“wonderfull experience, a good time had by all”

Livermead House Hotel
Ranked #49 of 87 Hotels in Torquay
Birmingham, United Kingdom
“wonderfull experience, a good time had by all”
Reviewed 2 November 2010

rooms were nice, bathrooms were clean and tea and coffee making facilities were provided, the staff were very pleasant and genial and made us feel very welcome, the evening meals and breakfasts were great the food was definitely a highlight of the stay overall i have only good things to say about my stay and i will definitely return in the future

• Stayed October 2010, travelled with family
1 Thank maverickspecies

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (111)
  • Polish first
Birmingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 October 2010

The public rooms were beautifully appointed. The dining room with the mirrors and candles was very elegant. The meals were deliciousand beautifully cooked. In the evenings we enjoyed sitting in the Devonshire Lounge with the real fire. The staff were very attentive and their uniforms were striking. It all added to the elegant ambience of the public rooms. We enjoyed our stay in the hotel.
I was disappointed with the bedroom. The bedcovers were faded, and one was stained. The beds were junior size, (were they meant to be singles?) and the mattresses sagged in the midddle.
The bathroom was better, but a shower curtain would have reduced the splash onto the floor.
The coffee tables in the bars and lounges could do with being repolished as there were scorch marks on quite a few of them.
The carpet strips in the large lounge, that could be removed for dancing, could benefit from having "cat's claws " underneath to keep them flat on the floor, so when you moved a chair the carpet strip wouldn't buckle up. This is a Health And Safety issue, and could be costly if a guest trippped over the offending carpet strip and got hurt.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled as a couple
Wembley, London, England
Reviewed 26 October 2010

Our 5th time here, my daughter and i visit together for a few days at a time, this hotel is like Home from Home, as i mentioned to the delightful efficient and immaculateTimothy Rew himself, we know the staff who welcome us like family, the dining rooms and lounges with what can only be described as their "attention to perfection" , wood fires, chiming clocks, perfect dining table layout are everything traditional British home-fire comfort could encompass, the food is amazing beyond description, rooms are warm clean and cosy, bathrooms modern and spotless. We also love those staff from Eastern Europe who are clearly hand picked for their manners and attention and keenness to look after the guests. livermead also organises weddings , and these are also done to perfection, like everything, seems every detail is taken to the nth degree to get it perfect for the family big day. We love this hotel, it's our idea of English hotel perfection, and be clear that we're seasoned international travellers. Just can't wait to book our next trip !!!!! Many thanks for everything you do, and hope to see you soon.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled on business
1 Thank HowlingMadMurdoch
watford hertfordshire
Reviewed 31 August 2010

02084284761 E MAIL tel_val@yahoo.co.uk
We spent a wonderful week at the Livermead House Hotel
The service we received from the moment we arrived was first class.
The room had a lovely sea view was both spacious and extremely clean
A perfect location overlooking the sea and a short stroll from the town centre
The food was to die for with a varied daily menu and extremely efficient service
In summary we cant wait to go back for another holiday

• Stayed August 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank ramps301
Coventry, United Kingdom
Reviewed 29 August 2010

