late afternoon, this was sorted by early afternoon next day.

The good points: Excellent service from friendly, helpfull, happy staff. The quality, variety and cost of the food - better than most of the hotels I've stayed in in the UK. Hotel was also spotlessly clean.

Overall: A pleasant stay, excellent food, good staff, Hotel though is a little dated in its decor - but boutique chic would probably not fit with the building and its character. However, flat screen TVs and new windows would help bring the hotel up to date, and the latter add to room comfort, as would new beds. Wi-Fi in bedrooms would help too.

Room Tip: A room looking towards pool, or sea.