“Potential to be good … but wasn’t really”
Review of Hotel Richmond

Hotel Richmond
Ranked #67 of 87 Hotels in Torquay
Bristol, England
“Potential to be good … but wasn’t really”
Reviewed 15 August 2012

Stayed here on a 2-night deal with our 18-month old granddaughter. First impressions were not good and it all looked a bit tired. Limited parking (which was full), but we managed to find some nearby free parking on the road. No wi-fi available in the hotel (they don’t even have their own website).

I struggled on my own with two suitcases and a couple of bags into a small grubby-looking lift to our room on the 2nd floor while my partner parked the car. However, I was pleasantly surprised when I reached our room to find this review’s redeeming feature, which was a lovely large room with a small balcony containing a table and 2 chairs with view over the garden down to the sea. The room was reasonably clean (although I did find a few long hairs around, particularly in the drawers etc), had tasteful and modern decor and contained a double and a single bed.

We had asked for a cot to be available but there wasn’t one in the room (we had initially been told this would be charged at £10 per night, but when I looked it up on a website and found they were quoting £5 a night, I called them and they reduced the price). Anyway, I went down to Reception and asked about the cot. He said he had no note of it, but would see what he could find and sure enough, he turned up in the room a few minutes later with a brand new travel cot and a couple of sheets and a pillow. He said they didn’t have a blanket or quilt available, but luckily I had brought a small blanket and as the weather was very mild, it was OK. He was however very helpful in pointing out places to visit and suggesting some nice things we could do.

The room contained a hairdryer and had plenty of storage space (although like many hotels, it could do with a few more clothes hangers). There was a basic beverage tray and a kettle, but no complimentary toiletries, only a couple of plastic ‘glasses’ in the bathroom and a miniature bar of soap each. The towels however were white, clean & looked pretty new, although no bath sheets, only bath and hand towels. The shower was not much cop, not very powerful and ran out of hot water before we could both complete our shower in the morning.

It was very warm on the first night and we had the patio door wide open and slept on top the bed. However, the maid didn’t even bother to straighten the bedding or plump the pillows the next day or even make up the cot again – all she did was empty the bins and replenish the coffee.

Breakfast was an unimpressive affair. It was very basic – no fresh fruit or pastries and only the cheapest unboxed cereals and bowls of tinned fruit and yogurt, with the cheapest apple & orange juice and sauce & marmalade sachets that money could buy. It was however the quickest cooked breakfast I have ever seen appear, as they were obviously pre-cooked and ready on the plates for collection from the kitchen and thus not very hot – contained 1 cheap sausage, 1 slice of bacon, beans, a fried egg, ½ a slice of fried bread and a tomato. The service itself was a bit of a shambles, particularly on the second day when we had to sit at a table which was un-laid, as all the tables that had been laid had been used, although not one of them had been cleared and no attempt was made to clear them whilst we were there, despite there being 3 waitresses apparently on duty. We had to ask for the juice to be replenished, for paper napkins and went to fetch our own milk for tea, as we weren’t supplied with any. I left my tea to brew for quite some time, but it was still as weak as dishwater – I probably only had second use of the tea bags. One of the waitresses was particularly miserable – when my partner asked her to replenish the juice, she didn’t even bother answering him and I noticed another couple, who had just had their breakfast plonked in front of them say ‘excuse me’ to gain her attention and she just said ‘two minutes’ and walked off, never to be seen again during the entire service, so they had to fetch their own cutlery to eat their breakfast! I was even more unimpressed when leaving the hotel to be able to look over the railings at the front to see several of the kitchen staff ‘having a fag’ with a very full ashtray on the floor by the kitchen door.

There was a bar available and an outside decking area, which could have been really nice, but instead it had several broken chairs and only 3 parasols available for the entire area. The area outside the breakfast room looked dirty and was covered in weeds. The patio doors were kept shut in any event, even though the breakfast room was very hot and stuffy, and the windows were dirty. The gardens down below however seemed very well kept.

All in all, I am being very generous in giving the place a 3-star review, and one of those stars was for the nice room we had. It wasn’t all bad and it is a shame, as it would only take a few changes and a bit of effort and staff training to make the place nice, but I got the impression they just couldn’t be bothered, or it was just a franchise looking to make a cheap buck. However, it was good value for money on the deal we had, particularly for the nice room.

