I called The Somerville late afternoon on a Thursday looking for a last minute deal for the following night and The Somerville did not disappoint - we got a great deal for the Junior Suite with the courtyard, a beautiful room.
On arrival Grant made us feel really welcome, he gave us a map and highlighted places to go. The B&B is set in small but very well tended and beautiful gardens which they have obviously worked hard on. There is a car park to the rear which is excellent - close and free for guests. The interiors are opulant but not garish, good quality and a high hotel standard. The cleanliness is to such a high standard, I can't stress enough how impeccable the place is - especially for a building that is otherwise fairly very ordinary (i.e. not listed or of any such character). They've made this place a little hideaway paradise of luxury.
We spent much of our time out of the hotel but the time we spent in the room was extremely comfortable with all of our needs at hand. The in-room tea and coffee also included decaf coffee (I can't drink caffinated coffee) so to have offerings other than just regular tea and coffee was a bonus. Wi-fi has good signal too - another good bonus.
Leaving the best until last....the breakfast was one of the best I've had, especially for a B&B. The room itself is light and airy and has a view down towards town. The buffet is healthy and fresh and the cooked choices are hard to find something that's missing. My husband and I both had eggs on toast (scrambled for him, poached for me), there's a choice of breads (not just white or brown), the eggs were cooked perfectly and were really fresh and tasty. Andy could not have been more accomodating for breakfast, we also overheard some veggies behind us, they didn't want what was on offer but a mix of stuff which Andy was only too happy to do.
We only stayed one night and if the following morning had given us sunshine we may have been tempted to stay another night impromtu but we left - and we will return!
PS sorry for some of the photos not being the right way around - TA uploaded them that way?!
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The Somerville has many accolades including Devon B&B of the year for 2012/13 and Southwest B&B of the year for 2011. Centrally located with its own private car park and grounds. Choose from a standard room or lovely Deluxe rooms and spacious Suites; it's the ideal choice for both business travellers and leisure guests wanting a relaxing luxury break. The Somerville offers guests free parking and free wifi and extended breakfast times at weekends.Recently voted In Trivagos top 10 B&B`s in UK for value for money ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Ebookers, Expedia, Hotels.com, TripOnline SA, Priceline, Traveltool, S.L.U., Evoline ltd, HotelQuickly and Cancelon so you can book your The Somerville reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- The Somerville Hotel Torquay
- Somerville Hotel Torquay
- The Somerville Torquay, Devon