“Verbally abused!!!!”

Yardley Manor Hotel
Ranked #50 of 87 Hotels in Torquay
Reviewed 25 June 2012

The room was dreary and smelt slightly damp due to the shower not having any extractor, the curtains didn’t fit the windows and 2 single beds pushed together do not make for a comfortable sleep. But all of that pales into insignificance following the events of the night of Saturday 23rd June. Faced with a 6 hour journey home on Sunday morning we decided to have an early night and returned to the hotel and to our room just before 11pm. Our room, Number 1, was on the ground floor and below us was the pub that the family run as part of the hotel. The room was vibrating with the noise from the sound system and so after 5 minutes my partner went down to the bar to complain about the level of music and ask for it to be turned down. The music was turned down…..for about 5 minutes when it was turned up even louder.

I then went to the reception to try to summon the attention of the owners to again complain about the level of music. I met with Steve on the stairs and we returned to reception. Steve was drunk, he did not like the fact that we were complaining about his “Party” (6 people in the bar) and clearly thought that people should only come to Torquay to get blind drunk and Party, I have been visiting the South Hams at least 3 times a year for 31 years due to having family in the area. Steve could not be reasoned with, he was invited into our room to listen to the unacceptable level of music and declined and shouted at me “ILL GIVE YOU £200 AND YOU CAN GET THE [--] OUT OF MY HOTEL” It was raining and we did not want to leave at that time of night having no where else to go. The circumstances for us being in Torquay were explained to Steve and we agreed that the music would remain on till 1130. True to his word the music was turned down at that time but could still be heard from the room into the small hours.
If you do decide to book into this hotel make sure that you do not get the ground floor rooms unless you have hearing problems and whatever you do, don’t complain to Steve when he is under the influence unless you as a customer want to be verbally abused.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
8  Thank jo h
Management response:Responded 26 June 2012

Yes the whole hotel staff believed that you would place a bad review but I didn’t expect lies about the events on this particular incident.
Please let me explain the facts from which we saw it.
We had a full hotel on the Saturday evening and the bar was indeed in full swing, I also must say that it was my evening off Duty and was enjoying a drink at the bar, Not Brahms and list mind you… But I had had a few while watching football and later listening to pleasant music, all in the great spirit of things.
From what I saw was an exchange of words from a guest to a member of staff, that member of staff immediately went over to the music and turned it off (the time was 10-50pm).
Immediately there were complaints from guests enjoying the music that their requested music placed in a queue was not going to get played, Staff consulted me of the complaints (one from bedroom one and 6 from upset guests because the music was shut down so abruptly). This was a split second decision from a member of staff, he may have got the decision wrong in hind sight and for this I have to apologise to all guests at the event ( about 25people) including room one.
I made the decision to turn the music back on and made my way to speak to the occupants in room one, on my way I was met with abuse and anger from the people coming from that room .
When you are attacked with abuse and anger I feel that its best to confront the situation with a firm stance and I explained that there were a lot of unhappy guests wanting to hear their requested songs and that all would finish before 11-30, I also suggested that if the guests were unhappy about the decision for the music to continue to play no more than 30 minutes I would be happy to pay back the full amount of the stay (two Nights, (Where the guest got £200 from is not correct, But thanks for saying it),). I also did not swear as the guest is insinuating, If I did I don’t think the guest would have agreed to the extra 6 songs to be played, and that was exactly what happened, the guests from room one were happy with the compromise, however did not turn up for breakfast, It’s a pity because I had arranged for the guests to be given 2 nights complementary voucher for any when in the future as a gesture of my gratitude in putting up with music for 30 extra minutes, But it seems they left in a huff, thus the hotel expecting a bad review. Most of the times we get it right but sometimes incidences occur and you just have to live with it and get on the best you can.
As for the rest of the review I have been in room one and cannot find any signs of dampness and the curtains do fit? The beds are Hotel contract zip and link beds, to the uneducated the beds can be either set as a double or unzipped and utilised as twin beds ( very common these days).

Regards
Steve

There are newer reviews for Yardley Manor Hotel

Reviewed 25 June 2012

Steve, Jackie and family are brilliant hosts, rooms are clean and room 21 has the best bed I have ever slept in, nice quiet clean room, breakfast was lovely every day, close to all amenities and harbour, Thank you Steve and Jackie and hope to see you again soon, from June and Steve (Idiot) Crockenhill Kent.

Room Tip: We stayed top floor room 21 which had the best bed i've ever slept in. Quiet, clean, Steve and J...
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 22 June 2012

Lovely family run guest house. Nice large rooms with a good sea view and very quiet. The pub downstairs has live music which is a great addition, but for those who are worried about noise there is none that I could hear in the room. The location is great for whatever you want, just a few minutes walk to the harbour and multiple restaurants, and near to the main commuting roads if like myself it as business rather than a pleasure holiday.

Overall a very nice place which I would recommend and would stay again if I was down in Torquay. Thanks to all of the family who worked hard from making the rooms exemplary, to the check in and the breakfast which was tasty, to order and plentiful.

• Stayed: June 2012
1  Thank MaiaG66
Reviewed 7 June 2012

Very friendly hotel with great fun atmosphere and excellent public rooms. Definitely great place for teenagers to stay. Spacious, well appointed bedrooms. Internet available in lobby. Excellent parking and great location. Swimming pool a big bonus. Very good food.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank lizzier17
Reviewed 7 June 2012

I brought a team of 16 teenagers to sail in a competition in Torquay and I needed somewhere that we could all stay together within walking distance of the event. The Yardley Manor easily surpassed my expectations: Steve has been a Scout leader so he understands young people and was a superb entertaining host; the downstairs area was great for out team meals and also for evening entertainments; we swam in the pool every night (how cool is that? A school trip to a hotel with a pool that is still within budget!).

Friendly, understanding service at a price we could manage. Warm clean rooms. Bed, breakfast and a choice of evening meals. Evening entertainment. There's even a big bookshelf with secondhand books to borrow.

I strongly recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 6 June 2012

Its taken me some time to write this review as we stayed in October 2011. We had a room at the top of the Hotel with a nice view of the sea. Room was cleaned daily and breakfast was good.

We found a few bars with live music and also did a few boat trips. The hotel also has a bar that is open to residents and public which was a relaxing place to have a drink.

There were a few minor decor issues but as they had only just taken on this lovley old buiding this will be sorted in good time.

Would recommend it for a nice relaxing base to explore torquay.

Room Tip: Choose the superior room with a sea view
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 6 June 2012

nothing fancy on a budget but just good clean nice and affordable

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled solo