“Great place to stay”

and 1 more site!
Hudson Hotel
Ranked #62 of 85 Hotels in Torquay
Reviewed 10 April 2013

The Hudson Hotel is a great place to stay and we would stay again when going to Torquay . Great breakfast and love the big rooms need bigger towels as we are not small men lol all are friendly and welcoming thanks c u soon

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 4 April 2013

Stayed in the Hudson hotel over Easter. The hotel cant be faulted for the location just a short walk into the town. The car parking is fun its behind the hotel up a hill and you need a coded key to access it which you get after you check in. The access at the bak of the hotel wasnt open so it was a trek to walk round the front and get into the building - i paid to park on the road outside - plenty on on road parking - not in the summer i imagine.
the room was not very clean and i wrote my name in the dust on the lamp.
The toilet wasnt attache to the floor as the bolts were missing - like sitting on a rocking horse....very off putting - reported it on the first night but nothing happneded or was mentioned afterwards.
the TV only had DVD and i reported this and when i came back from my shopping trip it was fixed for about haf an hour and then reverted to the DVD screen... tried a dvd but there was no remote to work the dvd so gave up on that and erad my book.
the Garden room was large and had its own exit which was handy to come and go without walking through the hotel but the room was very cold - and the radiator seemed to come on and go off at its own whim.
breakfast was fine and the dining room and bar were quite modern and bright. but we wont stay again. The main reason i booked was because of the location and the details said there was parking - think this should be explained in more detail on the web site.
Brian - the owner - was cheerful enough but i think i sense of improtance regarding the rocking toilet was missing.... OH and bring your own towels the towels are tiny.

Room Tip: dont pick the Garden Room unless the toilet has been fixed to the floor and the TV is fixed and a du...
  • Stayed: April 2013, travelled with family
briney1, Owner at Hudson Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 20 April 2013

I was disappointed to read the feedback from Ms J Whitfield.
Perhaps I can respond to the points individually.
Regarding car parking, there is a FREE unloading/loading bay directly opposite the hotel for arrivals and depatures, although the rest on road parking is metered, but a limited amount of FREE parking is provided for guests use directly behind the hotel. In addition, we have FREE places for guests' vechicles in a nearby car park, less than five minutes' walk away. The car park is up a slight hill.............but then Torquay is rather hilly!
Acess to the hotel is via a newly-modernised reception at the front of the building, which borders the road. This is how the vast majority of guests first see us. There are several steps beside the hotel to enable guests to go out of the back of the hotel but there is no access into the building this way, for security reasons.
We pride ourselves on the cleaniness of each room, which are serviced throughout every morning. If a guest was disatisfied in this way, I would always urge them to speak to me directly straight away so that I can deal with any issues.
The guest complains that the toilet was not attcached to the floor. I am afraid this criticisim has me rather stumped! I have checked it myself, and it is completely secure.
Regarding the TV, as soon as I became aware that the guest was unable to view programmes, I visited the room myself and discovered the previous guest had used the DVD facility and not switched it back to TV mode. This was resolved straight away.
As far as the temparature of the room is concerned, each room has its own separate thermostatic control to enable guests to choose the temprature that best suits them. However, it is appreciated that up to the last weekend, the weather outside has been generally colder than usuall and, for guests and additional comfort extra mobile radiators are available that quickly add extra warmth. These are available at reception.
Each room is provided with one hand towel and two larger, bath towels.

Reviewed 15 March 2013

Stayed midweek party of four ,Was made to feel very welcome rooms modern and clean, Would highly recommend this hotel to anyone,
Had to come for family funeral, made this sad time very bearable by the very kind staff Who could not do enough for us, Will always be very grateful for the kindness shown to us.

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 25 February 2013

i booked this hotel for our 10th anniversary and was sadly let down by how cold our room was , the heating was on all day but it never got warmer.
also the shower was very mouldy even on the wall next to the soap dispenser.
the breakfast and hospitality was great,
the towel's were small, the bathroom was freezing (heated towel rail recommended)
the bed kept moving even when u sat on it to put your socks on.
and the view of the 'Haunted hotel' next door was unimpressive
unless you have a small car parking was inadequate for a people carrier
the location was perfect for the town centre and local restaurants.
now i'm no the smallest of people but the shower cubicle size was tiny, on previous pictures on here i have noticed a large shower cubicle.

Room Tip: if you are a large person ask for the bigger shower cubicle and make sure you visit in the summer ti...
  • Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 23 February 2013

Stayed there half term (Feb). The owner was on holiday the the guys who was looking after the place looked after us really well. Loved the very very large bed we had, breakfast was fantastic a really nice friendly place to stay. Will go back there again. Thank you Hudson Hotel.

• Stayed: February 2013
Reviewed 16 February 2013

Only stayed for one night whilst working in Torquay and I'm so glad I stayed here.
The single room was fine with everything you needed but what made this a great hotel for me was the hotel sitters Leigh and David.
When you spend most of your time working away from home all you generally get to see in the evening are the 4 walls of your room, but at the Hudson there is a great lounge area where the hosts encourage you to spend time and I'm glad I did.
After I booked in I had a quick shower before going downstairs to the lounge to do some work before meeting my sister (who lives in Torquay) for tea.
After chatting to Leigh, David and their friend Ann and sharing a drink I headed out for tea with my sister. I arrived back at the hotel around 9pm and asked if I could get a drink from the bar?
I can honestly say in all the hotels I have stayed I have never experienced a welcome like it, after half an hour or so with chatting to the hosts and their friend Ann it became apparent what genuinely nice people they were.
Hospitality like this is far and few between in this day and age and I would strongly recommend staying at the Hudson to anyone who will listen.
A return trip here is a must !!
Very highly recommended.

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 9 February 2013

This hotel was well situated , just a couple of minutes walk from the town centre , near enough to access the town, but far enough away from the busy weekend nightlife. We were impressed with the lovely clean room. The room was very spacious and far exceeded the space we had in a room from a major hotel chain on a previous trip. The room had everything that we needed, nice tea/coffee making facilities , a well stocked mini bar and hair dryer. The room was beautifully decorated and had nice chairs to sit in too. The owner welcomed us warmly and was very attentive. breakfast was served in the tasteful and modern dining room, there was a lovely selection of cereals and bread and jams. The cooked breakfast was delicious and offered a lovely choice for meat and not-meat eaters.
We had a lovely weekend and would return to this hotel again

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled as a couple