“Returned to torquay after 30 years”
Review of The Hotel Balmoral

The Hotel Balmoral
Ranked #16 of 85 Hotels in Torquay
Reviewed 1 August 2014 via mobile

We stayed at Balmoral for a week from 18-25 July.
On arrival we met alex on desk who I have to say was exceptionally helpful telling us about the hotel and surrounding areas, he even brought a map up to our room.
I am on a gluten free diet which I mentioned when booking, though I did think possibly a few more options could be available, such as a gluten free sausage at breakfast they are not hard to come by, possibly a better option for dessert, than ice cream or fruit, I did manage to find a lovely bakery in Brixham which I brought in for my dessert at teatime, asked waiter for some clotted cream and jam which he was happy to get for me.
Saying that though, we had a lovely stay and would definitely go back, we had a large garden room at the back which was very comfortable and spacious.
We loved torquay, round the harbour is lovely, we went on several boat trips to Brixham and Dartmouth which were great value for money, loved Dartmouth especially..
We went to the zoo which was good day out, weather was gorgeous, really is the English riviera down in Torquay when the sun is shining..

Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Karen T

Reviewed 26 July 2014

We were staying near to the Balmoral and were tempted in by the thought of a cream tea served in the grounds. After about a 15 minute wait, it arrived. The scones looked suspiciously like cheap shop-bought ones and being warm I guess they had also seen the inside of a microwave. They weren't very big either. Given that the hotel does evening meals I wouldn't have thought it too onerous for them to offer proper, home made scones baked on the premises. at £4.25 per head there are far better places locally to enjoy a cream tea.

Reviewed 24 July 2014

We booked two nights in the hotel on recommendation of friends. We booked a cosy room with sea and garden view room was abit small so would go for the larger room . We were greeted by friendly and efficient staff, and nothing is too much trouble. , Excellent food with good choice and service

Room Tip: Go for larger rooms
Reviewed 24 July 2014

The Hotel Balmoral does have a lot of things going for it but also lets itself down in small ways.
On the plus side the hotel is neat and tidy and kept very clean. The gardens are nicely manicured and provide a nice area to sit and relax. The public areas are comfortable and there is plenty of seating, including the nice bar area. The food was generally fairly good with a reasonable choice but there were a few ‘own goals’ such as uncooked potatoes on one evening and melon that tasted of onion on another evening. The service was quick and efficient so overall the dining experience was a reasonably positive one.

The cosy rooms are indeed cosy but knowing that before booking meant we knew what to expect but the room was clean and bed comfortable and there were nice views of the garden and sea through the trees. Hot water will flow through the shower eventually, just takes a while.

Another slight disappointment was that the Wi-Fi coverage in the hotel was very patchy. It did not reach the top floor and struggled by the windows in the lounge. A better router or another couple of access point should fix that.

The hotel location is excellent being just a couple of minutes up the hill from Meadfoot Beach, 30 minutes around the headland on the coastal path to Torquay or 15 minutes on the more direct route past the Lincombe Hall hotel and down the hill towards the harbour.

Overall if you are looking for a quiet hotel, a good base and value for money the Hotel Balmoral should not disappoint.

Reviewed 22 July 2014 via mobile

I've just returned from a weekend break here. As I was late arriving I unfortunately missed dinner but I was made a chicken salad and offered dessert which was delicious. Breakfast the following morning was tasty and my evening meal was fantastic. The main waiter did seem a little abrupt, the restaurant wasn't too busy, especially when I asked questions about the food (I have a lot of allergies ). The hotel itself has been modernised to a degree although it is showing signs of wear (thinning carpets and dated public toilets). However it's spotlessly clean and I would stay again. The rooms are a good size and are also very clean. The real downside for me was the bed. Very hard and uncomfortable I had two bad nights sleep. The pillows are also flat and lifeless - they need to be replaced. The staff in the hotel and the locals who use the bar are all very friendly especially the neighbour with the dog who sat near the fire each night. The car park is a little small and narrow not good for nervous drivers although plenty of spaces.The grounds are perfectly manicured and perfect to enjoy a cream tea. A lovely hotel with a few small fixes would be great.

Stayed: July 2014
Reviewed 18 July 2014

Having been to torquay for the last 4years the wife and I thought we would have a change.We decided to try the balmoral.The hotel is set in lovely grounds and quite a sun trap.Staying on the b+b with evening meal the food was excellent and plenty of it.The staff were polite and helpful and the rooms were comfortable.The location was spot on for the beach and town centre.Overall our stay was excellent and would stay at the balmoral again.Thanks to all concerned

Room Tip: A sea view would have been nice but the premier room was fine
Reviewed 18 July 2014

First the good, the food is very good, we had breakfast and dinner. Both menus are varied with a good selection available. The public areas are pleasant with plenty of seating for guests. The gardens also pleasant with seating and tables, the sea can be seen from here through the trees. The location of the hotel is also good being in a quiet location close to Meadfoot Beach. There is also a well stocked bar.
Now for the not so good, our room was very large but very dated, the bathroom was fitted with a pink suite. The bed was very hard and not very comfortable. There was also a strange smell in the room which we couldn't decide on, the room did seem to be clean though.
The hotel does offer good value for money.

1  Thank Neil L