Livermead House Hotel
Great 4.5/5
Great 4.5/5
Excellent 5/5
  • Breakfast included
All reviewssilver servicemr rewrotary clubdining roomsea viewtraditional hotelcourse dinnerpublic roomsrestaurant stafffirst classsea frontsecond to nonenothing is too much troublehigh standardmy mumhotel is situatedwaiting staff
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 30 May 2013

WOW, I returned today from a week at the Livermead House with my grandparents. This was my third trip to the hotel in 11 months, and I will be returning a further twice by the end of 2013. I travelled with the coach company, Marine Travel, and driver John was lovely.

When we arrived at the hotel, we were greeted by hotel owner, Mrs Rew and general manager, Tim. I have always been accepted into the hotel, I'm 15 years old, and have always been the youngest staying in the hotel when I'm there! We enjoyed Tea/Coffee and biscuits when we arrived, before going up to our room. Our bags were waiting outside our rooms so that saved us time and energy! I stayed in room 17, a single room and I loved it. It was small but, as I said, it was only a single. The double and twin rooms are bigger, as I have stayed in each on previous trips.

Food was amazing, especially sorbet! The meals were always hot and the staff were very efficient. There was also an amazing display of desserts. I also enjoyed a bar lunch, a Panini, and I believe they were reasonably priced.

I have seen many reviews saying that the hotel was old fashioned, but I believe it was beautiful. It was perfect. The dining room was always set up perfect, and it kind of reminds me of the Titanic! Other reviews have mentioned that it's on a main road, yes, but there's a space in between for coaches to drop off/pick up holiday makers. Finally, I would just like to add that the hotel should not be 3*, I believe it's perfect and at least 4/5*. Rooms are lovely, Food is amazing and every single member of staff is lovely and always acknowledge us.

I was an amazing holiday, I didn't want to come home!

Rebecca Johnson,
Newport, S.Wales

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank GregCJ
Reviewed 30 May 2013

Yesterday, I took Afternoon Tea at The Ritz in London. They always offer friendly service, the staff are liveried, and the piano player pushes out popular tunes and some of the classics. All in the rococo surroundings of Palm Court, with its chandeliers, patterned carpets, heavy draped curtains, gilded statuary and mirrors. I had just come back from my annual visit to the Livermead House Hotel and remarked on the similarities between the dining room there and our present surroundings. Try both and you will see what I mean.

I always enjoy the Livermead House because it is resolutely old-fashioned in brand and with that comes excellent service and modernised, but old-style, rooms. On this visit, I had a rather poky single but it was clean, I slept very well and came away feeling that my first impressions of the room were quite wrong. Breakfast - in the splendid dining room - was fine and dinner reasonably good, although my starter was, shall we say, a little experimental in its approach. Will I be going back for further visits? Absolutely. I love the place.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank MisterCollins
Reviewed 28 May 2013

I first visited this hotel on my honeymoon some 55 years ago when it was being run by the same family who run it today, i.e. the Rew Family. I have visited it a number of times over the years the last being on Saturday, 25th May 2013. It has changed little over the years and maintains its friendly atmosphere and welcoming staff. We had an excellent sea view room at the front which although dated was comfortable and pleasant.

The dining room is elegant with many chandeliers and the food served is excellent with great attention given by staff to customers. There is a variety of wines on offer to accompany the food and the dinner comprises 4 al a carte courses with coffee served in the lounge afterwards.

I would recommend a sea view room when visiting if possible as rooms at the rear have a main railway line passing close to the hotel.

Good value for money and had a pleasant stay and was sorry I could not stay longer owing to the hotel being fully booked for the following week.

Room Tip: Try to book a sea view room.
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 8 May 2013

We have just spent another weekend break at the Livermead. It is an excellent hotel for food with a large selection of high quality fare. We like the hotel for the excellent ballroom but are disappointed with the decor and furnishings in the rest of the hotel. It really does need updating and some of the rooms are very small. However the beds are very clean with the linens being changed frequently. We shall return but hopefully to some refurbished rooms.

Room Tip: Choose a room at the side of the hotel
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 2 May 2013

The Livermead House Hotel is very charming as the staff are so polite and helpful and the dining is silver service and four courses. The rooms may be dated but we had a wonderful sea view room with pretty decor. Would highly recommend this hotel as it is very classy for not a very high price tag and it is within walking distance of Torquay along the sea front.

Room Tip: Sea view room or a garden view room.
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple