“Lovely Hosts, Lovely place!!!”
Review of The Richwood

The Richwood
Ranked #50 of 86 Hotels in Torquay
Reviewed 27 October 2013

As somebody of forty years of age its fair to say i have stayed at a fair few places in my life.... home & abroad. The best of them leave you feeling very happy, happy about your choice, happy that you got a good deal and feeling good that you met some lovely characters along the way.

The Richwood gave me, my partner & our 5 year old daughter all of this. Veronica and Saida were Lovely, they were warm people and made you feel so welcome instantly upon arriving at their venue that you felt you had known them for years. ( rare these days i feel )

The venue itself had so much character, the decor, the smell of the place as soon as you walk in was Amazing! due to the lebanese food that they cook in their "Bistro Bar" was instantly noticeable.

The beds were as good as our own, we had a great nights sleep, the shower was also Hot if needed, the facilities were endless......., parking, restaurant, bar, outdoor heated pool, ( warm ), heated outdoor Hot Tub, games room, TV with dvd player, its fair to say our daughter loved it.

I have to mention their " Bistro Bar ", where your hosts will cook you Lebanese food, ( Saida is lebanese ). Its " Mouth watering ", just check out their feedback thats all i'll say.

Yes you have lots of choice of places to stay when you go to the English Riviera in Torquay BUT consider this before you decide and commit to pay.... , do you want value for money, do you want to be made to feel special, do you want to leave a place wishing that you didn't have to go home..? If this is the case, ( and lets be honest we all want to feel like that don't we ), then this is one or those "few gems" out there that will give you this feeling.....THE RICHWOOD.

Yeah i know......We Loved It, Thank you Veronica & Saida hope to see you both again soon x x x

Mark. Emma, Megan Johnston 26/102013

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Emma C
richwoodtorquay, Owner at The Richwood, responded to this reviewResponded 28 October 2013

Dear Mark, Emma and Megan... it was please getting to know you. we are happy that we met all your expectations and that you enjoyed your stay... come again SOON!

Reviewed 27 October 2013

We stayed at the Richwood for 3 nights. It was very clean.
We found Saida and Veronica to be lovely and welcoming. They made us feel part of the family. Every day they would ask us how we slept and how we would spend our day.

We had dinner two nights and the food was exceptional. Being foodies ourselves we appreciated the time, love and effort that went into it. Especially as I am vegetarian. My husband is a meat eater. Breakfast was very good too.

We would certainly stay again. Would be nice to come back in the summer and make use of the swimming pool.

Cathy and Steve

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Cathy K

We are so happy that you enjoyed all the Richwood has to offer - except of course the pool! Come back in the summer, we would love to see you both again!

Reviewed 21 October 2013

Apologies for the lateness of this review, too many holidays, too little time to write the reviews. :-)
We stayed here in July for two nights. We were greeted on arrival by Veronica and Saida, they were both very pleasant and Saida showed us to our room. It was most definitely the smallest hotel room we have ever stayed in - and we tend to stay at a hotel at least once a month. The room had a bed and a dressing table with a cupboard sized room on the side where the shower was. There was a foot of space either side of the bed and another 12 to 14 inches at the bottom of the bed before you hit the dresser. We don't go on holiday to stay in our room so it wasn't the end of the world (thankfully). Then we saw the hotel info folder, which we dived into in order to find out about bus routes, taxi prices etc. This was where we found the long, long, long list of 'what you can do and what you can't do'. I had seen other people mention it in their reviews but wasn't quite prepared for what we saw. To be perfectly honest we found it hilarious, for the entire two days we joked about them. 'Sweetheart, are you sure you are allowed to put your left shoe on before your right? I'm sure the rules forbid that!'
Breakfast was also quite a strange affair! The man serving was quite loud and in your face, telling daft jokes instead of allowing you to eat in peace. I'm sure he meant well, and I'm equally sure that some people would like this kind of over familiarity but it just wasn't our cup of tea. Breakfast consisted of helping yourself to cereal and toast - all very standard, as well as fruit juice. Trouble was the glasses provided for the juice were large shot glasses so you had to get 4 or 5 refills in order to get a normal sized portion. Normally in a B and B there is a large selection of jam/marmalade single portion packets to choose from......not here.....your table had what you were given - 4 pkts of jam - just luck of the draw which ones you got. Obviously we could have asked for other flavours, I'll eat anything so I just ate what I was given, I just found it an odd way of doing things. The cooked breakfast was ok, but again the plates were so small that we had to have our fried egg on a separate plate as there was no room on the standard plate.
I probably sound really picky and I don't mean to be - none the the things mentioned spoiled our trip in any way - we just found the experience rather unusual. If I were to visit Torquay again (which to be honest I wouldn't as I found the place quite tacky and depressing) for the money spent I would book the Travelodge across the road - cheaper and with much larger rooms.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
9  Thank Kyla P
richwoodtorquay, Owner at The Richwood, responded to this reviewResponded 23 October 2013

