“Great atmosphere” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #52 of 89 Hotels in Torquay
Aylesbury, United Kingdom
“Great atmosphere”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 June 2011

Both my husband & I had a very enjoyable stay at the Richwood, the hosts Veronica & Saiyda were very welcoming & entertaining, nothing was too much trouble, at 1st we had a bedroom out the front but because my husband was having trouble sleeping due to traffic noise they kindly offered us a bigger bedroom out the back at no extra cost. The 1st night we were there was the official opening of the bar & bistro & we had a lovely Lebanese banquet. The hosts only took over this hotel in February this year & have done so much to accommodate guests and are both very welcoming. It was our wedding anniversary on the Friday we were there & the hosts did us a lovely surprise of a champagne breakfast with smoked salmon which was most appreciated & very enjoyable. We would like to wish Veronica & Saiyda all the very best for the future.

1 Thank Marysmith25
richwoodhotel, Owner at The Richwood, responded to this review, 12 June 2011
Gkad we added pleasure to your holiday in Torquay. We lookforward to the next time!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (69)
Torquay, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 June 2011

I travel to Torquay every 6 weeks for business and I booked into the Richwood in May when Veronics and Saida had just taken over. They were in the middle of a major upgrade following their purchase and whilst things were not yet finished, they both went out of their way to make me feel at home, which they did. They promised that when I next came back to the hotel, their bar licence would be in place and their Bistro would be open, along with the heated outdoor pool and spa. I returned this week, to find that they had achieved this and what a great job and amount of work these ladies have achieved in those short 6 weeks.

I was made to feel very welcome, almost like a friend, as this was my second visit - the rooms are spacious, very clean, tidy etc. Breakfast was excellent and cooked for me earlier than they would normally be open, as I had a full day ahead and wanted an early start.

The other residents there were very relaxed also and many of us talked, which you tend not to get in some of the more larger and corporate hotels, so the experience was relaxing and homely.

I normally have to take a client out in the evening, but on this occasion this was not the case and I decided to taste some of Saida's Lebanise food - I was a little reluctant to try as I tend to be a bit mainstream, so Veronica arranged Saida to give me a sample of some vegetable, meat and fish dishes - these were lovely and I fully enjoyed them and would recommend this food if you have not had arabic food before, truely lovely and not heavy at all.

Just like to say well done ladies, see you in July/August and say hello to Sheba the dog, who they introduced me to also.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled on business
Bridgwater, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 June 2011

My husband and I stayed at the Richwood for 2 nights as an anniversary getaway. The place was in the process of being refurbished but was still very quiet, clean and tidy. The room was quite basic but very clean and the bed was comfortable so we slept well. There were spare pillows available but we didn't need them as the ones on the bed were nice and deep and springy. There was also plenty of tea and coffee, etc available in the room which was topped up daily. Unfortunately the spa was out of action but they were looking for tradesmen to resolve the problems and the pool was still available for use.
Veronica and Sayeda were absolutely lovely; very welcoming and great to chat with and they couldn't have been any more helpful - they were very open about being new to the business but they really went the extra mile and what they lacked in experience they made up for in an effort to keep the customers happy!
The cooked breakfasts weren't large but they were certainly adequate and there was toast and cereal if you wanted them as well as plenty of fruit juice, tea and coffee. We didn't eat in the bistro as my husband only likes plain fare, but I did sample some of their cooking and would definitely recommend it. The bar was comfortable and had a relaxed atmosphere.
All in all we loved the place and will be staying again when we get the chance.

Room Tip: Traffic noise at front resolved by closing windows
richwoodhotel, Owner at The Richwood, responded to this review, 12 June 2011
We enjoyed your visit and look forward to seeing you again!
Basingstoke, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 June 2011

My girlfriend and I were originally booked in for two nights in this hotel but such was the friendly nature and cheery atmosphere we extended our stay to a third night.
The hotel itself was undergoing some renovation for the duration of our stay but you wouldn't have noticed. The entire place was immaculately kept despite it's size and being fully occupied.
The Staff were all extremely friendly and desite how demanding we were, bent over backwards to meet our every need and showed enormous flexibility to meet our requirements.
Our room was clean and well serviced, the bar was very reasonably priced and the home cooked food exceptionally tasty.
My only regret is missing the opening night buffet of their Lebonese bistro due to a wedding.
My girlfriend and I are already planning another trip to Torquay and we know where we'll be booking ourselves into.
We both reccommend The Richmond very highly.

richwoodhotel, Owner at The Richwood, responded to this review, 12 June 2011
It was a pleasure for us to have you here. We look forward to seeing you again!
Bristol, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 June 2011

I booked this hotel for a youngish couples bank holiday weekend away. I have family in the area and all of us love Torquay. I booked 3 double rooms.
On arrival we were told that if we used over our 4 allocated tea bags / coffee we would be charged extra! this set a tone for what we all felt was a penny pinching stay.
Our room had 2 singlebeds pushed together! when i enquired about this as i had booked a double, i was told to think about all that extra space to sleep in! funny enough i actually enjoy cuddling up to my partner at night and not slipping down the gap in the middle.
We were asked to pre order breakfast which we did. Not one of the orders was correct and i have never seen such mean/tiny portions. When i asked why the menu said 2 rashers of bacon but we only received 1 i was told they had printed the menu's before they had relised how big the rashers were in Torquay!! This we are still giggling about today. half a slice of fried bread on a breakfast is a joke surely everyone can run to a whole slice. One member of our party ordered 2 poach eggs on toast to be given 1 egg on 1 slice of toast this is hardly an adults breakfast!
When we booked the hotel on the internet it showed its spa and pool and bar, which was one of the reasons we decided to stay there. We are all keen sports people who train hard and like to relax with a beer. On arrival we were told the bar was shut due to her not obtaining the licence in time. We werent to bothered as we thought o well we will find a local pub.
The next day we went to use the spa and we were told that it wasnt working, it had run out of gas and she was unable to get realiable workman in Devon! so we carried on and thought o well we will just use the heated pool, well all we can say is that it must be heated with a tea light! it was freezing and we didnt bother again!
one couple in our party got locked in their room due to a faulty lock to be far to the owner they moved them into another room and the new room was gorgeous with lovely facilities, however when they requested soem more pillows (we were only allowed 1 per bed) they were told they would have to pay 50p a pillow! this we found unbelievable.
to be fair to the owners on our last morning some guests left without being served their ordered breakfast and she offered it to us which we readily agreeed to as we were still hungry from our child portions we had been given!
this hotel is obviously under new management from when we booked it and has the potential to be a lovely hotel, however out of politeness i feel we should have been told that although we had booked it with a spa, heated pool and bar none of these facilities were functioning. I felt very mislead and was very disapointed with the 2 single beds pushed together. As the hotel inspector always says 2 singles does not make a double!!
the pictures and claims on the internet are very misleading.

• Stayed May 2011, travelled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
14 Thank carvercox
richwoodhotel, Owner at The Richwood, responded to this review, 11 June 2011
Thank you for the feedback. I wish you had been able to give it to me personally, but that's the way it goes.
Happliy other guests have had better experiance of our hotel and this was reflected in the personal and public feedback. And incidentally, the pool is now heated, the Beirut-Bistro-Bar is open and everyone is enjoying all the Richwood has to offer!