“Great stay in a freindly B&B”
Review of The Somerville

The Somerville
Ranked #8 of 148 Torquay B&B and Inns
Reading, United Kingdom
“Great stay in a freindly B&B”
Reviewed 22 April 2012

Stayed here over the Easter weekend and had a great time. Very friendly reception and owner. very nice room, spacious with good bathroom and facilities. Very clean with great little additional touches like sweets in the room and Easter eggs for all and a great breakfast too. The owner has great suggestions for restaurants and bars which I suggest you follow and they all proved right. We had a fun stay and would definitely return

Room Tip: All rooms are good, but only one family room I think
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (251)
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 20 April 2012

I traveled to The Somerville with my boyfriend after a colleague at work could no longer go. I could not fault this B&B in any way. We were greeted by Grant (I think) and we were shown where the fresh milk and freshly baked cookies were before being taken to our room. Such a comfortable, friendly, hospitable place. We were also advised on the best places to eat and drink, seeing as we were there for the Easter Break. I seriously cannot fault this B&B at all and I and my boyfriend have traveled extensively throughout the world. The customer service was second to none, and I loved the fact that on Easter Sunday there were so many easter eggs and chocolates laid out on the table near the front door in a wonderful presentation that my boyfriend thought he'd gone to heaven (unfortunately I'm not much of a chocolate eater so he had my share!) . Please don't hesitate to book the Somerville..... you will not be disappointed.

Wells
Reviewed 19 April 2012

This is one hotel that is not being exagerated about on trip advisor. It is supremely comfortable, recently modernised and the rooms are very impressive. The staff could not be more helpful, we followed their recomendations on local restaurants and were never disappointed. The breakfasts were fantastic and with low food miles guilt free! The hotel is just a few minutes walk from Torquay harbour and there are plenty of local attractions to keep you busy. I will definately be staying again

Room Tip: Ask for the somerville suite
Staffs. UK.
Reviewed 19 April 2012

I couldn't really fault this place, Great location, great service, nice room and fantastic breakfast.
What makes a hotel stand out in a crowded market is good management and attention to detail, this place is well run and someone has paid a great deal of attention to the detail. The greeting was excellent, I was taken to the "Garden Suite" and every detail of the room(s) explained.The hospitality tray was great, and fresh cookies were available in the foyer, I loved the oversize bath and complete with TV, and the bed was amazingly comfortable.The breakfast was one of the best I have ever had in a hotel. I stay in hotels most weeks, and I usually can't wait to check out, but with this one I honestly wanted to stay for the week !.
Brilliant - get the next train to Torquay !

• Stayed April 2012, travelled on business
Divasoulqueen
Reviewed 18 April 2012

My partner treated me to a few days in Devon to celebrate the above. We brought along our 5 month old son too! They supplied a lovely travel cot with clean bedding, that my son simply loved! My partner honestly, could have not done better! I have to say that The Somerville was the best B&B I've EVER stayed at. It was first class service all the way. From our greeting (which informed us of complimentary cookies) to the suite we stayed in and the breakfast in the morning. I could not fault this establishment if I tried. The decor is flawless, they've thought of every item you could possibly need. The finishing touches in the bathroom were so welcomed. Having stayed in a suite, there was TV in the bathroom, which is the epitome of luxury in my book. The breakfast was superior to any breakfast weve eaten (and we've eaten a few) everything was quality, and every mouthful had me saying 'Mm mm, good'. You will NOT be disappointed with your stay here, don't hesitate. Book. We shall definitely return when our little fella is a little older.

Room Tip: Go for a suite if you want that 'extra bit'
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
Surrey
Reviewed 17 April 2012

This Hotel far outdid itself in our estimation.The staff were all so helpful and polite,the breakfast was excellent and the standard of the rooms was nothing short of superb.
We followed the recommendations of our host and visited three restaurants in the area,"Jasmines" Thai cuisine, "Ocean" Indian and "Jingles" Texmex, all provided excellent food at reasonable prices. Our particular favorite was "Jingles" where we eventually managed to finish an enormous portion of seared tuna on a bed of black bean mash with stir fried vegetables!!
Back to the Somerville, the breakfast choice was varied and of excellent quality and once again the service was superb.
A few weeks ago we stayed for a night at the Ritz in London which was amazing, as you would expect it to be. The Somerville was a minature version of the Ritz ,within the confines of its small yet cosy interior it provided a level of service far and above what you would normally expect from a small hotel and at the same time the informalness made the experience all the more relaxing.

1 Thank RogetSurrey
Bristol.
Reviewed 16 April 2012

This is the 4th we have visited the Somerville,it just gets better with each visit.
One would be hard pressed to find any to better the Somerville.From arrival to
vacating nothing was to much trouble by all the staff.The room was exellent
spotlessly clean, could not fault anything.
WELL DONE THE SOMERVILLE.

Room Tip: You won't beat this one.