Stayed in this hotel Bank Hoilday weekend, arrived home 2hrs ago. Check in was hassel free and they got a porter to get our case from the car and take it up to room 49 for us. Made us feel special at this. The room was so dated that I could have cried. Single glazed metal framed windows that had at least 20 coats of paint on them. The bed was lumpy and had a pair of sheets, one itchey blanket and a bedspred that was so heavey it just pinned you to the lumpy mattress. It seemed to be more like a wall carpet than a bedspred.
Went for brakfast first morning and as I can only use one arm I left my knife on one edge of my plate and used my fork. I put the fork down next to my knife so I could dip my toast in my egg then suddenly the waiter walked off with my breakfast. My Husband had to tell him I hadnt finished and to bring it back.
Went for evening meal ( four courses, £25pp ) and was shown to our table by a snotty nosed waitress who gave us the menu before I could even sit in the seat, and then asked what we wanted to order. If you order a steak you have to pay a £15 suppliment. My husband ordered sole fish and they waitress came back and told him he would have to wait at least 40 mins. We said that was fine and two minutes later another waitress came over, shoved the menu in my husbands face and told him once again about the suppliment and asked him to order off the other page.
While sitting there I noticed that the couple on the next table were severed Four courses in 20mins. My husband cut the meat up on my plate and the manager came over to ask if everything was ok. Five mins after being given our dinner the waitress started walking back and forth just waiting to grab our plates. My husband put the stop watch on and six seconds after putting my fork down she had the plate in her hand and was off.
On the way back to our room I asked at reception if I could have a little milk and two teabags for the room. Her answer was, firmly " What happened to the ones put in your room?". She then got out her radio and called for a porter to take some milk and teabags up to our room.
About 95% of staff must be there on work visa's, (Which I have NO problem with) but they have no manners.
Be aware, as soon as you have paid on arrival, you are no longer made to feel welcome. If you are working class like us the staff just look down their noses at you. I will never go to this hotel again. My tip to you is to book a pem inn. At least they are clean and comfty

• Stayed August 2010, travelled as a couple
3 Thank merrylmelina
london
Reviewed 19 August 2010

This is the sixth year we have spent at the Livermead House and they just get better!
The food is great and seems to improve each year -we look forward to meal time -us in our sixties and our 12 year grandson
The facilities again get better with the improved new pool and jacuzi area excellent
But the main enjoyment is the welcome and the quality of the staff . Above and beyond the call of duty is the norm. During this visit I unfortunately had to spend a night in hospital and the hotel's response could not be bettered - they were terrific! As was the management too - well above the average standard these days
Put simply, they care!
We can not recommend the place enough! Go there!
It is also ideally situated for the beach but also for all destinations

• Stayed August 2010, travelled with family
2 Thank Danar234
Pontypridd
Reviewed 30 July 2010

Our stay at the Livermead lasted less than 6 hours in total. We booked the hotel on line and it seemed quite nice. We arrived at the hotel at 2. 40 pm as the website for the hotel said we could book in anytime after 2pm. on arriving at the hotel we went to reception and paid what the web site had advertised , £694 on a bed aad breakfast basis for 6 nights. We were then shown to our room on arriving there we found it was not yet ready and was asked if we could go away and come back in 20 minutes. We were stiting in the garden to wait the 20 mins when my wife noticed the lovely swiming pool advetised had cement mixers aroud it and there was no water in the pool. I went to reception and asked why the pool was out of commission and was told it had been like that for a few weeks and was welcome to use the pool at their sister hotel up the road. We evertually was given our room which left us a bit dissapointed with what was conidered a sea view. You could actually see the sea if you looked around to left of the window but looking directly out the window was a view of the now disused swiming pool which I considered was a bit annoying to say the least. Off the right through our window was a view of the double railway line that went passed the back of the hotel right under our window ( this was not mentioned on the web site) To make things worse there was no double glazing and one of the windows did not have an handle so could not be shut tightly.At 6 pm iI went to reception and ask to speak to the hotel Manager. When he came I asked if we could have a word somewhere in private, unfortunately his idea of private was for us both to stand in the middle of recption to disscus my complaints in view and hearing of anyone in or passing through reception at the time. His intial reaction to my concerns were to ask me how much I was paying and when I told him he told me I wasnt dong to bad as it was normally £80 pp per night. I then told him I was unhappy with that reaction as I had paid what ever the price stated on the hotels web site and hadn't bartered the price at all. The Managers next solution to my problems was to offer me a full refund if I wanted to leave the hotel there and then . After going for a meal and disscusing this with my wife we decieded to take the Manager up on his offer and returned to the hotel packed and left the LiverMead House Hotel at 8 pm on a Sunday evening to try and find another hotel for the week. So no our 5hour and 20 minute stay at this hotel was not a pleasant experience at all.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled as a couple