“More than dissapointing”

Ranked #49 of 87 Hotels in Torquay
Pontypridd
“More than dissapointing”
Reviewed 30 July 2010

Our stay at the Livermead lasted less than 6 hours in total. We booked the hotel on line and it seemed quite nice. We arrived at the hotel at 2. 40 pm as the website for the hotel said we could book in anytime after 2pm. on arriving at the hotel we went to reception and paid what the web site had advertised , £694 on a bed aad breakfast basis for 6 nights. We were then shown to our room on arriving there we found it was not yet ready and was asked if we could go away and come back in 20 minutes. We were stiting in the garden to wait the 20 mins when my wife noticed the lovely swiming pool advetised had cement mixers aroud it and there was no water in the pool. I went to reception and asked why the pool was out of commission and was told it had been like that for a few weeks and was welcome to use the pool at their sister hotel up the road. We evertually was given our room which left us a bit dissapointed with what was conidered a sea view. You could actually see the sea if you looked around to left of the window but looking directly out the window was a view of the now disused swiming pool which I considered was a bit annoying to say the least. Off the right through our window was a view of the double railway line that went passed the back of the hotel right under our window ( this was not mentioned on the web site) To make things worse there was no double glazing and one of the windows did not have an handle so could not be shut tightly.At 6 pm iI went to reception and ask to speak to the hotel Manager. When he came I asked if we could have a word somewhere in private, unfortunately his idea of private was for us both to stand in the middle of recption to disscus my complaints in view and hearing of anyone in or passing through reception at the time. His intial reaction to my concerns were to ask me how much I was paying and when I told him he told me I wasnt dong to bad as it was normally £80 pp per night. I then told him I was unhappy with that reaction as I had paid what ever the price stated on the hotels web site and hadn't bartered the price at all. The Managers next solution to my problems was to offer me a full refund if I wanted to leave the hotel there and then . After going for a meal and disscusing this with my wife we decieded to take the Manager up on his offer and returned to the hotel packed and left the LiverMead House Hotel at 8 pm on a Sunday evening to try and find another hotel for the week. So no our 5hour and 20 minute stay at this hotel was not a pleasant experience at all.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (112)
  • Polish first
devon
Reviewed 26 July 2010

Did we choose the right hotel for our wedding blessing reception??? OH YES,this was the perfect hotel...the service was exceptional, the staff polite and descrete. The afternoon meal catered for everyones taste, even our guest with a nut alergy was catered for......the evening do went down so well, and the "icing on the cake" was the four poster bed at the end of the night, with a fabulous view of the bay, not quite Antigua, but an encellent 2nd best.
A big thank you to all the staff involved, especially Elisa, who ensured the day went without a hitch.
And our grateful thanks to the Rew family.

2 Thank teddybaredevon
Rotherham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 July 2010

From the reception, to the rooms, the bar, the quality of food, the standard of service at each table for all meals, the gentle accompaniment on the Grand-piano for evening-dinner and not forgetting the welcoming log-fire, I have never been in any hotel, with such an overall high standard.

Next year, 2011, will be our third stay over the winter and with a glass of red wine in hand, a warming log-fire behind, and views over Torbay to Berry Head, it really makes winter's bearable.

We look forward, with real pleasure to our stay at The Livermead House Hotel, Torquay.

• Stayed February 2009, travelled on business
2 Thank sorbyjohnson
Suffolk
Reviewed 11 July 2010

The hotel I imagine would have been quite spectacular circa 1950, but now it is so dated, tired and quite depressing.

The first disappointment was the room, apparently one of their best with sea views. It was small, had no bath and was drab and tatty. The shower was quite pathetic and took a full 5 mins before the water reached an adequate temperature. The Hotel is on a very busy main road and the traffic noise was apparent whilst in the room, I heard that other residence at the back had the noise from the railway.

I have stayed in many hotels throughout the UK and for £170 a night, I would have expected a little luxury here and there, bottled water, robes – perhaps hot water and curtains that met in the middle. On the plus side, the reception staff and restaurant waiting staff provided excellent service – I couldn’t fault it. The Manager however, was quite arrogant.

2 Thank Markhams8
Crewe, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 July 2010

My husband, who is disabled, and I had a wonderful holiday at the Livermead House Hotel. From reception, dining room, and bedroom staff couldn't have been more helpful. The food was superb throughout the 10 days we stayed there. We frequently, due to my husband's illness stayed in for lunch which was presented well and served by friendly staff. Our room No. 4, yes it could do with a makeover of the wardrobe, but being in business myself I know how much these things cost, but the most important thing to me it was kept very clean with changes of towels daily and bedding every other day. I was disappointed that the swimming pool was out of action due to health and safety specifications, but look forward to visiting the hotel again when I will be able to use that facility. Overall, a great hotel that I have certainly recommended to my friends and family.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Davies115
newcastle
Reviewed 1 July 2010

