“Just Right”

Ranked #49 of 89 Hotels in Torquay
Stafford, United Kingdom
“Just Right”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 September 2013

Did a one night stop over on the way down to Cornwall. Have used Travelodge and Premiers before to do the same but much prefer the Yardley . It was our first time here and everything was as promised and expected ( which is nowadays a surprise in itself ). Big room with massive bed and a nice view off to the harbour . All clean and well tended . Looks like a programme of refurb taking place and all going well , Wife dared the pool on a cool evening and it was just right . Breakfast was very harty and served by really nice staff . Couldn't ask for more really and at a price that doesn't break the bank .

Room Tip: Ask for the sea view
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
steve076388, Owner at Yardley Manor Hotel, responded to this review, 12 November 2013
Thank you for your review, although you only stopped for one night you seemed to be able to enjoy what the hotel has to offer, Thank you for mentioning this. look forward to seeing you again.

Best Regards

Steve & Jackie

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (87)
surrey
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 September 2013

Stayed here for one night. Hotel is in much need of updating. Very shabby, dark & gloomy. Our room was spacious and reasonably clean but had chipped wood chip wall paper! The bathroom had been recently refurbished but had a hole behind door in the plastic tiles. The sink had a very strange plug hole that did not work properly.
The breakfast room was gloomy with weird decor!
While we were there the builders were in and out refurbing the toliets, one of which had a hand a scribbled note saying "Don't shut door, unless you want to be locked in!" I climbed around the ladder and builders equipment to get to the toilet.
The hotel itself was in a fairly good location, within walking distance to the harbour and shops.

• Stayed September 2013, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Ange Q
steve076388, Owner at Yardley Manor Hotel, responded to this review, 11 September 2013
Hello folks, well, all I have to say is ”your dammed if you do and your dammed if you don’t”
Criticise that the hotel needs refurbishing and criticise that the hotel is being refurbished!!!!!
And finally,…. oh so you were the person who ignored the sign outside the ladies bar toilets
Saying “closed for refurbishment please use your room toilet while refurbishment works are carried out”.
We had to take up newly laid floor tiles which had been laid that day, the step ladder was there to stop any other tradespersons walking on tiles. Thanks for owning up, the tiler was not a happy bunny but we paid him to do the floor again, also, the door didn’t have a handle on the inside (that was the note you read for other tradesmen) but luckily you used the one that did have a handle, but alas the toilet hadn’t been coupled to the sewer. Never mind stuff happens. Any donations will be gratefully received and a trip to specsavers could save hundreds.
Cheers

Steve (owner)
London, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 September 2013 via mobile

We booked a family room for 3 nights in August. We checked in ok, with a friendly young lady. I was told at the time of booking that they only had room 3 available for my dates and had to pay a little extra as it was a family room. But we got allocated room 1, which was a very tight squeeze! They just shoved a single bed next to a king bed (in a king room) which blocked the entrance to the toilet/shower. We had to push the beds together so we can manage to go in and out of the shower easily. After settling into our room, I tried to have a nap but this was made impossible by noises coming from outside. The room is right next to the reception so I could hear the owner's loud conversations with guests and 3 or 4 different dogs barging in the reception area - the hotel allows dogs to stay! At one point I could hear (from the room) one guest from a nearby room complaining about the high level of noise but the owner dismissed his concerns. A little later, I went to raise my concerns too but was told "I can give you a full refund and you can go and stay somewhere else". Basically he could not be bothered to listen to his guests and his attitude was "you can lump it of sod off! Shocking considering that he knew all BnBs were fully booked during the bank holiday weekend... Back to the room, the beds don't have headboards so the wallpaper is filthy around where people rest their heads. The bedside table lamp is a total disgrace! The plastic case of the lampshade is broken in several places so when lit, it really looks awful. In the toilet, the vinyl floor is broken and falling apart and their solution? Duck tape! They then covered this up with a bathroom mat. This is a family-run hotel/ B&B but he owner's attitude is terrible. He's loud and rude. Some conversations he was having with guests in the restaurant were embarrassing to say the least. The only redeeming thing abut this place is the 2 lovely hardworking ladies in the restaurant who made our stay a little bearable. I would not go back to this hotel, nor would I recommend it to someone else purely because of the owner's lack of respect for his paying guests.

• Stayed August 2013
3 Thank Clem N
steve076388, Owner at Yardley Manor Hotel, responded to this review, 10 September 2013
“Oh No You Didn’t”

