“Yardley Manor Revisited”

Yardley Manor Hotel
Ranked #48 of 85 Hotels in Torquay
Reviewed 22 July 2012

My second visit to this hotel, last year the owners had just taken over, with plans to improve, sadly not much has changed, some improvements were made, but plasterboards stacked in the reception/lounge area were not best placed. Breakfast menu (cooked) was limited, only fried eggs, no scrambled, poached, boiled offered. But cereals, various juices, and meat n cheese platter offered. There is a pub/bar downstairs which functions as the breakfast room. The staff were friendly and courteous

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 1 July 2012

We arrived at the hotel and made our way to the unmanned reception where we rang the bell to attract some attention, and after a very short while, out popped a young man who I think from previous reviews, is the owner's son. He was a very pleasant, polite and courteous chap - slightly quiet, but I'm sure that's just his nature and not meant as a critiscism.

He offered to show us to our room and to help carry our bagge, which we declined - but a nice touch, full credit to him. He then gave a brief explanation of meals times, bar location etc.

We paid a (discounted) £60 for a 'premium' room which was a nice size and very light and airy. It was a bit dated however but it had a very comfortable 6' wide bed - which is the 'premium element'. The digital TV was wedged onto a chest of drawers, and could not turn round to face the bed - it so would have been better fitted to a wall instead, Kettle, tea/coffee facilites were available in the room as were an iron and board (plus points for that).

Wi-fi was available in the room for those with laptops and a PC was located by the entrance for guest's convenience and use (well done).

The ensuite bathroom was very nice and had a good shower cubicle. I'm a big guy and even I fitted in comfortably, equally the pressure and temperature of the water was good. The towels provided were nice and soft/fluffy. On a minor point, the shelf next to the sink (for our toiletries) was missing - I suspect that it had a glass one there before, because the brackets were still in place - but it left nowhere to leave your bits and bobs except on top of the cistern.

As I said before, the room did look a bit dated - wood-chip wallpaper and pine furniture. The curtains could have done with some blackout lining too, it got very light in the room from 5 am onwards.

We were disappointed to learn that no evening meal or snacks (except crisps etc) were available and that only breakfast is provided - but hey ho, our fault for not checking in advance.

The bar was quite nice - it would certainly make a great function room. There were the ususal drinks on offer PLUS Real Ales too - wonderful - and served up nicely chilled. The bar prices are VERY good and it won't break the bank.

The bar was manned by the young chap who greeted us on our arrival, and another young lady, they were both very good at their jobs. The bar appears to be frequented mainly by locals, there wasn't much evidence of many guests having a drink when we were there. During the latter part of the evening one of the local lady's got a bit Merry and her language got very loud and coarse - so credit to the barman, he tried to nip it straight away, and with some succuess - and he even changed the music for me when it got a bit "clubby" for our age range too.

Breakfast was served up in during an earlier and tighter window than we're used to, 08:30 to 09:30 bearing in mind that this was a Saturday morning. That said, the young ladies on duty did their jobs very well and even asked the chef to do scrambled eggs for my wife, an option that wasn't on the menu - many thanks. The cooked breakfast is served up as a plated dish from a set menu. On the whole, the English breakfast was adequate+ it tasted nice and was hot, but one sausage, one rasher etc does not make a Full English breakfast (no mushrooms, fresh tomatos or black pudding). In fairness however, fruit juice, cereal and toast was available for guests to help themselves too. Suggestion: Sometime pastries, croissants or fresh fruit would make a nice change to a fry up.

Tip for the breakfast staff however: having worked in the service industry myself, empty plates should be collected when they're walking back to the kitchen empty handed - it clears the guests tables from clutter and saves extra journeys later.

We didn't meet the proprietors but we 'think' we saw them about (busy working I hasten to add).

Our room didn't have a sea view but I'd try and get one next time. The garden and pool look like they would be a sun trap in better weather and the view across the bay is very good. Parking was tight, but we managed to get a place - but not sure if they could accommodate everyone's car if the hotel was full.

So all in all, not bad at all ... yes I would stay here again but feel that something in the price range of £50-55 would be a more appropriate rate - certainly until the rooms have a decorative (strip the wood-chip) make-over.

Room Tip: We had room 11. A corner room with double aspect, but not facing the sea.
2  Thank Denis L
Reviewed 26 June 2012

We we have just had the best weekend at the Yardley Manor Hotel. We were celebrating our wedding anniversary and couldnt have been a better place to go to have fun! The staff ensured we were made welcome and enjoyed our time there! It was just what we wanted when we booked it. Maybe if we'd wanted a quiet hotel with no noise we would have gone somewhere else without a bar downstairs!! We read the reviews! The room was clean and had everything we required. The breakfast was lovely and the hotel was only a few minutes walk from the shops and the sea! If you want a fun time at a reasonable price, we recommend this 100%. We feel like we have known the owners for years and we are already looking into going back again later this year! Well done and thank you Jackie and Steve! We think your hotel is fab!!!

2  Thank Helen T
Reviewed 25 June 2012

The room was dreary and smelt slightly damp due to the shower not having any extractor, the curtains didn’t fit the windows and 2 single beds pushed together do not make for a comfortable sleep. But all of that pales into insignificance following the events of the night of Saturday 23rd June. Faced with a 6 hour journey home on Sunday morning we decided to have an early night and returned to the hotel and to our room just before 11pm. Our room, Number 1, was on the ground floor and below us was the pub that the family run as part of the hotel. The room was vibrating with the noise from the sound system and so after 5 minutes my partner went down to the bar to complain about the level of music and ask for it to be turned down. The music was turned down…..for about 5 minutes when it was turned up even louder.

I then went to the reception to try to summon the attention of the owners to again complain about the level of music. I met with Steve on the stairs and we returned to reception. Steve was drunk, he did not like the fact that we were complaining about his “Party” (6 people in the bar) and clearly thought that people should only come to Torquay to get blind drunk and Party, I have been visiting the South Hams at least 3 times a year for 31 years due to having family in the area. Steve could not be reasoned with, he was invited into our room to listen to the unacceptable level of music and declined and shouted at me “ILL GIVE YOU £200 AND YOU CAN GET THE [--] OUT OF MY HOTEL” It was raining and we did not want to leave at that time of night having no where else to go. The circumstances for us being in Torquay were explained to Steve and we agreed that the music would remain on till 1130. True to his word the music was turned down at that time but could still be heard from the room into the small hours.
If you do decide to book into this hotel make sure that you do not get the ground floor rooms unless you have hearing problems and whatever you do, don’t complain to Steve when he is under the influence unless you as a customer want to be verbally abused.

8  Thank jo h
Management response:Responded 26 June 2012

Yes the whole hotel staff believed that you would place a bad review but I didn’t expect lies about the events on this particular incident.
Please let me explain the facts from which we saw it.
We had a full hotel on the Saturday evening and the bar was indeed in full swing, I also must say that it was my evening off Duty and was enjoying a drink at the bar, Not Brahms and list mind you… But I had had a few while watching football and later listening to pleasant music, all in the great spirit of things.
From what I saw was an exchange of words from a guest to a member of staff, that member of staff immediately went over to the music and turned it off (the time was 10-50pm).
Immediately there were complaints from guests enjoying the music that their requested music placed in a queue was not going to get played, Staff consulted me of the complaints (one from bedroom one and 6 from upset guests because the music was shut down so abruptly). This was a split second decision from a member of staff, he may have got the decision wrong in hind sight and for this I have to apologise to all guests at the event ( about 25people) including room one.
I made the decision to turn the music back on and made my way to speak to the occupants in room one, on my way I was met with abuse and anger from the people coming from that room .
When you are attacked with abuse and anger I feel that its best to confront the situation with a firm stance and I explained that there were a lot of unhappy guests wanting to hear their requested songs and that all would finish before 11-30, I also suggested that if the guests were unhappy about the decision for the music to continue to play no more than 30 minutes I would be happy to pay back the full amount of the stay (two Nights, (Where the guest got £200 from is not correct, But thanks for saying it),). I also did not swear as the guest is insinuating, If I did I don’t think the guest would have agreed to the extra 6 songs to be played, and that was exactly what happened, the guests from room one were happy with the compromise, however did not turn up for breakfast, It’s a pity because I had arranged for the guests to be given 2 nights complementary voucher for any when in the future as a gesture of my gratitude in putting up with music for 30 extra minutes, But it seems they left in a huff, thus the hotel expecting a bad review. Most of the times we get it right but sometimes incidences occur and you just have to live with it and get on the best you can.
As for the rest of the review I have been in room one and cannot find any signs of dampness and the curtains do fit? The beds are Hotel contract zip and link beds, to the uneducated the beds can be either set as a double or unzipped and utilised as twin beds ( very common these days).

Regards
Steve

Reviewed 25 June 2012

Steve, Jackie and family are brilliant hosts, rooms are clean and room 21 has the best bed I have ever slept in, nice quiet clean room, breakfast was lovely every day, close to all amenities and harbour, Thank you Steve and Jackie and hope to see you again soon, from June and Steve (Idiot) Crockenhill Kent.

Room Tip: We stayed top floor room 21 which had the best bed i've ever slept in. Quiet, clean, Steve and J...
Reviewed 22 June 2012

Lovely family run guest house. Nice large rooms with a good sea view and very quiet. The pub downstairs has live music which is a great addition, but for those who are worried about noise there is none that I could hear in the room. The location is great for whatever you want, just a few minutes walk to the harbour and multiple restaurants, and near to the main commuting roads if like myself it as business rather than a pleasure holiday.

Overall a very nice place which I would recommend and would stay again if I was down in Torquay. Thanks to all of the family who worked hard from making the rooms exemplary, to the check in and the breakfast which was tasty, to order and plentiful.

• Stayed: June 2012
1  Thank MaiaG66
Reviewed 7 June 2012

Very friendly hotel with great fun atmosphere and excellent public rooms. Definitely great place for teenagers to stay. Spacious, well appointed bedrooms. Internet available in lobby. Excellent parking and great location. Swimming pool a big bonus. Very good food.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled with family