I wish to thank Kyla_Taff for her review. WOW! I think she must be a part time “professional reviewer”, she certainly has written a lot! Still, we are sorry that she found the Richwood to be so bizarre and rule-ridden. We hope it did not spoil her stay in Torquay more than Torquay itself did!
What a strange world we live in! Review writing is good, I suppose, however I find it quite depressing when the reviewers exaggerate their comments in deliberate attempt to try and cause damage to someone’s business, someone’s livelihood… I suspect that Kyla_Taff has an axe to grind…
Even odder to us is the fact that she writes her review just after we received the 2013 English Riviera & South Devon Bronze Tourism Award for Excellence in Customer Service…
I take her all her comments on board; however I have to repudiate some of the more damaging statements, in an attempt to save our reputation and reassure those who have not yet been to visit the Richwood:
- Yes, our standard rooms are small and our prices reflect this.
- I cook the breakfasts and have never served a fried egg on a separate plate. She definitely dreamt this critique…
- The room info-folder has not before been mentioned in a review…
- Even more interesting, Kevin, the man she referred to as serving breakfasts ,was no longer working with us in July… hmm most odd… maybe he sneaked back in when Kyla_Taff was having breakfast and we were not looking?
- By the way, the Travel Lodge rooms are not much bigger than the room Kyla_Taff occupied, and twice the price in July!
It is unfortunate that hotels and B&Bs have to ask some guests to behave in a reasonable manner. We developed our philosophy after a year of repeating ourselves to the less well behaved guests (who, thank heaven are only a tiny of fraction of the sum…) and we decided to write down the basics… at least we are clear about our house rules; … and so this is the so called ‘long, long, long list of what you can do and what you can't do', at the end of the Guest Information folder in each room:
A few things that we expect:
• Please do not bring take-away food to your room.
• No noise on the terrace after 10pm!
• No verbal abuse of staff or other guests. We will evict you without refund if you are abusive or use foul language..!
• The Richwood is licensed. We therefore politely request that you do not bring alcoholic drinks into public areas of the Richwood.
• Please do not use the towels in your room for the pool, we have pool towel available for use for 50p in reception if needed.
A few things that the law demands:
• Children under 16 years of age must be accompanied by an adult in all areas of the Richwood at all times.
• Children under 16 years of age are not allowed the bar areas.
• Physical assault will be prosecuted.
• Excessive drinking is not allowed.
• No Smoking inside the Hotel.
• Should you be fortunate enough to appear younger than 21, the law states that we demand ID proof of age if drinking alcohol in the Richwood.
Poor Torquay and poor Richwood, we will never see Kyla_Taff again (we can’t remember seeing her last July either!)… We can hardly hold back our tears…

Reviewed 16 October 2013

The Richwood is highly recommended. The premises are clean and well maintained. The rooms are correctly laid out and clean with nice facilities. Swimming pool and games room is an added bonus - the pool was clean and pool area very welcoming.
The food was well prepared and most enjoyable. Veronica and Saida are great hosts, warm, welcoming and faultless with their service. The location is perfect for access to Torquay Harbour (few mins by taxi) and note, the no.12 bus stops outside and will take you conveniently in the other direction to Paignton & Brixham. Perfect for our tour of Torbay.
All in all, we highly recommend The Richwood!

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank dean m
richwoodtorquay, Owner at The Richwood, responded to this reviewResponded 17 October 2013

My thanks to Dean for his kind words. We are happy that we are doing it right and that in doing so, we are living up to the Bronze" Excellency in Customer Service" Award we recently received from the English Riviera. We look forward to the next time, Dean and Janet!

Reviewed 11 October 2013

I only recently stayed last weekend (5th October) with my boyfriend and his parents. We had two standard rooms, and even though they may be small (you need to appreciate its a Victorian building and they work with what they have very well) it was very clean and homely. Yes it may be a little dated, however you need to remember it is Torquay, a seaside town where this b&b fits in perfectly.

Sider and Veronica are the most welcoming people, and you would not get such service in a clinical travelodge or premier inn. I have personally travelled all over the world (only came back from Thailand last month) and very rarely do you receive such hospitality. The Meze was amazing! Sider cooks it all herself, along with breakfast. I only had the cereal and toast as I am not a big eater (my boyfriend and his dad had full cooked breakfasts and everything looked yummy, including the poached eggs which were cooked to perfection)

They do have a dog who is very well behaved and you never see any hairs or smells anywhere.

I don't know why people complain so much when they need to remember that this is someone's home they are criticising and not some chain hotel.

It may not be what some people like, but they should find somewhere else if they want cold and unwelcoming.

I looked through their guest book and there are so many good reviews, not all of them are on here.

I would thoroughly recommend staying here to anyone, and will be going back again next year :)

Rachel (the nurse!)

• Stayed: October 2013
1  Thank Rheyes2420
richwoodtorquay, Owner at The Richwood, responded to this reviewResponded 12 October 2013

Thank-you Rachel, for your kind words! By the way, we both cook for the Bistro and take turns at cooking breakfast!
We are looking forward to the next time already!

Reviewed 11 October 2013 via mobile

I came from quite a long way to see the beautiful torqay and from there some of my friends recommended me to stay at The Richwood. I strongly disagree with people! I find saida and veronica very friendly and respectful. The rooms there are very clean plus it smells like home. It really does. I loved the experience there and hoped to stay for more. LEBANESE cuisine is to die for, recommend a lot of you to try it! The price is reasonable especially in a high season! Food is delicious! Rooms are clean! I love it and will visit The Richwood again..♥

• Stayed: September 2013
1  Thank Dudu_ak

Come back soon Huwaida, it was great having you here... we know to appreciate genuine reviews from lovely guests!

Reviewed 28 September 2013 via mobile

On arrival, I witnessed an exceptionally warm welcome. The room was spacious, with a great view. The hotel in general was maintained to a very high standard. The food was amazing, something. A culinary delight that was great value for money, both breakfast & evening meal. We will definitely book to go there again. Many thanks to Veronika & Saida
.............................................................................................................,

• Stayed: September 2013
2  Thank Darren L
richwoodtorquay, Owner at The Richwood, responded to this reviewResponded 1 October 2013

Thank you Darren, you were the perfect guests. Looking forward to the next time!