Cleme K, you are incorrect and quite cheeky to the point of totally distorting the proper facts in your review because you didn’t get it your way.
You rang up on a special offer that was run on a “deals” website which we placed to fill in 2 night gaps in our hotel rooms during August and so on so that the hotel is run to the maximum efficiency for the summer season, the deal was for £99 for two nights stay including breakfast for two and on top of that we offered you a free 3course meal for 2, while inquiring you were very grateful that we would move things around so that you could also bring a child with you under that deal and although we did not have a family room as requested on the dates given we would accommodate your child on a ground floor room, you were very grateful for this with lots of thank you, thank you coming from your end because of the fantastic deal given to you..
When you arrived and from that instance onwards your attitude changed. you pressed the call button 4 times in 20 seconds and on my arrival gave me a barrage of abuse as you had heard people outside your room and could not sleep due to the commotion while other guests were turning up at the hotel, you said the room was not acceptable and wanted to be moved to a better room,
You were informed that there was no way we could move you due to the hotel being full and that it was only for a little longer that there would be any more commotion as nearly all guests were booked in, you again repeated that it’s not acceptable and at that point I suggested that I was willing to give a full refund if we could not meet your demands and made my way to start the process of a refund,
At that point you changed your mind and accepted that the reception would be less busy from that point on.
When you arrived at dinner you tried to get a free meal for your child as you thought the child’s meal would be included within the package??, a compromise was made for your child’s food and you calmed down. A bottle of wine was also asked for with your meal, you left and it was never paid for. It seemed from our end that you just wanted as much as you could get for as little and if you couldn’t get it then you threw your toys out of the pram. At one point I thought you were going to play the race card game which is something that I cannot tolerate in today’s multi-cultural society.

You say that I was loud and rude at the restaurant and during conversations with other guests I was embarrassing to say the least, from this end from what my staff and I witnessed ( including the two young ladies you praised) how you conducted yourself, it’s you who should be embarrassed.

You took a great deal at £99, took that deal as far as you dare, had a free meal given and had a bottle of wine on us, was rude to staff, abusive and stroppy throughout the stay and then distort the truth in your review, I will always wear my heart on my sleeve and when I feel I need to reply in my honest and truthful manor (which reviewers are now accustomed too), then I will reply as I have done here and will carry on doing so when I feel we the hotel and staff need to reply.

Regards

Steve Thorogood (owner)
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 September 2013 via mobile

We booked in for a night to meet friends, nice big room plenty of space. Staff were friendly and helpful and the hotel is obviously renovating at the moment. Felt sorry for our friends who were there for a week and had a box room very overcrowded for two people and would of said this was a single persons accommodation. Pool is very small but guess ok for a paddle not a serious swimmer.

• Stayed September 2013
Hello, I find it a little bit peculiar to read a review like this and would comment as follows .

The Hotel owners and staff thank you for the praise you have given on friendly and helpful staff and to say the room was nice, big with plenty of space, the room that you booked was via booking .com with non-refundable booking at 10% discount of which I will comment further on later. We think The swimming pool is just the right size for a hotel of our size, serious swimmers should swim out at sea to Brixham and back (5 mile each way) as we can offer this should anyone be willing, I have a boat on standby should any serious swimmer decide half way that it’s not that serious and jump aboard for a nice cup of tea. We can also offer you on a return visit to have a paddle (as you advise) in our swimming pool from one end to the other 9m kidney shape pool which starts at 1m deep and finishes the other end at 1.8m deep, I would enjoy watching this, Seriously though, Thank you for the hotels review.

With that said and moving on. I don’t understand why you want to review your friends decision on what room they were in, for it was your friends who booked the room that they stayed in via hotels.com web site. During their booking they would have had the choice of what type of room they required, the hotel didn’t have any say to what room they would be put in during the booking process, its automatic computer generated on the guests choice and on how much they wish to spend per night, it was your friends choice that they went for a budgeted room for the money they wanted to spend. They paid a lot less per night than what you paid even at the discounted non-refundable rate. So to say you felt sorry for them is possibly not the comment I would like to read if I was one of your friends
We have various standards of rooms which suits everyone’s taste and budget, from our premium sea view to premium, standard, and small budget room, and of course they are priced accordingly, we are happy to provide these rooms whatever type they are, the choice of room is the guests not ours, your friends had that choice and they made that choice, to be honest I feel it’s not fair for you to comment on them or the room. (your friends gave us a lovely thank you card on the day of departure).

Regards

Steve (owner)
Manchester, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 September 2013 via mobile

We stayed for one night as we were en route to Cornwall.It was a great location for being in the centre of everything. We were initially concerned as there is a bar which non residential guests could go to,but we needn't have worried as it was really quiet and no noise at all. I'm glad we only brought our overnight bag into the hotel as we were on the top floor and wouldn't relish the idea of carrying heavy suitcases up the stairs! The room was very clean and bed was really comfy. The staff were all welcoming and breakfast was lovely. Parking was great, off road and no charges. I'd stay here again, but I'd choose a lower floor room if I was staying longer.

Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
Manchester, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 August 2013

Great location, 5 mins walk to harbour, stayed here in superior room with sea view which was quite nice, small view of the sea and over the pool which we used twice with my 11 year old son which he loved, breakfast was nice, bar area ok, some of the hotel could do with being improved which in fairness they are doing so is a bit work in progress, there were no problems with our stay and were made very welcome and were very helpful, we also thought pricing of the superior family room was very good compared to others around the country.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
1 Thank ian420
Bristol, England, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 August 2013

Although when we first arrived, there was a mix up with the booking, the owner was very quick to organise and solve the issue. Once in our rooms the view was amazing, clean, tidy and in good condition. The bed was amazingly comfortable too! The bar staff were very friendly and accommodating. Breakfast is served very early between 8.30-9.30 but is understandable as is family run, food was lovely and never a long wait. Swimming pool was amazing and the view in the garden is lovely to relax in. I would recommend this hotel, and will definitely be going again. thank you very much :)

Room Tip: if you can get a garden view overlooking the pool its amazing
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends