Hotel Richmond
US$128
US$102
  • Pool
  • Beachfront
Yardley Manor Hotel(Torquay)(Great Value!)
US$79
US$77
US$103
PremierInn.com
All reviewsgrand uksea viewchristmas decorationspleasant stayexcellent value for moneycoach partytea and coffeesea fronttown centrecannot faultbed and breakfastwarm welcomelovely roomyogurtbrianbalconybay
Reviewed 28 April 2014

Excellent value for money, Had a room with a see view and balconey. Hotel and room very clean and the staff were very friendly. Had a pool room with two tables (50p a game) Ten minute walk to the Harbour.

3  Thank Philip D
Gemma A, Guest Relations Manager at Hotel Richmond, responded to this reviewResponded 21 August 2014

Thank you for taking the time to write a review about our hotel.
We read all our reviews and take any negative feedback very seriously and try to resolve any issues swiftly.

Reviewed 26 April 2014

My husband and I stayed at The Richmond as part of a large group (48) on a short coach holiday. On arrival, the hotel looks rather dated, but we had a comfortable and relaxed 3-night stay. The bedroom was perfectly adequate with comfortable beds and everything worked as it should. The TV was small, but that wasn't a high priority. The outstanding positive feature about the hotel was the staff. From management to waiters, all were pleasant and helpful; how lovely to see young people still smiling and polite as they serve breakfast, apparently 'under pressure' when there appears to be some 'hiccup' in the kitchen. We were particularly impressed with waiters Bryony and James who appeared to be genuinely interested in their visitors. Breakfasts were good ('though I did miss the muesli); I would rate evening meals as 'average' (the same mashed potato for all 3 meals), though still good value for money.

Room Tip: Rooms at 'the back' have small balconies and a sea view (if a little distant). Lower rooms at the front are convenient but the view is of other nearby buildings/brick walls.
2  Thank Gallophile

Reviewed 21 April 2014

Stayed in room 25 (booked as a family room) with my wife and our 2 boys; 14 and 4 on 19/04/2014 for a night whilst in Torquay over the Easter Bank holiday weekend. Hope this review will be seen as constructive criticism; I've read through previous reviews and get the impression that the current management are trying to improve things so it's not my intention to undermine their effort and investment. However in my view they've a way to go yet. I'll explain.
On arrival, as you pull up in the street outside you notice the d is missing off of the Richmond sign; a detail perhaps but detracts from the first impression and surely a quick and cheap fix. Suggests poor maintenance at first glance.
The room itself looked dingey and drab although not dirty as such. Looked like it hadn't seen a coat of paint in many years and there was a poorly-filled vertical crack down one wall near to the door. Old and mis-matched furniture. This is a second floor room and we found that the sash windows had no locks on them, allowing them to open several inches; wide enough for a child to get through and fall onto the car park below. The TV was ancient and had 3 channels with very poor reception. So no cable TV here, nor wifi for that matter unless you wanted to sit in the reception area. Maybe not a bad thing really but it would be nice to have a choice in this day and age. The one picture in the room was coming apart and hanging at an angle away from the wall. Someone had helpfully stuck the back board on to the wall with tape so the picture was coming loose from the frame. Overnight we removed this as one of the boys was sleeping in the bed below it. Hmmm..
The bathroom was exactly the same one that my parents had in their house in the 1970's; I remember the suite taps and tiles well. The shower head had some elastoplast wound round the screw in bit, presumably to fix a leak or make it sit more snuggly in it's holder. The mounting bracket for a long-gone shower curtain rail was still screwed into the wall after how many years? No lock on the bathroom door.
Breakfast the following morning was a little chaotic but the staff were helpful and good with my 4 year old son which is always a plus point for me. I was told there were veggie sausages for a cooked breakfast then told that there weren't 15 mins later by a very apologetic waiter. Mind you, the breakfast we eventually got was lush so no complaints there.
Overall I can't say I was impressed. I wouldn't stay there again or recommend anyone else to do so as things stand. Maybe i'm being unrealistic and this is what you get if you opt to stay in a traditional seaside hotel. I can't help but think though that this retro-charm from the 70's has a very limited appeal these days and is turning away good business especially as it's got plenty of competition locally. So many of the details could have been attended to quickly and cheaply and would improve the guest's experience no end.

Room Tip: Don't expect wifi or cable. Ask for a modern, refurbished room.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
4  Thank TheGriffos

Reviewed 16 April 2014

We stayed at the Richmond for 3 nights on a coach tour. The food was good, the rooms reasonably clean and the communal areas comfy and welcoming. The best thing about the place was the staff - they were all friendly polite and helpful - you only had to ask for something and they would do their best to do it. Thanks to them all.

1  Thank GwenT356

Reviewed 11 April 2014

I have just returned from a short break at the Richmond Hotel. This hotel is old but is pleasantly maintained, functional and clean.

I booked a family room from a website for myself, my Son (8) and my Nephew (10), just as a pit stop for Woodlands, Living Coasts and Paignton Zoo. The price was reasonable for a B&B and booked a family room. After booking I did phone the hotel and the room we were allocated would have been a ground floor family room but I asked if we could be put in a balcony room as my Son/Nephew wanted to look out with their binoculars at the sea. The manager contacted me by email and reallocated a family room with a sea view at no extra cost - I was delighted.

After Woodlands for a full fun packed day we were ready to rest at the hotel, although the hotel is a few roads above the main promenade with a road including a few boarded up/in redevelopment hotels nearby, the area was pleasant.

On arrival we were greeted and checked in. The room was clean and a great size and the balcony was lovely. We went out that evening and didn't spend much time in the room apart from sleeping. It was surprisingly quiet.

Breakfast was lovely and the service was excellent.

Both nights were the same, no noise and great breakfast to start the day off.

I would recommend this hotel. It is not top of the range and if you can overlook a few decor issues and appreciate the hard work of the staff that assist to make your stay a happy one, then this is the hotel for you.

I will be back to stay again in the future.

Room Tip: Choose a room with a view. Our family room was number 36 and the view was amazing.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family