“my opinion”

Ranked #70 of 88 Hotels in Torquay
Chelmsford, United Kingdom
“my opinion”
Reviewed 7 October 2012

I have just returned from a four day break, murder on the river dart (Agatha Christie) was the theme. Before i was due to leave I read the reviews on Trip Advisor and was very concerned at all the negative comments. I took the advice offered by a couple of reviewers and booked a room with a sea view. I thought if all else failed at least I would have a decent room. Well I must say I do not know what people expect for their money. I was very pleasantly surprised by the hotel. Yes it looks a bit tired and lacks a bit of entertainment in the evenings but overall the room i had, number 10, was very good. I had my sea view which was lovely and a large balcony, plenty of storage space and large bathroom. The food was good, plenty of choice and always hot. I was a bit disappointed that nothing was offered with rice but you cannot have everything. I think the Richmond was excellent value for money and I would definately recommend the hotel to fellow travellers. It is not too far from Torquay town centre either. Our tour guide Jane was very pleasant and knowledgeable and always eager to please. Unlike our coach driver in torquay, but that is another matter.

Room Tip: i can recommend room 10 on the first floor. double bed, sea view and balcony. has bath with shower o...
  • Stayed October 2012, travelled solo
2 Thank marianne564
Gemma A, Manager at Hotel Richmond, responded to this review, 12 December 2012
Thank you for your feedback regarding your stay at the hotel. I am pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay and we will look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (131)
Sittingbourne, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 October 2012

Just got back from a four day break murder on the river dart was the theme. Hotel Clean, food good, service good, We had no complaint at all The only little niggle was lack of evening entertainment on our last night, our room over looked the sea and had fantastic views our tour guide Jane was very helpful would i go back yes i would

Room Tip: ask for a sea view
  • Stayed October 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank kimmy53
Gemma A, Manager at Hotel Richmond, responded to this review, 12 December 2012
Thank you for your feedback regarding your visit to our hotel. I take on board your comments regarding the entertainment. I am pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay and found the hotel clean and the staff friendly. We will look forward to welcoming you back in the future.
Southampton, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 October 2012

We stayed there last weekend 28-30 sept 2012. It was an offer on internet for 2 nights stay for 2 with breakfast and i thought is a nice location. After i read lots of reviews about this hotel, i was a little dissapointed , but i thought is still a good deal at half price and is at the beach so it sounded great! I took the advice and contacted them a few days before getting there to ask for a room with balcony, not really a fuss, they said they'll put me into one if is available.
Check-in was at 3pm and we've been very surprised. It was a room with balcony and sea view at first floor, very lovely. Room was large with twin beds, a huge built-in warderobe, very clean and it seemed fairly new furniture. Bathroom was sparkling and very warm. Heating was on all day and also hot water anytime we wanted. Also we had a TV, tea/coffee making facilities, towels, even a hair dryer that i've discovered just before leaving :((
Breakfast was tasty, we've opted for traditional cooked one, but there was plenty of choises, cereals, jams, juice. We only used the pool once, water was warm and clean and we had great fun. I can't say anything about the bar as we were spending all day out.
Torquay is beautifull, we were lucky to get some sun as well so we had a great weekend. We decided and book one more night as we couldn't just leave :(... Staff was very friendly, receptive and polite and i want to thank them all.
We had a really nice weekend and i promise we'll be back!

3 Thank Olaru I
Gemma A, Manager at Hotel Richmond, responded to this review, 12 December 2012
Thank you for your feedback about your visit to the hotel. I am pleased you really enjoyed your stay and we will look forward to welcoming you again in the future.
King's Lynn, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 September 2012

This hotel is very tired and in need of some TLC.Our room was large enough and furnished ok
The only problem was the bed,it needs replacing to get rid of the lumps!
The bathroom could do with updating and more shelving for toilletries etc
Hot water this is very ,very hot in fact it was well above the recommended safe temperature, be warned!
Food was acceptable but items that were on the menu were not available when requested.
The entertainment on the Saturday night was excellent.
Would return but chose a room at the front with a balcony

Room Tip: Chose a room with a balcony
1 Thank chris g
Gemma A, Manager at Hotel Richmond, responded to this review, 12 December 2012
Thank you for your feedback regarding your visit to the hotel. Our sea view rooms are very good value for money with excellent views across the bay. I am really pleased you enjoyed your stay and we will look forward to welcoming you again in the future.
Brightlingsea, United Kingdom
Reviewed 24 September 2012

The hotel on first seeing was looking a little tired and paint work on the balconys needs sorting out and refreshing and there was not a lot of parking at the hotel.We got our keys and told which way to our room the signage was very poor and we spent a long time finding our room,the room was cleanand so was the bathroom but there were no soap etc!
The hotel was clean and the staff were very smart and friendly.
The evening meal was a decent menu and the food was served quickly but the food was luke warm,the bar was clean but only had basic drinks on sale could have been more on sale.
Breakfast was so so could have served better portions but ok a 5 out of 10.
Avoid the lift it holds 2 persons and the buttons do not always work it is in need of replacing.
Portarage this was very quick and good service.

Room Tip: Ask for a sea view and a balcony room.
2 Thank christopher w
Gemma A, Manager at Hotel Richmond, responded to this review, 12 December 2012
Thank you for your feedback regaridng the hotel. I am pleased that you found the staff friendly and helpful. I take on board your comments regarding the food. The lift is small but it is serviced on a regular basis to ensure it operates at all times. I am pleased you enjoyed your stay and we will look forward to welcoming you again in the future.
Glasgow, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 August 2012

rooms were not up to scratch. Cables just left hanging about out side the room thatIwas in with my friend. Bath room was needing a good clean as was the hole hotel. Food was not cooked properly getting meals that were only half cooked. Swimming pool was looking onto the dining area and the main frame work was dirty and rusty where as the tiles were dirty and greecy and there was only 2 small boxes there for changing. So I advise you not to waste your money going to this hotel for a rating of my own I would give it a - 1

Room Tip: Don't waste your money here.
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled with friends
2 Thank 169scott
Gemma A, Manager at Hotel Richmond, responded to this review, 10 September 2012
I am really sorry that the hotel’s décor did not meet your expectations on this occasion. The hotel has investigated your comments regarding the cables. I am also sorry to read that the cleanliness had not reached our normal standard. The swimming pool is facility offered for guests only. Any refurbishment work is currently being considered. Thank you for taking the time to provide us with your feedback. We really do value your custom and we hope to welcome you back in the future.

Travellers are raving about these Torquay hotels

Thetford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 August 2012

went on a coach holidays to this hotel very quite location hotel little dated but that does not matter food needed little more cooking ie the spuds but really enjoyed the stay and would stay again but would go for a balcony room

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
Gemma A, Manager at Hotel Richmond, responded to this review, 10 September 2012
I am really sorry that the hotel’s décor did not meet your expectations on this occasion. I would like to thank you for taking the time to us about the aspects of your stay that you did enjoy. Your comments regarding the food are being addressed by the hotel management team. I am pleased to read that overall you enjoyed your stay and we will look forward to welcoming you back in the future.