“Beautiful hotel”

Livermead House Hotel
Ranked #50 of 88 Hotels in Torquay
“Beautiful hotel”
Reviewed 30 May 2013

WOW, I returned today from a week at the Livermead House with my grandparents. This was my third trip to the hotel in 11 months, and I will be returning a further twice by the end of 2013. I travelled with the coach company, Marine Travel, and driver John was lovely.

When we arrived at the hotel, we were greeted by hotel owner, Mrs Rew and general manager, Tim. I have always been accepted into the hotel, I'm 15 years old, and have always been the youngest staying in the hotel when I'm there! We enjoyed Tea/Coffee and biscuits when we arrived, before going up to our room. Our bags were waiting outside our rooms so that saved us time and energy! I stayed in room 17, a single room and I loved it. It was small but, as I said, it was only a single. The double and twin rooms are bigger, as I have stayed in each on previous trips.

Food was amazing, especially sorbet! The meals were always hot and the staff were very efficient. There was also an amazing display of desserts. I also enjoyed a bar lunch, a Panini, and I believe they were reasonably priced.

I have seen many reviews saying that the hotel was old fashioned, but I believe it was beautiful. It was perfect. The dining room was always set up perfect, and it kind of reminds me of the Titanic! Other reviews have mentioned that it's on a main road, yes, but there's a space in between for coaches to drop off/pick up holiday makers. Finally, I would just like to add that the hotel should not be 3*, I believe it's perfect and at least 4/5*. Rooms are lovely, Food is amazing and every single member of staff is lovely and always acknowledge us.

I was an amazing holiday, I didn't want to come home!

Rebecca Johnson,
Newport, S.Wales

• Stayed May 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank GregCJ

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (107)
  • Polish first
London
Reviewed 30 May 2013

Yesterday, I took Afternoon Tea at The Ritz in London. They always offer friendly service, the staff are liveried, and the piano player pushes out popular tunes and some of the classics. All in the rococo surroundings of Palm Court, with its chandeliers, patterned carpets, heavy draped curtains, gilded statuary and mirrors. I had just come back from my annual visit to the Livermead House Hotel and remarked on the similarities between the dining room there and our present surroundings. Try both and you will see what I mean.

I always enjoy the Livermead House because it is resolutely old-fashioned in brand and with that comes excellent service and modernised, but old-style, rooms. On this visit, I had a rather poky single but it was clean, I slept very well and came away feeling that my first impressions of the room were quite wrong. Breakfast - in the splendid dining room - was fine and dinner reasonably good, although my starter was, shall we say, a little experimental in its approach. Will I be going back for further visits? Absolutely. I love the place.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled solo
1 Thank MisterCollins
Bridgend, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 May 2013

I first visited this hotel on my honeymoon some 55 years ago when it was being run by the same family who run it today, i.e. the Rew Family. I have visited it a number of times over the years the last being on Saturday, 25th May 2013. It has changed little over the years and maintains its friendly atmosphere and welcoming staff. We had an excellent sea view room at the front which although dated was comfortable and pleasant.

The dining room is elegant with many chandeliers and the food served is excellent with great attention given by staff to customers. There is a variety of wines on offer to accompany the food and the dinner comprises 4 al a carte courses with coffee served in the lounge afterwards.

I would recommend a sea view room when visiting if possible as rooms at the rear have a main railway line passing close to the hotel.

Good value for money and had a pleasant stay and was sorry I could not stay longer owing to the hotel being fully booked for the following week.

Room Tip: Try to book a sea view room.
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
Cardiff, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 May 2013

We have just spent another weekend break at the Livermead. It is an excellent hotel for food with a large selection of high quality fare. We like the hotel for the excellent ballroom but are disappointed with the decor and furnishings in the rest of the hotel. It really does need updating and some of the rooms are very small. However the beds are very clean with the linens being changed frequently. We shall return but hopefully to some refurbished rooms.

Room Tip: Choose a room at the side of the hotel
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled with friends
Truro, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 May 2013

The Livermead House Hotel is very charming as the staff are so polite and helpful and the dining is silver service and four courses. The rooms may be dated but we had a wonderful sea view room with pretty decor. Would highly recommend this hotel as it is very classy for not a very high price tag and it is within walking distance of Torquay along the sea front.

Room Tip: Sea view room or a garden view room.
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple
Lincolnshire, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 April 2013

I loved this place it is quite charming and I would recommend you book a sea view room as it's well worth it, our room was large and although it was a little dated I rather liked it as it would of been my dream room in the 1980's. We visited in March and it was a little chilly in the room so we asked for an extra heater and one was brought up immediately.
Service was excellent and check in easy with a friendly receptionist.

Room Tip: Book a sea view room.
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank alisonjgar
Guildford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 April 2013

It's easy to see both side of the arguments put here on Trip Advisor... so here's me trying to be balanced. First of all be aware that "Club" rooms appear to be small rooms at the back of the hotel. I booked a Club room for 2 nights at a very reasonable price. Based on comments here left my partner in the car whilst I did a recce on the room. Receptionist and Concierge were pleasant and helpful. I viewed the room I had booked and concluded it would be just too small for our needs, which included being allowed to bring our Dalamation with us. I paid the £10 pppn upgrade for a double room at the front of the hotel. The room (14) was more than adequate and is probably best described as a sitting room with a double bed in it. Bathroom was the only room off the main room and was tastefully decorated and totally functional. The decor had age to it and was of a certain Laura Ashley style but there was absolutely nothing to complain about. The room was warm and the bed very comfortable. We didn't eat in the hotel as we wanted to try some of the top Torquay restaurants and having had a substantial meal out in the evening means that breakfast is not a top priority so cannot comment on the food. What I can say the the staff were totally attentive...e.g. an iron and ironing board brought to the room within minutes of request. The hotel is frequented by some of our older generation...you know the type people...those that say please and thank you, don't make an unnecessary fuss over trivia and fought for our country in the 2nd WW....some of whom may be a little unsteady on their feet might hold you up for 30 seconds getting down to the bar. If these type of people offend you stay away. So how to get the best out of a stay at the Livermead House...I would say room selection is critical....we would have had a completely different feeling about the place had we stayed in the room we originally booked, and that could be helped by some honest dimensions and comments on the various websites through which rooms can be booked. The final thing to be mindful of is character and style. If you need a Lenny Henry Hotel don't stay here its simply not that kind of sole-less and efficient hotel...yes one of the lifts is ancient and would be ideal in a Sherlock Holmes movie it does however transport you between floors with ease which is its primary purpose. As for the TV's yes they are old...but I never travel 500 miles to watch TV...I have a 40' plasma at home with surround sound...if that's what you need again this place isn't for you. If however you want to stay in a characterful hotel with charm and history including some idiosyncrasies and served by people who care, then provided you select the correct room then this hotel is an excellent base from which to explore Devon. Here's the acid test....we will go back...including Polka who enjoyed being with us and not excluded from our holiday as she would have been by so many hotels in the area.

Room Tip: Room 14 has a sea partial sea view and overlooks the swimming pool.
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled with family