Room Tip: Ask for a room with a sea view
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank badgeress
Gemma A, Manager at Hotel Richmond, responded to this review, 10 September 2012
Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your stay at the Hotel Richmond. I am pleased to read that the standard of the room did meet your expectations. However, I am sorry to hear that the service in the restaurant and the quality and the food was not our usual standard. The hotel has addressed these issues and the feedback has been extremely positive. Wi-fi is now available is the bar and lounge area of the hotel. We have taken on board your comments and once again thank you for your feed back. We do really value your custom and hope we can welcome you again in the future.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (135)
Crewe, Cheshire
Reviewed 12 August 2012

My partner, my daughter (5) and I stayed for 2 nights on the KGB deal. Was well worth the money. Two bad points were room 7, bed was too creaky and every time one of us turned over it would wake the other up, so slept with my daughter as it doesn't creak when she moves. Second was room far too hot, sweating all the time even tho temp outside was average. However lots of good points, staff are fantastic, reception staff and breakfast waitresses. Very good with my little girl, always talking to her. Got to swim in the pool, small pool, but had it all to ourselves. Played indoor green bowling and skittles too. The man who was on nights 11th aug was brill. Really nice, friendly and welcoming. I would recommend you to stop here if you want a traditional seaside break but if you want a modern stylish boutique hotel then your looking in the wrong place! Very clean rooms but old. Would recommend to anyone and will return, if we can get a good price again! :-)

• Stayed August 2012
3 Thank Leannepogo
Gemma A, Manager at Hotel Richmond, responded to this review, 10 September 2012
Thank you for you positive comments regarding the hotel’s facilities and the hospitality of the staff. The hotel aims to offer quality accommodation, excellent hospitality and good value for money. I am very pleased to read that we have met your expectations. We really do value your custom and Terry and his team will look forward to welcoming you when you return to the hotel.
Middlesbrough, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 August 2012

Booked via National Holidays, Really good value for money. Wouldnt recommend for those with restricted mobility but apart from that fine. Easy reach to town centre and sea front. Reception, bar and restaurant staff all very friendly and excellent.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled solo
3 Thank Jeffseaton
Gemma A, Manager at Hotel Richmond, responded to this review, 10 September 2012
Thank you for your comments regarding your stay at the Hotel Richmond. I am really pleased to read that experienced a warm welcome from all the staff at the hotel. The hotel is in an elevated position. You can access the beach from the back of the hotel, through the gardens which is less elevated. We do have a lift that services a number of our rooms. We really do value your custom and Terry and his team will look forward to welcoming you when you return to the hotel.
Dudley, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 August 2012

We made our reservation via the Hotel and the service was very professional. We stayed in July 2012 for 4 x nights and was given a very comfortable room with beautiful seaviews. The bed was large and comfy and the pillows were brilliant/best I have ever had. We will definately stay again it suited our requirements and we enjoyed our break. Thank you so much to Terry Hazelwood the General Manager of the Hotel who made us feel so welcome. We will be back!!

Room Tip: We stayed on the second floor room with seaview and balcony, lovely
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank 187065Decland
Gemma A, Manager at Hotel Richmond, responded to this review, 10 September 2012
Thank you for taking the time to write a review a review about the hotel. I am pleased to read that your stay exceeded your expectations and the friendliness of the staff was delivered. I will ensure that your comments are feed back to the hotel. We really do value your custom and Terry and his team will look forward to welcoming you when you return to the hotel.
Barnstaple, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 August 2012

very dated but clean and very friendly staff .breakfast ok never had evening meal but the view from our room was 'wow' and the room was very big .. great location had a really nice relaxing weekend ....

• Stayed August 2012, travelled as a couple
3 Thank LynnN67
Gemma A, Manager at Hotel Richmond, responded to this review, 10 September 2012
I would like to thank you for taking the time to tell us about the aspects of your stay that you enjoyed. I have taken on board your comments regarding the décor. We really do value your custom and Terry and his team will look forward to welcoming you when you return to the hotel.
Reviewed 4 July 2012

