“Torquay Gem - A Real Find”
Review of The Somerville

The Somerville
Ranked #6 of 149 Torquay B&B and Inns
Reviewed 9 December 2010

The Somerville is an outstanding 'bijou' hotel. We really enjoyed a wonderfully relaxed stay with my brother and his wife, which began with a warm and friendly greeting, punctuated with good humour and an obvious desire to please. The excellent service was matched by very high quality rooms that were individually well-appointed and tastefully furnished to a very high standard with obvious attention to detail and cleanliness. Advice for guests on where to dine pulls no punches and is informative, amusing and helpful. The breakfast room is elegant, comfortable and breakfast itself is an absolute pleasure. Having stayed in accommodation all over the world, I have seldom been made to feel more welcome than in this litle gem of a place. Unreservedly recommended and we will definitely be going back.

• Stayed: December 2010, travelled as a couple
There are newer reviews for The Somerville

Reviewed 7 December 2010

We stumbled across The Somerville after being disappointed with a chain hotel up the road which was very disappointing, and found the most wonderful room I've ever stayed in for the same price. Adam and the team always go above and beyond to make you feel welcome and the rooms are beautiful. I didn't want for anything during my stay, and I especially loved the little fridge in the hall which had a supply of fresh milk, as well as biscuits and cakes you could help yourself to! Thanks for a fantastic stay at The Somerville, I'm looking forward to many more.

• Stayed: September 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 27 November 2010

This hotel is unique for sure. Lovely furnishings, such a comfy bed..just like being at home. Softest pillows ever! Beautiful music playing on the radio as I was shown into my room. Lovely sweets left by bedside..liquorice allsorts (my favourite) and jelly babies! Such class and quality for such a great price. Lovely breakfast, lovely everything! Well done Adam and Grant. You are incredible!

• Stayed: November 2010, travelled solo
Reviewed 17 November 2010

If you want a quite retreat this is the place to be, staff very friendly and knowledgeable about the surroundings area, where to go for great dinning and entertainment and the hotel always looks well maintained

• Stayed: November 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 16 November 2010

My husband surprised me by booking the Somerville for a special birthday but I needn't have worried. Upon arrival we were shown to our room which was spectucular with the look of a boutique hotel and with all mod cons including an ipod docking station and 3 TV's!. The luxury of this hotel room was such that the bathroom had a roll top bath and even had a TV with remote control positioned so that you could relax in the bath while watching your favourite programmes! They kindly provided a bottle of champagne on the house for my birthday and also had fresh milk and individual cakes for hotel guests so that you could really feel at home. They kindly recommended local restaurants for our evening meal in the centre of Torquay which we accepted and had a wonderful time. The breakfast the following morning was wonderful and every taste was catered for and the outlook from the breakfast room was delightful. I must say that this hotel is truly wonderful and we have already booked again next year for my husband's birthday.

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 15 November 2010

As a businessman who stays in all sorts of levels of hotels and bed and breakfast establishments, I was very pleased to discover this hotel in a quiet area of Torquay. I sometime wonder if certain hotel owners wish their place to be discovered, as the signage is often so poor ~ not so The Somerville, a clear and well cited sign greets you as you approach the hotel. There is a good size off-road gravel car park and automatic lighting to guide your way to the hotel entrance.
I was greeted by 'Grant' who welcomed me warmly and, once my booking had been confirmed, showed me to my room ( pointing out the free fresh milk for drinks and cookies on the way).. The rooms are as shown in the pictures, very tastefully furnished and spotelessly clean ~ exactly what you would hope for.
A well laid out hotel information folder proved to be very helpful. The extensive information/reviews on local placed to eat was excellent (and accurate as I discovered later) and information on how to use the free wireless Internet access clearly shown.
A very comfortable bed aided my sleep and a refreshing shower in the well equipped bathroom, started the day well. This was followed by an excellent breakfast (full range of choice foods) ~ All in all, this was an all positive stay ~ derfinitely recommended.

• Stayed: November 2010, travelled on business
Reviewed 14 November 2010

What can I say, stopped here about three or four years ago and loved the hotel. Went back for a short stay and could not believe it was the same place. The transformation was overwhelming. The rooms are stunning and attention to detail seems to be the key. From the time we arrived to the time we left out every requirement was catered for. The rooms are superb and the breakfasts are restaurant standard. Our only complaint was the hotel was fully booked so we could not stop longer. Will book earlier next time. Thanks again....

• Stayed: November 2010, travelled as a couple