“Really good experience!”
Review of Hotel Richmond

Hotel Richmond
Ranked #77 of 86 Hotels in Torquay
Reviewed 5 October 2012

We stayed there last weekend 28-30 sept 2012. It was an offer on internet for 2 nights stay for 2 with breakfast and i thought is a nice location. After i read lots of reviews about this hotel, i was a little dissapointed , but i thought is still a good deal at half price and is at the beach so it sounded great! I took the advice and contacted them a few days before getting there to ask for a room with balcony, not really a fuss, they said they'll put me into one if is available.
Check-in was at 3pm and we've been very surprised. It was a room with balcony and sea view at first floor, very lovely. Room was large with twin beds, a huge built-in warderobe, very clean and it seemed fairly new furniture. Bathroom was sparkling and very warm. Heating was on all day and also hot water anytime we wanted. Also we had a TV, tea/coffee making facilities, towels, even a hair dryer that i've discovered just before leaving :((
Breakfast was tasty, we've opted for traditional cooked one, but there was plenty of choises, cereals, jams, juice. We only used the pool once, water was warm and clean and we had great fun. I can't say anything about the bar as we were spending all day out.
Torquay is beautifull, we were lucky to get some sun as well so we had a great weekend. We decided and book one more night as we couldn't just leave :(... Staff was very friendly, receptive and polite and i want to thank them all.
We had a really nice weekend and i promise we'll be back!

3  Thank Olaru I
Gemma A, Manager at Hotel Richmond, responded to this reviewResponded 12 December 2012

Thank you for your feedback about your visit to the hotel. I am pleased you really enjoyed your stay and we will look forward to welcoming you again in the future.

Reviewed 25 September 2012

This hotel is very tired and in need of some TLC.Our room was large enough and furnished ok
The only problem was the bed,it needs replacing to get rid of the lumps!
The bathroom could do with updating and more shelving for toilletries etc
Hot water this is very ,very hot in fact it was well above the recommended safe temperature, be warned!
Food was acceptable but items that were on the menu were not available when requested.
The entertainment on the Saturday night was excellent.
Would return but chose a room at the front with a balcony

Room Tip: Chose a room with a balcony
1  Thank chris g

Thank you for your feedback regarding your visit to the hotel. Our sea view rooms are very good value for money with excellent views across the bay. I am really pleased you enjoyed your stay and we will look forward to welcoming you again in the future.

Reviewed 24 September 2012

The hotel on first seeing was looking a little tired and paint work on the balconys needs sorting out and refreshing and there was not a lot of parking at the hotel.We got our keys and told which way to our room the signage was very poor and we spent a long time finding our room,the room was cleanand so was the bathroom but there were no soap etc!
The hotel was clean and the staff were very smart and friendly.
The evening meal was a decent menu and the food was served quickly but the food was luke warm,the bar was clean but only had basic drinks on sale could have been more on sale.
Breakfast was so so could have served better portions but ok a 5 out of 10.
Avoid the lift it holds 2 persons and the buttons do not always work it is in need of replacing.
Portarage this was very quick and good service.

Room Tip: Ask for a sea view and a balcony room.
2  Thank christopher w

Thank you for your feedback regaridng the hotel. I am pleased that you found the staff friendly and helpful. I take on board your comments regarding the food. The lift is small but it is serviced on a regular basis to ensure it operates at all times. I am pleased you enjoyed your stay and we will look forward to welcoming you again in the future.

Reviewed 25 August 2012

rooms were not up to scratch. Cables just left hanging about out side the room thatIwas in with my friend. Bath room was needing a good clean as was the hole hotel. Food was not cooked properly getting meals that were only half cooked. Swimming pool was looking onto the dining area and the main frame work was dirty and rusty where as the tiles were dirty and greecy and there was only 2 small boxes there for changing. So I advise you not to waste your money going to this hotel for a rating of my own I would give it a - 1

Room Tip: Don't waste your money here.
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled with friends
2  Thank 169scott
Gemma A, Manager at Hotel Richmond, responded to this reviewResponded 10 September 2012

I am really sorry that the hotel’s décor did not meet your expectations on this occasion. The hotel has investigated your comments regarding the cables. I am also sorry to read that the cleanliness had not reached our normal standard. The swimming pool is facility offered for guests only. Any refurbishment work is currently being considered. Thank you for taking the time to provide us with your feedback. We really do value your custom and we hope to welcome you back in the future.

