“VERY DISAPPOINTING STAY - WOULD NOT RECOMMEND”

and 1 more site!
Livermead House Hotel
Ranked #47 of 87 Hotels in Torquay
Reviewed 23 July 2013

On arrival we were shown our room , and went straight back down to reception to ask for another one. We were shown another 2 rooms and chose which we thought was the best one. We found that the shower didn't work properly, it was either running very cold or very hot and could not regulate it. We had the mainenance man 'fix it' twice but it was still the same, so gave up and just put up with it.
The decor of the bedrooms in particular was very bad and needed complete redecoration and refurbishment. We had a lovely view but it was very very noisy due to the constant traffic all through the night.
The public rooms downstairs were very nicely decorated with crystal chandeliers which suited this old hotel. The men staff although efficient wasn't very friendly but the receptionists were fine.The food was very good and the dining room was lovely.Overall the hotel is run down although they had started painting the back of the hotel whilst we were there, I suggest they get a move on and pay more attention to the bedrooms. We would not recommend this hotel to any friends or family and infact left a day earlier than first booked.

Room Tip: Apparently room 101 has been refurbished.
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
8  Thank JOAN B
There are newer reviews for Livermead House Hotel

Reviewed 23 July 2013

Older style hotel with lots of character situated over road from seafront. Outlook to sea. A little noisy but service and food excellent. Staff went out of their way to assist. Local buses stop almost opposite make it very conveniant. Parking very good. Had 3 nights there. Highly recommended.

Room Tip: Try for upper room overlooking sea.
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Utsa
Reviewed 22 July 2013

We stayed here for one night to attend a wedding. We paid £99 for our room and due to sleep problems, asked for a quiet room. On arrival we were met by sniffy staff at reception and given our room key. The room was laughable - the bed was almost hidden behind the door and the bathroom window was lodged open with an empty toilet roll. Ideally, it was right next to the lift which squealed and wailed everytime it was used. We came back from the wedding and the noise was unbearable. I rang down and asked for a different room, where we were told to pack up and get dressed and come down to the lobby to get the keys for another room! We toiled down, very sleepy and cross to be met by another sniffy receptionist who just gave us another key and off we went. This room was bigger and overlooked the rubbish and all the airconditioning pipes and was equally noisy. The bed clothes were awful - old, stiff, dusty bedding and we slept under nothing in the end. The toilet seat was all over the place and the shower was mouldy. We just tried to sleep in the extremely lumpy and uncomfortable two single beds pushed together (by the hotel). In the morning, we were ignored by the staff serving breakfast and I decided to complain. I met the manager after waiting a while and outlined the issues we had had. His response was exactly -" you booked on the internet and you got a cheap price. This gives you no right to complain as you are getting what you paid for." I was dumbstruck. He was patronising and unpleasant and said if we would guarantee going again, next time he would give us a better room. My response was more polite than I actually wanted to be. I wouldn't recommend this except for sheer comedy value.

Room Tip: Go to another hotel.
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family
5  Thank MissusTeach
Reviewed 21 July 2013

The staff in this hotel, particularly the restaurant staff, are excellent. However, for the price of the holiday it was extremely disappointing, and bluntly, a bit of a rip off.. The hotel is extremely run down and the decor is very shabby in places with a broken radiator cover in the bedroom. The bedroom had a fabulous sea view but it was like stepping into a hot furnace each time we stepped inside. However the housekeeping staff did a great job in keeping it clean.
jThe pool side chairs and loungers were frankly filthy, and could have done with a really good clean. The steps leading into the pool were wobbly and should have been made secure. Not very good from a health and safety aspect. A very disappointing aspect was lack of wifi which was only available in the reception area. For this day and age this is not really good enough. Running my own business I need internet access and was expecting wifi in my hotel room( particularly for the price paid) so it was very inconvenient to have to traipse down to reception each time I needed it.The average age of guests here looked to be 65+ and a great many were on coach trip breaks. Maybe this why there is no wifi in all areas as the owners feel there is no need due to the clientele they attract. Such a shame as it could be fabulous hotel for families, couples and business people and not just for the elderly. In essence, it needs fully updating and maybe the owners need to be less complacent.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Elizabeth D
Reviewed 12 July 2013

I find it difficult to give a rating since the cons by far outweigh the pros. For a hotel in this price range it is seriously lacking in basically everything I would expect. Although the location is good, I think those of us who are not 60+ would be better off in a holiday let or the Premier Inn (which, incidentally, cost the same).

Pros:
- good service and helpful staff
- good location with easy access to public transport
- quiet (unless you are right next to the railway line or above a function room)
- modern and clean bathroom

Cons:
- small room (number 18)
- hotel is aimed at older people as evidenced by the decor and entertainment
- very noisy mattress that sounded like leather on leather, but much louder; not suitable for light sleepers (I had no idea a bed could be that loud!)
- lumpy pillows
- flimsy blanket
- no view at all: the window showed an enclosed small space only open at the top, so no air could get into our very hot room and it was noisy day and night due to extractor fans situated in that space outside
- few freeview channels and fuzzy picture on TV
- there are no toilet paper rolls, only sheets
- toilet does not flush reliably, if at all
- there is only wifi in the bar area (very small) and not in all public areas; no wifi in the rooms at all
- dirty pool
- hadn't come across the recreation areas (and you need to pay for use, which was not mentioned on the site where we booked)
- only one type of tea in the room, so take your own selection with you
- speaking as someone originally from the continent, the Continental breakfast isn't varied enough
- very dated decor: old-fashioned is fine, but not if it is obvious the place needs decorating throughout
- small garden: images deceptive
- a very busy main road separates the hotel from the beach, which I hadn't expected, judging from the photos
- it is very dark indoors if you aren't sat right next to the windows; also quite dim at night
- noise from function rooms (there was a wedding going on while we were there)
- entertainment aimed at elderly people (which can be amusing to watch - try and get old people to do the YMCA dance, for instance - but isn't for younger people)
- I expected far more for the money paid!

Neutral:
- I was surprised by the large number of foreign staff which I hadn't expected while holidaying in England. However, that isn't a bad thing, it was just unexpected since I was ready for all things English.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 8 July 2013

Were it not for the excellent staff in this hotel I'd give it no stars. What to the owners is 'timeless elegance' is actually very run down accommodation. It was like stepping back in time 30 years and there was nothing to remind you it was 2013.......i mean seriously, what hotel in this price bracket doesn't offer wifi these days? This hotel needs an awful lot of money spending on it in almost every public area and room it's just so run down. The room was more of a hot cell with small cramped beds that were purchased far too long ago and resembled a hostel in a third world country. The food at breakfast was the worst quality I've tasted in a long time - having it served by waiters in full evening dress with fine china does not make up for buying cheap food that repeated on me all day. Such a shame as a beautiful building and amazing staff with such potential to be a good relaxing hotel. In short to perspective travellers avoid it. But if you own a hotel in Torquay poach the staff as they're amongst the best I've seen.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Patrick E
Reviewed 6 July 2013

Just a single night spent at the hotel to attend the Old Grammarians Annual Dinner which was held in the hotel function room.

My single en suite room, whilst compact had a sea view at no extra charge, was comfortable and spotlessly clean. The meal at the function was excellent. The 'full English' was very good and the staff polite and attentive. I would stay there again.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled solo