We have just returned from Livermead House Hotel afer a 3 night stay, to be honest after reading some of the reviews I wasnt expecting too much. Quite the opposite the staff I think are exceptional, nothing was too much trouble for them, the service was also excellent. The food well that was absolutley amazing dinner was 4 courses + coffee, the choice was vast and I cannot remember having food this good in any hotel ive been to and we have stayed in some very nice hotels around the world. Breakfast was also exceptional. I would never even think of going to another Hotel in Torquay. The rooms are old and in need of some updating for sure, but our room was a good size and was spotlessley clean, however the people we were with had a much smaller room than ours. We spent very little time in the rooms and when they are refurbished this will be at the top of everyones list im sure. Most of the people we spoke to there go back time after time. It was great to see some good old fashioned service from all who were immaculatley dressed. The swimming pool was being refurbished whilst we were there which we didnt know about, and that is the only thing which could have been better as the weather was great. All in all a great stay with a few inches added to my waistline.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled with family
1 Thank parksiepeople
London
Reviewed 19 June 2010

First of all, the location needs to be dealt with. Torquay is not big and therefore most hotels will be within fairly close range of the town centre. This hotel is barely five minutes from the station, which is great. It is about 15 minute's walk to the centre of Torquay, which is OK. The location is undoubtedly sea-facing, however what they don't tell you is that it is nestling slap bang between the main coast road and the railway line, and I mean right on the (very busy) coast road - let me emphasise that this is the main route between all the towns on the English "Riviera" and so quiet it ain't. The back of the hotel practically hangs over the main railway line, and so you have a mixture of puttering two-carriage Sprinter-type trains pootling along every half an hour, peppered with high speed intercity trains racing between London Paddington and Penzance. The good thing is that as the hotel is so close to the station, the trains yet haven't reached full speed and thus you have more time to appreciate the noise and feel the walls tremble when the diesel engine roars past.

The check-in experience was interesting - the staff are extremely friendly and smartly kitted out, however we discovered that the room that had been allotted to us was room 28, which didn't have a key. The receptionist rummaged around and bleated to whoever happened to be passing that the key had gone missing, and then cheerily told us that the porter would take us up there anyway and they would arrange a key later in the day (and so we could either leave the room unlocked with our belongings in there or close the room door and be unable to re-enter). By this I by no means wish to insinuate that Torquay is full of kleptomaniacs but in general it simply isn't good practice to leave one's stuff on display to all who pass and it certainly isn't acceptable for a hotel of allegedly three stars to suggest such a course of action.

And so, we were shown to our alloted (unlocked) room - 28. I would add to the other review stating that room 68 should be avoided, as I would say the exact same of room 28. It is horrible: dingy, cramped, an internal bathroom and two windows that were wedged open and wouldn't shut looking out on some sort of dodgy low corrugated roofing and all the kitchen vents and extractors, complete with noise. The twin beds were so soft we immediately sank on to the springs and were so short our feet nearly dangled off the end ( we are both around 5' 4"). We went back to reception to ask if they please had anything else and they only had doubles. They showed us three others, another one which looked out onto the same noisy kitchen view, an another one that was so uninspiring that I've completely forgotten what it was like and the one we finally plumped for, that looked out onto the side of the hotel (onto what I assume was the laundry room and a mysterious gate labelled "Squash"). The bathroom was nice and bright at least and had a window and so was a bit cheerier. The decor in the room was dreadful - flowers and pelmets everywhere, old "oh no I've thrown up on the carpet" patterns and this time the bed managed to be barely a queen-sized width and was hard and lumpy at the same time. We unpacked our things and toddled outside to have a look at the pool and gardens. These certainly looked more promising, however our hearts sank when we saw what would one day be a lovely pool - unfortunately it was bereft of water but with a plethora of blokes drilling and hammering round it. They hadn't mentioned that in the hotel literature either, funnily enough. Oh well. We went off for a nice walk around the town and one of the coastal paths and it was absolutely stunning and so when we eventaully crawled back to the hotel, we were looking forward to collapsing in the bed, and hopefully not moving so that we wouldn't fall out. We then received a call from reception, saying that hadn't we booked a twin? The tone implied that we had been very sneaky and naughty by ending up with a double and perhaps the intention was to avoid any moral misbehaviour (we weren't too enamoured about the whole sharing a bed thing either but by this point we were past caring) so I sheepishly admitted that yes, that was the case. My bolshy side then came out and I started to list all the reasons why we had changed rooms, when I was interrupted and told that there were now lots of twin rooms available as everyone had been moving around and changing rooms (this, I feel, speaks volumes) and would we like to have a look at them? We naturally shot down to reception and were handed three room keys and ushered round the rooms by a very nice porter, who was somewhat startled to find that the first "twin" room we looked at was in fact one of the doubles we had turned down earlier, with the same dodgy kitchen-vent view. The second one was OK but nothing special but the third one was actually quite cute in a pastel-flowery sort of way, and even had a new carpet that was screaming out for plain-material curtains and bedding to match it, alas to no avail. The bathroom was very big and had a nice big window and was really bright and the TV was at least three times the size of any of the other ones. We noticed the railway line but our poor addled brains were too tired to process the proximity of it and it looked very small and innocent. The twin beds swung it and so we grabbed our stuff from the other room and legged it for the 2nd time that day to another room. Despite all the negatives concerning this hotel, I thought this was actually a very nice and pro-active touch from the staff and it meant we had our own beds again.

