“Marvellous Lebanese Messe”
Review of The Richwood

The Richwood
Ranked #50 of 86 Hotels in Torquay
Reviewed 24 September 2013

First impression of The Richwood was that it stunk of smoke and that it was very off putting, it said in there rules that no smoking permitted in rooms and if you did their would be a charge for eradicating the smell.
The room was very small and I particularly don't like coloured towels, especially brown as you don't know if they have been washed or not, also the duvet cover was very dark and as with the towels you don't know whether it is clean on for you, what made it worse was that there was not a clean sheet between your body and the duvet.
As my partner said, the redeeming factor was the sumptuous Lebanese Messe, it was absolutely fantastic.
Had to pay £4 extra for cooked breakfast which was not especially good value, never had to pay extra anywhere that I have been before.
Could not understand why you had to pay an extra £20 for staying at the week end either as there were only 2 other couples in the Hotel.
Seemed like a good offer from KGB but when you put extra's on of £36 it is not very good value as other hotels in the area were advertising rooms at £20 per night and they looked substantially better.
Saida and Veronica who own the Hotel which personally could be classed more of a guest house are very nice ladies but I think they need to up there levels.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
11  Thank geoffwales
Paul B, Owner at The Richwood, responded to this reviewResponded 25 September 2013

Here we go again!
We are a smoker friendly hotel and smoking is permitted outside. We forbid smoking in the guest rooms and if this gentleman’s room had stunk of old smoke I would accept his comments.
He was given the offer of an upgrade to a larger premiere room for a reasonable £10pn which he declined.
This gentleman told us that he likes everything white; we don’t as this makes us think of hospitals! We have traveled extensively and nowhere does one find a sheet to cover you under duvets - I always take one with me! He omitted the fact that his wife had said clearly that the bedding smelt fresh and clean - which it is!
On arrival and payment of the supplements he admitted he had read the fine print (which you MUST do when you buy a deal!) and he paid without complaint. All supplements are written clearly on the deal.
Maybe geoffwales should go for the £20pn guesthouses, there are many in Torquay; firstly as soon as he knocks on the door he will be informed that the £20 rooms are sold; secondly when he pays his £45-£65 for the room he will probably find it is NOT En-suite and the rooms are even smaller and certainly not as clean. But please do go there next time, geoffwales!
I reiterate, the Richwood is a licensed B&B with many facilities, not a hotel.
I am glad to be able to say: THANK HEAVEN not all non-profit cheap deal buyers are as knit-picking as geoffwales or our life during the winter season would become hell!
Shame he found the breakfast not especially good value, most people rave about them!
We are happy he enjoyed his meal.

Reviewed 23 September 2013

Saida and Veronika are the perfect hosts. Even tho we turned up a day early we were welcomed with no fuss. Spotless clean room gorgeous food especially the Mezza yum... Very friendly women always checking everything is ok,highly recommended 5* all the way

• Stayed: September 2013
richwoodtorquay, Owner at The Richwood, responded to this reviewResponded 24 September 2013

Thanks for the great review, glad you were happy and we are looking forward to your next visit!

Reviewed 5 September 2013

Saida & Veronica were amazing hosts, nothing was too much trouble. We stayed for 3 nights. They cooked us a sumptuous Lebanese mezze, which we did not want to finish! Breakfast was delicious every morning and there was a lovely atmosphere around the place. We made use if the great pool, which was wonderfully refreshing after a hot day.
We cannot give enough praise for this great little place. It is not swanky but is a real homely, friendly place and we loved it....we will definitely be back.

• Stayed: August 2013
richwoodtorquay, Owner at The Richwood, responded to this reviewResponded 10 September 2013

Thanks for the glowing review and we look forward to the next time....

Reviewed 28 August 2013

Just returned from a three night holiday staying at the Richwood.
I stay a lot in Hotels and B&B's with my work but this was the smallest room I have ever stayed in (including singles) and made spending any time in the room, apart from sleeping, not that pleasant. I paid £80 per night for a couple sharing, which whilst not a fortune is far from the cheapest I have paid for much nicer rooms.
I had hoped to get some work done online whilst on holiday but despite the advertised wi-fi my laptop and my wife's Ipad and Iphone all were all unable to get a strong enough signal to get online. We never usually encounter any problems. I tried to get online in the hall of the hotel and the owners reponse when I said that I could not get a signal was "no-one else has had any problems" end of discussion!
There was no room for a table in the room to work at anyway so it scarcely mattered.
Most of the major TV channels also had signal problems so reading was the best entertainment option.
The shower room was also too small for comfort and the tiny handbasin could not be used properly for face washing or shaving because of bashing ones head on the glass shelf above it.
There was a lot of road noise and also noise from the other front bedrooms the walls were very thin making us whisper to each other at night when we spoke for fear of disturbing other guests.
There were other irritations If you wanted (to pay for) a cooked breakfast they needed to know the night before, never come across that before. Returning to the Hotel at night it was always in darkness due to motion sensor lights, which whilst very eco freindly is not particularly welcoming.
On one night we wanted to take a bottle of wine back but my wife reminded me that we werent allowed as there was no food or drink to be taken back to the room as the Hotel was licensed.. but when we arrived back at 9.15 pm all the lights were off in the foyer and bar no-one was around and we didnt feel inclined to disturb anyone.
There was no means to dry wet towels in the room and to exchange them for new generated a surcharge, as did providing a towel for use by the pool.
There was a slight but unmistakable smell of stale cigarette smoke in the halls and stairways which wasn't very nice.
There were a few other small irritations which I won't go into but the general impression we recieved was that we were in someone else's house or a small b&b not a Hotel.
Having said all this the owners were perfectly friendly and welcoming and apart from the cigarette smell it seemed clean.
I have read the other reviews and note that bad reviews do seem to be dismissed by the owner as some personal failing of the reviewer,
Otherwise we had a great holiday Dartmoor is fabulous.