Reviewed 18 August 2012

went on a coach holidays to this hotel very quite location hotel little dated but that does not matter food needed little more cooking ie the spuds but really enjoyed the stay and would stay again but would go for a balcony room

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family

I am really sorry that the hotel’s décor did not meet your expectations on this occasion. I would like to thank you for taking the time to us about the aspects of your stay that you did enjoy. Your comments regarding the food are being addressed by the hotel management team. I am pleased to read that overall you enjoyed your stay and we will look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Reviewed 18 August 2012

Me and my family stayed at this hotel Mon - Fri , The first room they gave us was for a disabled person with no proper shower or bath , so asked for another room , the second room they gave us was terrible very dark and dingy it felt so dirty when you walked in, it was so in need of some TLC , so again asked for another room, this room was a little better but still in need of some TLC as it is very dated, curtain rail hanging off, bathroom smelt terrible probably cos of the old carpet in there . The evening meals were disgusting ,not much choice and dont cater for children , me and my husband are not fussy eaters but even we couldn't stomach the food . The hotel had a funny smell to it and the down stairs toilets was a lot nicer then the rooms , The entertainment was for the over 80's ,but one good thing we had the swimming pool to ourselves,The staff was helpful and polite .I dont usually write reviews but this hotel was so bad i thought people needed to know. :(

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family
3  Thank Hayley118

I am sorry that the hotel’s room choices did not meet your expectations. The first room is used as a specifically designed disabled room with a wet room. It is also a large room with a private balcony that we use for families. The hotel had already sold many of their other rooms and therefore the choices on arrival would have been limited. However, there is no excuse for curtains hanging off their rails. The hotel has now rectified this and is investigating your concerns regarding any smells you experienced. We do cater for children and the hotel, and the menu choices are available on request. I am pleased to read that you found the staff to be friendly. Thank you for taking the time to provide us with your feedback. We really do value your custom and we hope to welcome you back in the future.

Reviewed 17 August 2012

My partner and I stayed at the Hotel Richmond for three nights as part of our holiday touring the South West. We had a lovely time and came away rested and very happy. We stayed in a lovely room with balcony and stunning sea views over the bay. The room was excellent, spotlessly clean and very comfortable. The room was light and airy and the king size bed very comfortable.

The public areas were very nice and the staff were excellent. Terry the manager was very helpful and eager to ensure our comfort. Fernando on reception and Rob, night reception were both amazingly friendly, helpful and very professional. I must apologise that I did not find out the names of the girls in houskeeping and the restaurant but would like to emphasise that they were also excellent. Staff here cannot be faulted, they were always friendly and happy to oblige with any little request and were most helpful with information and advice. A nice relaxed atmosphere where customers really matter.

We enjoyed our breakfast each morning, i especially liked the choice of yogurt and fruit in addition to cereals and the cooked breakfast was fine. I do not think the breakfast ingredients were of the highest quality but on the other hand they were perfectly acceptable. The coffee was very good. The restaurant was only open for dinner on one evening of our stay so we did have to go out for evening meals but we had planned to do this anyway! When we enquired about evening meals, we were informed it was because all guests were booked in on a bed and breakfast only basis which we fully understand.

The indoor swimming pool was lovely, small and warm. We used it every day and mostly had it to ourselves. Only down side was the door from the pool area to outside was locked and I would have liked to sit out and come in a swim from time to time. However, I am sure if I had asked the door would have been opened for me, but frankly I was so chilled I could not be bothered to go and ask, which speaks for itself really.

I cannot wait to return to the Hotel Richmond, I loved it. It has a nice homely traditional feel and is excellent value for money. Do not expect a boutique style poshness, expect traditional values and excellent customer service dished up with friendly care.

Room Tip: Rooms 8-11 have balcony views and have been recently refurbished. Lovely rooms
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Debby1606

Thank you for you positive comments regarding the hotel’s facilities and the hospitality of the staff. The hotel aims to offer quality accommodation, excellent hospitality and good value for money. I am very pleased to read that we have met your expectations. We really do value your custom and Terry and his team will look forward to welcoming you when you return to the hotel.