“Fantastic Family Active Week” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of PGL Barton Hall

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Torquay
PGL Barton Hall
Cheltenham, England, United Kingdom
“Fantastic Family Active Week”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 August 2012

We've just returned from a week at Barton Hall on a Family Active holiday.

The kids and I had a brilliant time and took part in many different activities including zipwire, trapeze, dry slope skiing, canoeing, archery, orienteering, fencing, puzzle solving and several more. The group we did our activities with were great and we've made some new friends.

The instructors are all cheerful, knowledgeable and enthusiastic - even when the rain is slating down!

The accommodation is quite basic - but for the money we paid it is what I expected. The food also is quite simple, but adequate and filling. Again, for what we paid we were quite satisfied with quantity and quality.

This isn't a holiday for lounging in luxury, but an activity holiday where the emphasis is on fun, friendship and challenging ourselves and we had a great time.

1 Thank Simon B

Couples
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
Utrecht, The Netherlands
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 August 2012

We had a wonderful active holiday with PGL. The staff was great. We enjoyed almost all of the activities. The accommodation is basic, bunk beds. The grounds are extensive and safe.

All of the food is included, it is basic canteen food but there is lots of it. They work with a system of "bracelets". Every bracelet has its own colour and own eating time. Not many people stick to it. We were in the last group and often is was very busy. They do not always stick to the times. Our lunch was from 1.30 until 2.00. Often they were clearing up when we came in.

We had a two great families in our activity group and we had lots of fun.
The family challange took place after a staff party. That was a shame as some of the staff were hung over and not in the best of spirits.

We enjoyed our time here and will probably look for another PGL holiday next year!

4 Thank Polly0
Luton, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 August 2012

We went on a JFK school trip to PGL in yr.7 and I had the time of my life. In the reveiws I had read people had said that the rooms were of the bare minimum but I think they were fine. The meals were quite nice and the staff there were really friendly. All the activities were REALLY cool [espeically the jacobs ladder] and the staff would encourage you to try everything. The disco we had was amazing and overall I was a bit sorry to home in the end! I would reccomend this place for school trips, families or just with a friend.

Room Tip: I know this isn't very helpful but it just depends whether your fussy or not!! :]
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank n_coy
West Byfleet, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 August 2012

Oh gosh....where to begin? My twin girls (aged 10) are suffering from PGL withdrawals and we only got back yesterday from a week of fun filled activity. I was hoping it would be fun as I went on a PGL holiday when I was 10/11 with my school and have never forgotten it, but it certainly surpassed my expectations. When I asked my girls if they would prefer to go to Butlins/Haven/abroad or on a PGL holiday next year, they shouted out PGL immediately. We are used to going to Spain every year so it was interesting abseiling in the rain!!!

I guess I would reiterate what most people have said. They don't advertise 5* accommodation but it's functional and you're hardly in your room. If I was going to be really, really picky, then I would suggest newer, firmer mattresses but that's all. Having said that, I think I was so (pleasantly) exhausted by the end of the day I got to read one page of my book and passed out.

Met great people, had loads of fun and did things I wouldn't have had the chance to do. Jumping out of a window and hanging upside down on a zip wire is a lot of fun when you're nearly 50...you can be like a child again and get that zest for life. We skiied, fenced, canoed, climbed, worked out puzzles, swam, abseiled, built rafts, quad biked, made friends and laughed so much.

Staff were great, and they truly deserve medals for their input. The evening was catered for with outdoor games for the children and talent shows etc. and adults could watch the Olympics in the bar or just sit outside.

On the food side, well, I was just happy that I didn't put on any weight given the amount I ate! I thought the food was really great. There was an extensive salad bar, and you could go back as many times as you wanted. The food was along the lines of cottage pie, fish and chips, chilli, pork steaks, roast beef on Sunday etc. Full English breakfast every day and cereal, yoghurt, toast and tea and coffee. Lunch was simple - baguettes or jacket potatoes with filling but as usual, lots of salad on the side from the buffet. It's all in a canteen style operation but it works well. We took a bottle of wine and no one batted an eyelid. What did annoy me was when people just left their trays and couldn't be bothered to tidy up. It's not a lot to ask after all.

We loved the outdoor pool and especially the early morning swim from 7.30 onwards. We would have liked to have this option daily as opposed to every other day. Luckily the weather got better by the end of the week and then everyone made a beeline for the pool after the last activitity.

It was just fantastic. I could wax lyrical about our time there but I would need more time! Definitely going back and huge thanks to PGL and staff. You were and are great. Thanks!

2 Thank Sazavan
Buckinghamshire
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 August 2012 via mobile

I went to Barton Hall as part of a large youth group. We had 124 people in our party, we were a last minute booking as our normal camping field was flooded!!
We all had a brilliant week and thought the food was pretty good for mass catering style. Always a choice with salad and soup available lunch and dinner.

The accommodation was a mix of chalets and rooms of 2,4 or 6. I was in Saddle Tor in a leaders room. Recently renovated bathroom, beds comfy, and tea and coffee facilities. Rooms were serviced twice during the week, but if you need supplies just ask at reception!

The programme was well planned and I threw myself (sometimes literally!) into the activities we were allocated. The zip wire was amazing, giant swing terrifying and the trapeze wobbly! But all excellent fun and I was pleased that my fear of heights didn't get in my way and stop me!

We were surprised by how many family groups were holidaying at Barton Hall, as we had always associated PGL with school groups! Having said that the families present all looked to be having great fun and bonding really well.

I would reccommend this holiday for active fun seeking families and youth groups alike!

Excellent!

• Stayed July 2012
1 Thank chocomaniac
Tushingham
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 July 2012

Less than £450 for a weeks holiday for me and my daughter (who is 12) in the summer holidays in lovely Devon.

The rooms are very very basic and thats the only bad thing that you should expect, after all you won't spend much time there it's just to wash and sleep. Always hot water for showers no matter the time of day.

We were really lucky as we had the hottest week so far this year so were able to make full use of the outdoor pool and sunbeds.

Kids love it, and they make friends so quickly then they are off with their friends, and you know they are safe.

• Stayed July 2012
3 Thank Uklea
Barnstaple, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 June 2012

Just returned from a fun filled, loud weekend at Barton Hall. The Brownies (and me) had a great time. Staff were excellent, plenty of food and lots of fun. Yes, the rooms are basic but you only need to sleep in them!

• Stayed June 2012, travelled with friends