I decided to run a nice hot bath to ease my aching limbs, when my friend emerged from the bathroom saying that there must be a leak somewhere as there was water all over the floor after she'd had her shower. I assumed that the spray must just have gone a bit crazy and so mopped it up a bit and went to turn on the taps for my bath. However, it would appear that they had been welded into the "off" position as no matter what I did with them and how hard I turned them, they wouldn't budge. My friend suggested using the shower to fill the bath, which I thought a capital ideal and this brought the cause of the leak to light - the shower hose attached to the bath tap fitting (with its own dial which thankfully worked) was spraying out equally as much water as it was feeding through the head and this water was racing straight to the sides of the bath and over the side. The bath, when eventually I was able to get in it, was lovely and hot and a very nice shade of pink, which funnily enough matched the exact colour I was after getting out, and after a bit of a wobble on the loo seat (which in actual fact, practically came off and was hanging on for dear life by one hinge on its last legs) I collapsed onto my bed in a heap and passed out until morning, trains and all.

A knock on the door came about 09:00 with someone yelling "housekeping", which I thought a bit odd as breakfast didn't finish until 9:45 and so it was probably safe to expect we could still be in the room (which we were but fortunately I was able to get to the door in time before it was opened). We went down for breakfast and were met by a chap splendidly dressed in full dinner dress, tails and all. I was very impressed and the dining room certainly was quite grand, if rather twee. There was too much stuff on the tables though, which didn't actually leave much room for pots of tea and coffee etc. We ordered a cooked breakfast and while waiting, had some juice that had come straight out of a carton and some grapefruit that had come straight out of a tin. The cooked breakfast arrived after some toast, which we had to send back as it was actually slightly tanned bread, and apart from the bacon - which was delicious - was a complete grease-fest. Very tasty, but with a coating of oil on everything which certainly assured it slipped down easily, and straight back out again a bit later (sorry).

After a long day, we came back to the hotel exhausted again, looking forward to a long hot soak and maybe some time reading our books downstairs or even watching our TV in the room to catch a bit of the World Cup. It wasn't to be however, as sadly our TV declined to function, unless I positioned myself in the adjoning bathroom and struck a Saturday Night Fever-type pose so that my raised arm and pointed finger were pointing out the bathroom window. This improved the reception a hundred-fold but slightly impeded us both enjoying the football. We called reception, who sent up a porter, who did all the cable-jiggling, aerial wobbling and switching on and off that we did, looked bemused when we said we had two remotes for the set-top box but none for the TV itself, said "Sorry I don't know what's wrong with it", shrugged and left. No TV for us then. We had a cup of tea and settled down to read, when we discovered everyone else staying there, who were probably all about 30 years older than us at least, were up for a Friday night bop and the cheesy music, which initially sounded like a barn dance and moved onto Abba and other 70s pop tunes best forgotten, blasted on until after midnight. It wasn't just a distant throb, as I could make out all of the lyrics and most of the guitar riffs - this probably says more about me than the music but there we go.

The next morning, we went down for breakfast again and decided to steer clear of the full English and so I ordered scrambled eggs on toast. What came back was a single egg that had been scrambled on a bit of thin white toast that had been cut into two triangles. One egg doesn't make for a whole lot of scrambling and it looked rather forlon on the plate. I decided to fill myself up with a pastry which stood ramrod straight when I held it at the corner, which made me realise it wasn't altogether fresh. My friend had her breakfast taken from her on two separate occasions well before she was finished - perhaps this was her fault as she paused to have a sip of tea and inadvertantly put her knife and fork down in what was interpreted as a finished position (it wasn't).

All in all, I would not go back to this hotel if you paid me. The location is very busy and noisy, it is in serious need of an upgrade and a freshen-up and some of the rooms are simply appalling. Some of the rooms are also very nice, as we were able to see in to them as we made our way down to reception as they were being cleaned, but the majority are one or two-star level at the most and I know not what you must do to obtain one of these rooms. I suspect the three-star rating is due to TVs and ensuite bathrooms in all rooms, plus the pool etc but as we were unable to enjoy the pool, the TV or full use of the bath-taps then I would struggle to understand its rating.

I would agree that the staff are very nice and the girl on reception in the evening certainly did an excellent job of getting us a more suitable room - I was actually quite taken aback by her thoughtfulness and proactivity - but I simply cannot recommend this place, especially not for £100 a night for a room. It's a real shame but this place is from a bygone age - it does seem to be popular with the more advanced in years and I wish them all well and hope they enjoy themselves in the place but I would never go back.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled with friends