“Nice interior, good coffee, questionable food hygiene practises”
Review of Coffee#1 Torquay

Coffee#1 Torquay
Ranked #14 of 27 Coffee & Tea in Torquay
Price range: US$1 - US$6
Cuisines: Cafe
Good for: Child-friendly, Groups
Dining options: Breakfast, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Digital Payments, Highchairs Available, Seating, Takeout
Description: Award-winning coffee, cakes and pastries for breakfast, lunch and tea. Comfy sofa's, beautiful interiors and cosy corners that you can hide away in for a quiet half an hour are as important to us as the cake we serve and the service we give. Come and see for yourself.
Torquay, United Kingdom
“Nice interior, good coffee, questionable food hygiene practises”
Reviewed 16 July 2014

Visited today for a couple of drinks. I hadn’t been before. It is located inside the old main post office and I have to say I like the interior. Seats, high backs, sofas and even a lovely fireplace. We had a coconut hot chocolate and a straight black coffee and sat by the open window. Nice location for the breeze but sadly the smoke from the outdoor tables wafts through and takes the edge off a bit when you are a non-smoker. Also, if you are going to open the windows, why not wipe the dust and cobwebs off the railings in the window?
Sitting in a cafe gives you time to watch the world go by and see how people work. It was interesting that one member of staff services three tables over a period of 5 minutes or so and totally missed the full tray from a previous customer until a fourth visit to a nearby table. Seemed a little “unproductive”!
My main concern was glancing over to where the counter and I assume the area for dirty dishes and plates, to see the same member of staff “swigging” from a large plastic looking jug which I guess contained the leftovers from a previously prepared drink! Now I am no food hygiene expert and all workers are entitled to breaks and drinks but was this really appropriate behaviour behind the counter? If that is acceptable in this establishment then I will not be rushing back.
Shame because the hot food smells were quite lovely.

• Visited July 2014

Liverpool, United Kingdom
“Excellent coffee.”
Reviewed 15 July 2014

This is a really nice coffee shop right on the high street in Torquay. It has the usual selection of coffees and cakes but the coffee is really good quaily. Better than Costa and Nero.

The price is about what you expect for a coffee shop. The service was okay. The toilet facilities are a bit paltry. One toilet for both male and female and one for disabled. Its quite a large place so I imagine there must be a queue in peak periods.

Overall its a nice place to visit when you are out and about and better than the main chain coffee shops.

• Visited July 2014
“Gluten free”
Reviewed 2 July 2014

The soya milk latte is excellent and the gluten free cakes. Lovely decor. Very pleasant for a cup of coffee.

Visited July 2014
Torquay, United Kingdom
“#1? Not on my list”
Reviewed 11 April 2014 via mobile

Had heard so many good things about this place, yet when I went there I was disappointed beyond belief. My mother in law had a so called HOT chocolate that was Luke-warm whilst the coffees all tasted as though the beans had been burnt! Lots of staff, yet none seemed to know what they were doing. Will I go back? No chance. Will I recommend? What do you think?

Plymouth
“Nice coffee”
Reviewed 12 March 2014

Thought I'd try this coffee shop. Glad I did. White hot chocolate was fantastic. A very nice selection of cakes. Feels very welcoming too.

• Visited February 2014