“Great stay at The Yardley”

Yardley Manor Hotel
Ranked #50 of 87 Hotels in Torquay
Reviewed 13 March 2012

Arrived Fri.evening 9th to Tues 13th Mar. Warm welcome from Steve and Jackie - in fact all staff were friendly throughout our stay. Great cooked breakfast with help-yourself to as much toast and juice as you like. Short walk to all amenities. Their own car park a bonus. Unfortunately we had to leave a day earlier due to work but would certainly stay again. Mr & Mrs S - Glastonbury, Somerset

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank kevins847
steve076388, Owner at Yardley Manor Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 14 March 2012

Kind regards
Jackie & Steve

There are newer reviews for Yardley Manor Hotel

Reviewed 5 March 2012

We found the Yardley Manor Hotel from the Expedia website. After reading many reviews here on Tripadvisor it all sounded so perfect..what could go wrong.
We booked 2 nights for 2 adults in a double/king size with sea views for the 2/3/12 to 4/3/12. On arrival we went to the reception to check in. A member of staff spoke to us and asked if we were booked in for a twin room. I told her we had booked for a double/king room with Expedia.com.
We both felt that she mentioned a twin room, as she was`nt expecting us to be two men..I did check before booking the hotel to make sure it was a "Gay Friendly" hotel, so I wonder how true that actually is?.
We were taken to our room by another member of staff, no friendly chat such as "how was your journey" or "Have you been to Torquay before" etc.
We finally made to our room, we were fairly happy with it. A good size, well heated room, but the en-suite was quite cramped and also cold.
The weather on arrival was thick fog, so we could`nt see how good the sea views actually were, but we could see everything well in the morning. It was more sea glimpses..and not really worth the extra room cost.
The first night we were woken by loud noises and talking in the room below us in the early hours, we had to bang the floor to let them know.
The second night the room next door woke us up again with people banging around and talking loudly. Someone from the room below ended up bagging the ceiling to shut them up so both night we had been woken in the night.
We left our car in the private hotel car park over the weekend as the hotel had a huge bonus of being so close to the town centre ( 5 minutes walk max ).
On Saturday I noticed that someone had put their foot on the n/s rear bumper of my car which had been parked in the hotel car park. It was covered in two muddy shoe prints which after wiping clean, had left many large scratches.
I booked this hotel also based on the fact it had a private car park and did`nt expect the car to be damaged on site by other mindless hotel guests.
On both mornings we went down for our breakfast. We could sit wherever we wanted and helped ourselves to orange juice and toast ( toasting the bread too forever ).
We found the staff seemed it hard to say a welcoming "Good Morning! " and one girl seemed to take our order while chewing gum !.
The full english arrived on the table..i declined beans or tomatoes..so had 1 egg, 1 sausage, 1 hash brown and bacon. I could`nt eat my hash brown..way too greasy for me!.
No one asked if everything was ok with the breakfast, and we were never asked if we would care for more tea/coffee.
On the morning we left we both decided to just leave the key card on the reception desk and go. I was very surprised that no one was manning the desk as so many guests were leaving that morning, many key cards were to be found left on the reception desk in a pile.
Odd to leave a hotel without being asked if we enjoyed our stay. In fact this has to have been the first time we have just left a hotel with seeing any staff around.
I would`nt bother leaving feedback on a stay at a hotel, but we both realised we had to leave our thoughts on the Yardley Manor Hotel.
Two words some it up " Never Again"

Room Tip: We paid the extra for a sea view, but it may be just as well to go for a standard double as the view...
  • Stayed: March 2012, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Travelwise2012

Hi, I have read this review many times searching for a way to respond and have come to the conclusion that the review inadvertently answered most of the negative review experiences and questions brought up in its own right.
The review is more about the identity and certain needs of individuals being revealed after the guest has left the hotel and highlights the reviewers judgement of other guests together with criticising of staff, It needs be taken into account that we are a Family run hotel and most people who stay at Yardley Manor are very happy with their stay.
Because we are highlighted by lots of trippers as a family run business, I feel that it is unfair to attack our vulnerability in not noticing that a homosexual couple were being booked in. It would have been a very awkward situation if we had taken the couple to their Double room for them to blame us for not realising that they were heterosexual who wanted a twin room, due to it being a pure online booking mistake (which does often happen)!
My son who took the couple to their room is not a chatty happy go lucky sort of guy that the reviewer wanted him to be, he is slightly reserved but very professional, solid in his mannerism and very polite.
We encourage guests not to intervene with anyone being noisy late at night; guests should ring down to the hotels reception phone number and inform us of any nuisance. (Interfering, and getting into a conflict with other guests could inflame a situation and this seems to be the case).
Guests staying are encouraged to participate in the breakfast experience as much as possible, after our introduction advising guests as to where the cereals, juices, toast making facility’s coffee etc. Are, we serve the guest their first hot drink as a matter of courtesy, after that the guests are shown the hot coffee pots and let them have as much coffee/ tea as they like.
Breakfast goes on until 10am!!! And after that we are clearing tables, cleaning, washing up, scrubbing down, taking rubbish out, starting to carry out housekeeping, room cleaning and changeovers from guests who have checked out, there is a push button at reception for check out whereas a duty appointed member of staff will attend to check out or deal any other matters arising. If a guest decides not to press the call button which this guest decided not to and just leave the key card and go, how on earth can we ask if you enjoyed the stay.
If the question is “should someone be fulltime at reception because guests should not be burdened to press a call button for checkout”, My answer has to be that the Hotels prices per night are extremely good value for money and cannot support a fulltime receptionist due to budget, however should guests wish to comment that our hotel really needs a fulltime receptionist rather than wait 15-20 seconds for someone to be in attendance, then we would seriously take the views on board as long as guests are willing to pay for the service not to press a “ bell button”.
Do we really deserve the “terrible” tag.
Regards
Steve (Owner)

Reviewed 4 March 2012

Stayed here during winter months and put up with rooms without net curtains and overpowering paint smells. Now forthcoming season and they don't want to know.
This time my pre-booked named room with price agreed with the proprietress was changed and downgraded without informing me. Emphasis on drinking with locals in the basement pub, an un-professional approach to the hospitality industry. Can't fry crisp bacon, I won't stay again. Derek Henon

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank derek h
steve076388, Owner at Yardley Manor Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 5 March 2012

This reviewer stayed at Yardley Manor Hotel on 3 separate occasions over the winter months, the last being early March, The reviewer re-booked on checkout for his next stay and was always happy with the stay.
The cost for his room per one night including breakfast was £26.
When available on check-in the guest was upgraded Free By the Hotel staff into a more spacious room that had a double bed, even though he was staying alone at NO extra cost (2 single rooms were being decorated at the time). This was not his right; it was the hotels courteous decision.
Single occupancy in a Double room at Yardley Manor is usually £42 per room in a standard room (Or discounted by £10) and this cost was waivered as a good will gesture to the guest. The reviewer was aware of this and commented on his special upgrade and thanked us.
On the reviewers last booking in February He again booked a £26 room (single), however this time on check-in due to the Hotel being fully booked beforehand we were unable to accommodate the reviewer into a double room, we didn’t have one available!!
The reviewer swore at our staff and demanded a double room, He was told that there was not a room available as the hotel was fully booked and that we of course would have done so if there was a room available and that he always took the gamble that a double may not be available when booking a single room allocation, the reviewer became aggressive and threatened staff that if he was not upgraded for free and FIND him a room he would destroy our hotels reputation and place a BAD review on Tripadvisor, basically blackmailing us..
The reviewer was told that we do not except blackmail, we have witnesses to the reviewers outburst at the time and are considering taking legal advice, I have also asked tripadvisor to consider removing the review due to blackmail and highlighting a local hotel competitor.
So far tripadvisor have replied that bad reviews can be taken with a pinch of salt when read alongside a majority of Good reviews!! (Email received 5/3/12).
I would ask all travellers reading this to understand the Hotels point of view on this particular review.