Room Tip: Apparently they have bigger and better rooms,
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
24  Thank Candanski
richwoodtorquay, Owner at The Richwood, responded to this reviewResponded 30 August 2013

My first reaction to this review was to ask readers to compare it with other reviews and form their own opinion… sometimes pepper in the soup can add to the flavour!
However, on second reading, I realised there are some points I feel I HAVE to address.
1. The small, standard double room: yes, their room is small but very clean, comfortable and inexpensive even at peak season prices.
2. WiFi: Being a thick walled Victorian mansion, we are aware that we have very bad reception for mobile phones and pads; however, we have invested a considerable amount of money to give our guests FREE WiFi FOR LAPTOPS AND NOTE-BOOKS, sometimes we have had to re-boot to improve reception, which was not the case this particular time.
Did I say “no-one else has had any problems" NO! I said (after asking other guests): “all our other guests are able to log on, my apologies, I do not know what more I can do” and the gentleman was asked daily if he was able to connect and he indicated there had been no further problem…
3. TV reception; never had a complaint before, just checked in their room and the Freeview is working perfectly…
4. Breakfast: their arrangement included an “as much as you can eat” basic breakfast. Cooked full English is provided on request for a supplementary £5; it is delicious and has been highly praised (down the road the Travel Lodge charges £9!).
Ordering the night before? Well, we are only two people and sometimes more than 30 guests; we are organised and our guests seldom have to wait longer that 10 minutes… need I say more?
5. Lights: in the reception hallway we have a table lamp which is left on all day; I switch it off before I go to bed, which is often very late. The lights come on immediately, with no delay, as people move around.
6. The bar and alcohol in rooms:
- We do not allow TAKE AWAY FOOD at the Richwood, for obvious reasons.
- We do however inform guests on arrival that WE HAVE NO PROBLEM WITH OUR GUESTS IF THEY WISH TO DRINK PRIVATELY BOUGHT ALCOHOL IN THEIR ROOMS; what we do not accept is if THEY DRINK IT IN PUBLIC AREAS OF THE RICHWOOD, which we feel is fair.
- We are two people running a large, licensed B & B with a swimming pool and hot spa; needing some R&R (!) and we take Monday and Thursday evenings off; the bar and Bistro are shut at 6pm. On other days it is open all day - Mondays and Thursdays too - for as long as people want to have a drink. This couple walked past the bar several times on Sunday and Tuesday evening; they showed no indication of wanting to join other guests who were enjoying a drink in our lovely little snug bar. What else can I say…?
7. We change towels after three days, we are not the Ritz, and we do not charge Ritz prices. If guests want to change more often we charge 50p. Pool towels cost 50p. Terrible eh?
8. We are a smoker friendly hotel, no smoking of course in the guest rooms but we do have designated areas outside for smokers; maybe the smoke drifts back into the Richwood sometimes….
9. We are a large, licensed B & B: the Richwood was a hotel in the past, but not today. We do not have 24 hrs. or room service ergo: NOT A HOTEL.
We thank Candanski for his review. We are also VERY THANKFUL that he will not be returning to the Richwood.

Reviewed 9 August 2013

Family of four returned from mini break today. Very relaxing quiet and peaceful. Really lucky witht the sunshine and poolside a sun trap. Only drawback was that the pool was not heated. Food good and made to feel welcome and comfortable.

We will definitely return and venture out of Torquay alittle more next time.

Room Tip: We had family room at back of property. Spacious and peaceful.
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
richwoodtorquay, Owner at The Richwood, responded to this reviewResponded 10 August 2013

Thank you for your review. Since the weather has been so warm, heating the pool when the water is 23 degrees seems unnecessary... but maybe that seems cool... sorry!

Reviewed 4 August 2013

Booked late, never been in a hotel alone with my wife , usually been on family hold but kids all grown up so this was the first time away without them. What great hosts very welcoming and jolly. Room was great very comfortable with the bonus if a new bed :-)
Breakfast to die for. But most of all a great feeling of home from home. Thanks to Sadia and Veronica . Will defo go again. Oh better than a four star any day.

• Stayed: August 2013
1  Thank Nbry64

Thanks for the praise! We were happy to have had you here and look forward to the next time!

Reviewed 4 August 2013

My partner and I stayed here on a 2 night voucher deal in June. Our room was very small, possibly half of a larger room? The twin beds were comfy but no room to manoeuvre at all. Apart from the beds the only other pieces of furniture were a wardrobe and dining room type chair. The bathroom was also tiny and great care had to be taken not to bash the sink with the shower door when going in and out. Being at the front of the hotel the room was also very noisy with constant traffic using the busy road. We were lucky with the weather in June, but could not open the window due to the noise and had to rely on the tiny window in the bathroom. We did try the pool, but it was freezing, I'm sure it would have warmed up through July with the very hot weather. Breakfast has to be ordered the night before but was ok. We have stayed in several B & B's and hotels in Torquay, Babbecombe and Paignton over the years as it is one of our favourite areas, but I don't think we will return to this one.

Room Tip: Choose a room facing the pool for less road noise.
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank DDIANA
richwoodtorquay, Owner at The Richwood, responded to this reviewResponded 6 August 2013

All our non-profit deals are for our standard rooms - which are small, but adequate. All guests using the deals are offered an up grade for £15 a night, which Diana chose not to opt for. When they were here the pool was heated to 25 Celsius - it was the weather that was cold!
We are sorry they did not enjoy their time here.