We stayed in this hotel for 3 nights as part of a 'Glenton' Coach Trip from Scotland to Newquay and Torquay. The Hotel Richmond is in a good location with a short walk to the local shops and sea-front. The Hotel could be described as ‘well-worn’ and the décor is slightly dated, but not to an extent that it detracted from our stay. We were travelling in a party of 5, staying in 1 double room and 1 family room. Both of the rooms which we had allocated were spacious, bright and comfortable with large balcony views overlooking the sea-front, so we were absolutely delighted. It should be worth mentioning here that some other members of our coach trip were less than satisfied with their assigned rooms and when I was invited to visit one of these rooms to inspect, it was clear that there is quite some variance in the standard of rooms. In fairness to the Hotel, they made every effort to upgrade those rooms whenever alternative rooms became available, but be aware that you may not get one of the excellent balcony rooms that we were lucky enough to get. The food was functional and there was a fair choice, although even dishes that looked really tasty could sometimes taste a little bit bland. There is only one lift in the hotel and due to weight and size restrictions it could only accommodate 2 persons at a time. The lift can be slow due to it being the only one servicing ALL floors, so prepare to have and occasional long wait once you hit that button. There is also a small swimming pool which my 6 year old son and I loved playing in. All the staff were very friendly and helpful and were always keen to accommodate any special food requests or anything else. We didn’t select this hotel as it was part of a multi-stop coach trip, but we enjoyed it and made the best of any little niggles during our stay. Thanks to the Hotel Richmond team.

Room Tip: We got 2 sea-facing family rooms up on the 3rd floor. Each had a lovely big balcony with great view...
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled with family
5 Thank Jimmy K
Gemma A, Manager at Hotel Richmond, responded to this review, 10 September 2012
Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your stay at the Hotel Richmond. I pleased to read that most aspects of your stay met your expectations. I have taken on board your comments regarding the food, and the décor. Your feed back has been very useful to us. We really do value your custom and Terry and his team will look forward to welcoming you when you return to the hotel.
Belfast, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 July 2012

I booked this hotel when needing to get to Torquay urgently (a family emergency) and needed a decent budget B&B to stay at. I found the hotel through booking.com and felt it fitted the purpose.
When I arrived the welcome wasnt great. I was given a form to complete and handed my key and told my room (16) was on the first floor. As I headed to the lift I was told it didnt stop on the first floor and my room was only accessible via a flight of stairs. The male receptionist did carry my case up to my room. I had booked a single room so was very surprised to find I had been allocated a family room with a double and a single bed. The room was large, the decor and furniture basic and the room had a view of the small carpark in front of the hotel. Given that I wasnt there on a pleasure trip, this didnt concern me but if you were staying for a week on holiday I could understand the room view being a disappointment. There was a large ensuite bathroom attached to the room that had a toilet, basin and bath with shower over the bath.
I wasnt planning to stay at the hotel so the room and ensuite suited my needs and I was happy with what I had been allocated. I slept in the double bed and it was a very comfortable bed with comfy soft pillows and I had no problem sleeping here. My only criticism would be that the room was way to hot and I had to keep my window open 24/7 and even that did not cool the room sufficiently.
I had hired a car and initially I was able to park in the hotel car park but after I had been out to visit my family member and returned to the hotel, there was no room in the carpark and I had to search for a suitable, legal car parking space and these are very few and far between on Croft Road and Croft Lane. I was told that the traffic wardens start their rounds about 6.00am and so was advised to look legal places to park. That can be very difficult as there are numerous hotels in the Croft Road area, all it appears, without adequate parking spaces in their car parks so there is a bit of a battle to get one.
Breakfast was great. Coffee, toast, cereal, yoghurt, fruit and full English - just what the doctor ordered) Served by waitresses who were only too happy to help and really got to know their guests and had pleasurable conversations as they served). Lovely ladies who I apologise to that I have forgotten their names.
The pleasure of staying at this hotel was meeting the night receptionist, Rob, who was the most friendly, happy go lucky and most eager to help individual and I thank him for making me laugh at a time when I didnt feel like laughing, for listening to me and my worries and taking the time to ask how I was feeling (not to mention always remembering my room number and having my room key ready for me every time I returned) and for giving up his car parking space at the back of the hotel to allow me to park my hire car.
Rob is the making of the hotel and I will be forever grateful to him for cheering me up when I was very down. I am returning to Torquay in November in much happier circumstances and I will definitely book The Richmond again. I paid £55 for 2 nights B&B and couldnt complain about what I got for the price I paid.
Would definitely recommend for a budget break.

Room Tip: If you want a view over Torbay ask for a view room. Dont go for room 16 as the only view is the car...
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled solo
6 Thank KarenGraham240960
Gemma A, Manager at Hotel Richmond, responded to this review, 10 September 2012
Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your stay at the Hotel Richmond. I pleased to read that most aspects of your stay met your expectations. I have taken on board your comments regarding the parking facilities, and rooms being hot during the summer. Your feed back has been very useful to us. Thank you for your kind words regarding the hospitality of the staff. I will ensure these comments are passed on to the team members that contributed to this. We really do value your custom and Terry and his team will look forward to welcoming you when you return to the hotel.