Reviewed 28 February 2012

We decided to go to Torquay on a spur of the moment last week-end. After spending some time in Torquay trying to find a hotel that accepted dogs, someone told us about the Yardley Manor. We were delighted by the warm welcome we received (and very lucky that they had a room available).
Our room was nice, clean and comfortable.
The hotel has a warm and friendly atmosphere. Thoroughly enjoy the cafe and bar there (maybe a little too much!).
It's a great hotel, good value for money, situated in an ideal location.
Would like to thank all the staff for a very enjoyable stay.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank izzy i
Reviewed 28 February 2012

Just returned from a wonderful weekend away at yardley manor.the staff were just amazing and really helpful.friday night was such a laugh with open mic night and music in between, breakfast was great you can help yourself to as much orange juice,coffee ect as much as you like. And then comes the English breakfast which always goes dwn well.got to go to the bar in the afternoon where england played wales in the 6 nations ,had a good and lively amostphere right up to the late hours .only few mins to town and harbour great location cant wait until I return again later this year great stay

• Stayed: February 2012
1  Thank dalelouise
Reviewed 27 February 2012

We only booked this hotel because of the good reviews on this site, Just shows you, dont believe everthing you read, we arrived for our 3 day stay at yardley manor, we were shown to our room which was on the 3rd floor because we had a little dog, I was looking forward to my breakfast, what i got was i big disapointment, we were told breakfast started at 9-30 till 10-30, but when we got to the dining room at 9-30 we were the last to be served,found this to be strange.as we were told 9-30, I sent my wife up to get some toast but no bread,juice on counter no glass, or butter had to ask assistant for everthing, Points out of ten for breakfast have to give 2, The big question is would i stay hear again the answer to that would be no thankyou;

Room Tip: dont take a pet,you will be put in the top room,which is located 32 steps from reception.
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Robert R
steve076388, Owner at Yardley Manor Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 1 March 2012

Hi, you actually stayed in Room 22 on the second floor. So many tripadvisor reviews have commented on how lovely this Room is (please read other reviews); in fact it is looked upon as one of our nicest Rooms, Premium sea view, very spacious and comfortable.
There is no hotel policy to make a dog owners life a misery, we don’t have a 3rd floor?.
I cannot for the life of me understand why you believe that because you had a dog with you that you were shoved away to the top of the hotel and to " top tip" others who might wish to stay here and write "don’t take a pet, you will be put in the top room, which is located 32 steps from reception."
Clearly you have got annoyed and its festered by believing there was some sort of grudge against you and your dog, which has spilled over to breakfast, of which, I wish to give you the proper facts.
On arrival you were asked for your preferred time for breakfast and it was suggested, would 9-30 to 10 be ok, you commented that the time would be fine.
On arrival to breakfast you were met by guests who were having breakfast from 9 to 9-30 (the hotel when very busy try to spread the breakfasts so guests do not suffer too great a time waiting for cooked food).
Staff were getting ready by stocking up the juices and bread/ butter, it’s just that as you turned up at the restocking point you thought everything had gone! It hadn’t and if you had just waited a short time everything would have been restocked.
now that you have been illuminated as to the 2 sittings I hope that you will see things in a different way and understand that the sittings when busy are there so that everyone does not have to wait ages for the cooked food due to the demand and that we were being considerate and not in any way being spiteful.
You stayed for three days, We do have a reception desk and we are there to help with any problems that you might have towards the hotel, I would have wished for you to ask for me and to have a chat to resolve any issues you had, that way I’m sure your stay would have been more satisfying.
I cannot for the life of me see why some persons leave it until they get home from their “away break” to review bad experiences when they actually have the power to change those bad experiences and have a much better holiday break during there stay, (it’s Good to talk).

Your issues are about your perspective that we 3rd classed you because you had a little dog. I have to reply that this certainly is not the case and that hopefully by reading my reply it makes things more transparent and that sometimes things can be taken in completely the wrong way.

Regards
Steve (owner) Yardley Manor Hotel

Reviewed 27 February 2012

I stayed here for a weekend and found this be a very friendly family run hotel. Steve and Jackie made me feel very welcome and couldn't do enough to ensure I enjoyed my stay. My room was spotless as was the en suite, which I was told all guest rooms have. The hotel was only a stone's throw from the sea front, so that I was able to explore the harbour area with all its restaurants, pubs and other attractions on foot. On the Friday night there was an open night mike at the hotel. Some locals brought their guitars down and sang a range of songs, which made for an entertaining evening. On the Saturday, the England v Wales six nations rugby match was shown on a large screen projection television in the hotel's spacious bar - which was so accommodating that a coach party of Welsh fans were driven down to watch the game from another hotel! Steve provided free bar snacks for everyone during the game which contributed to a great atmosphere with lots of friendly banter. I wouldn't hesitate to stay here again, nor to recommend this welcoming hotel to any one else looking to stay in Torquay.

Room Tip: Room 18 has a sea view over looking the harbour.
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled solo